Digital Spy article - 'Should RD come back?'

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Stalfos, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Stalfos

Stalfos Third Technician

I found this article on Digitalspy.co.uk:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a152666/should-red-dwarf-return-again.html

Just wondering what you all make of it. Personally it pissed me off. Fair enough he has his opinions regarding RD, but he acts as though his opinion is fact and that all RD fans think the same. Also the 'general response has been lacklustre and more despairing than any squid that wrapped its tentacles around Dave Lister' is way off the mark.

2. funky1

funky1 Skutter

Whoever wrote that article is a smeghead. Seriously, biased much?

Ant E likes this.
  3. Pete78

Pete78 Third Technician

I think the article pretty much sums up what everyone who likes Red Dwarf but isn't a fanatic is thinking. This is 1000% right:

"Naylor must bite the bullet and allow a fresh, new writing team to give life and energy to the wonderful characters."

How many Seinfelds were written by Seinfeld and David? A small number (and some of the best ones weren't). Laugh gaps= The End.

4. SmegOnYourFace

SmegOnYourFace Third Technician

I hate to admit it, but that article talks a lot of sense. Don't shoot me, I liked BTE and thought it was a good addition to the Red Dwarf canon but there are some good points made and they have been made in more of a constructive way than many articles I've read about the show on the net.

We all desperately want Red Dwarf to be brilliant again, but I do feel fresh talent is needed to help Doug with the scripts.

5. Pete78

Pete78 Third Technician

Let's stop talking about a "Red Dwarf canon" ok? It sounds ludicrously pretentious to anyone outside this little RD world. There is a canon of Western literature. There is NOT a Red Dwarf canon lol

6. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

I really liked it as well but, I have to admit I was in our head office today and asked around 20 people what they thought of it, and I didn't have one good response.

Infact the entire building seemed to be of the general concensus it was "s**t" was one quote.

This is totally opposite my opinion but I've put a lot of effort into looking past the problems and finding the meat of it. I think casual viewers just didn't find a way to connect to it at all.

I hate it but it's just true. For a comeback special it was too Sci-fi heavy, required too much knowledge of Bladerunner and made an assumption that everyone would remember right away all the old series. It also was too risky in terms of the plot and where it went.

It might have been better as a two-parter to a series or something like that. As the glorious comeback special it was just too risky and too controversial, the exact opposite of what you need to try and stage a full-time comeback. I don't think anyone can argue that more could have been done on that score.

I'm becoming more devided the more people I talk too. I really love these shows but I do feel like the minority day-to-day.

7. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

Same bud,
    i thought these specials had some amazing things in them, and overall i enjoyed them; but Doug has gone down another contraversial(spelling?) route, and that's not a good thing to do when everyone was critical of 7 and 8's direction...

8. Teatime

Teatime Third Technician

Depends on BTE's goal. As a tribute show for the fans I think it was great. As bait for a new audience... well, judging by the reviews it was unsuccessful; but then, most critics strike me as parasites whose egos prefer they slate something to attract more attention.

And the ratings were great, which suggests either Red Dwarf has a large hardcore following or BTE entertained the casual fan.

9. Archdoodler

Archdoodler Skutter

True on all counts, but as with anything, could have been better. Someone else said in another thread that Dave probably won't commission a whole series but if it'll be specials, there is a load of fans and writers out there with great ideas that could be tapped into.

10. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    Yeah it's not as if the viewing figures of the first showings of each episode nearly halved from the first episode to the third is it?

11. Stalfos

Stalfos Third Technician

Has the general response been lackluster and despairing has it?