Episode 3 Overnight Ratings

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Holly_Hilly, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Holly_Hilly

Holly_Hilly Third Technician

Hello,

Does anybody have the overnight ratings for Back to Earth Part 3?

Thanks.

2. wannabe

wannabe First Technician

I found this for the first episode: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a152469/new-red-dwarf-pulls-in-over-2-million.html

New 'Red Dwarf' pulls in over 2 million

Saturday, April 11 2009, 10:05 BST

By Neil Wilkes, Editor
    New 'Red Dwarf' pulls in over 2 million

The return of Red Dwarf for its first new episode in ten years was a huge hit for multichannel Dave last night, according to early ratings figures.

The first episode of a three-part reunion special, Red Dwarf: Back To Earth, pulled in 2.06m (10%) for Dave between 9pm and 9.30pm. A further 341k (1.9%) watched at 10pm on timeshift channel Dave ja vu.

A subsequent screening of a classic episode took 1.01m (5.1%) at 9.30pm.

The success of Red Dwarf helped Dave to a primetime share of 3.2%, making it the most popular multichannel station of the night by a margin of almost one share point.

3. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

Then by part 2, the viewers dropped to 900,000. People are smegheads,
    i can't find the figures for part 3 though...Hmmm

4. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

Hmmm...Was wondering about this myself, be interesting to know if they went back up again after the drop in viewers of Part 2...

5. wannabe

wannabe First Technician

It was a Saturday night.
    I think tonights figures will be the most interesting, being a Monday and all 3 parts together.
    Only problem being it does clash with the BBC2 episode of Heroes.

6. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

Edit: see below.

7. lob337

lob337 Third Technician

a lot of the reason for this may be the casual viewers - why it dropped from 2 mil down so low on sunday. case and point - my sister who has seen every episode but doesnt own any dvds or novels - shes what you might consider a casual fan - she only watched part 1 but didnt come back for parts 2 and 3 because she was dissapointed. my parents also did the same. now a lot of this is probably due to it being split into 3 nights rather than the quality of the show itself...because p1 had such a slow buildip in its pace - it didnt intice a lot of casual viewers to return - again i think the decision to split it into 3 really hurt it

8. Teatime

Teatime Third Technician

I can't see anything on DigitalSpy, I assume because it's a bank holiday. Ratings will be in tomorrow, I think.

Confirmed: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/completecoverage/ratings/

Nothing for Sunday yet. Dunno what the poster above me is blabbing about.

9. TheAmazingDannyKing

TheAmazingDannyKing Catering Officer

I used the search function on Digital Spy.

It does not seem to work in date order though so I've been looking at an article from February.

Shame mode. I, I, sorry.

10. Teatime

Teatime Third Technician

No need to apologise :-)

I just sometimes get sick of instinctive negativity, of which I see a lot on the Internet.

11. karcreat

karcreat Second Technician

Greetings from the USA!

Man, I am SOOO glad this series FINALLY came back...and DAMN if the entire cast didnt look FAN-SMEGIN'-TASTIC, especially after 20 years...WOW!

I am hoping that, within this thread, someone might be able to inform me as to whether or not your ratings for the three part return were good enough to warrant a full series come back?

Any info would be MUCH appreciated....thanks in advance!

K

12. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Hi Karcreat. The ratings were very good. Still a bit early to tell if a new series will be produced as a lot of reaction in reviews and by fans online has been 50/50. However, if we're going by ratings alone, a new series would seem very possible.

13. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

I find BTE's structure a little sad, in VIII's DVD Doug said how Back in the red was damaged as a show by being a three parter, and in the Official Red Dwarf companion (written between series V-VI) i'm pretty sure it states how Rob and Doug wanted it to be BBC because a 30 min slot was the minimum needed to tell a good story. Sad really, i know Dave wanted more viewing figures but the three parter made an awful lot of people turn off. You wouldn't split Blade Runner into three parts over a weekend.

14. karcreat

RE, BTE...

What kills me is that the way the final season ended, the new eps don't seem to 'fit' well...started BTE with the online text of 'Ten Years Later', with NO explanation as to how the gang was all re-united (when last seen, Rimmer was stuck in this reality, the rest had gone 'into the mirror universe', etc) when there had been a MUCH BETTER finale filmed for 'Only The Good' which resolved everything...I'm sure everyone here has seen it, on the DVD release....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQDQ2EbnK1E

Wondering if anyone has ever edited this ending into the existing episode, to 'fix' the cliffhanger version, as the 'alternate ending' fits MUCH better into the BTE set up/ opening, etc... would LOVE to have that version of 'Only The Good...'

K

15. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

It fits. We just don't know what happened in the time in between. 2 series worth of time in between.

16. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

it was a big mistake to make it a 3 parter i think, as part 1 was so slow with doug trying to fit in useless bunkroom scenes to please fans, and a few other pointless gags, which slowed the story down alot, and i think if you look at series 5 you can see how comedy can be used in a fast paced story, but part 1 was just slow and by the time it ended i dont think alot of people understood what the hell was going on

i think it all could be cut down to a 2 parter, just remove some of the more pointless gags or small dialogue to move the story along, and by the time the first part had finished then alot of people would be more interested to see what happened next

its a shame that alot of people didnt watch after the first part

17. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I think the bunk scenes overall were a good thing but they could do with tightening up. Which is apparently exactly what they did with the Director's Cut!

18. karcreat

You might find this interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vNy1CWtniw

K

19. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

Actually I like this cut a lot...