Episode 4 - Entangled

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by dodgebizkit, Oct 24, 2012.

1. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

Right, my two cents!

After last week professing my love of Lemons, I have, on rewatch, downgraded it to about 5th on my scale of Red Dwarf favourites. I did not expect this week to do better. I thought the trailers were among the worst of what we'd seen, and I also wasn't keen on the synopsis.

How wrong I was. Entangled turned out to be, for me at least, a truly classic episode. The jokes were consitantly funny, the story worked better than the rest of Series X so far, and the moment where soft light, red dressed Rimmer returned had me giggling like a fan-girl. I liked the Beggs, and the coincidence subplot was weaved in, in a way that was so clever it was a million lightyears ahead of Taiwan Tony and his chinese knickers.

The meetings of the subplot and main subplot, mainly the "Choking" and the IRENE.E. coincidences, were funny, and well thought out, and were generally inkeeping with the rest of this, brilliant episode.

However, there were two gripes. Listers speech about the death of the crew felt too expositiony, almost a "For those of you who haven't seen the classic series..." moment. And the ending felt out of place.

Still, overall... a solid 9/10

So i'm now giving the series so far...

Trojan 7.5/10
    Fathers and Suns 6/10
    Lemon 7/10
    Entangles 9/10

Average so far... 7.3/10

Series X, a success so far, and on par with 1-6.

2. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I watched that thinking, "This just isn't building tension properly." :lol: Still, a great idea and a great episode.

3. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Terrible gag. Just terrible.

4. RobeH56

RobeH56 Third Technician

There was a touch of nostalgia to the episode, but at no point did it feel like a rehash. As a writer myself (he said modestly) I can imagine how difficult it must be coming up with completely new plots and jokes all the time. I'd like to see some of the geniuses on here have a crack!

5. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

Eeeerrr, how is it anything like a rehash of the snack machine self destruct joke?

6. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

everything you don't like is 'lazy writing'

7. simulant37

Not at all, but a lot of things in Red Dwarf that I dislike are down to 'lazy writing'.

8. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

Your attitude and constant negativity here is getting really really old

9. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

I completely disagree. The main thing I thought about the first three episodes was that they felt VERY different to old Dwarf. And Trojan in particular explored a LOT of new ground, I felt.

I did find myself wanting the belt to explode anyway after it hit the ground and Lister had sighed in relief, causing him to lose his legs or something, but there'd be no way to 'fix' him without rehashing old tricks.

10. james3325

james3325 Second Technician

it was ok much better than last week started good but didn't end well

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

There's nothing like a great Red Dwarf episode to put me in a good mood. I feel really happy now.

12. simulant37

Well it quite obviously would have been; the crew panicking about aborting the self destruct on lister's groinal exploder undercut by the comedy of it not working anyway is VERY similar to the crew panicking about aborting the snack machine self destruct undercut by the comedy of it not working anyway.

13. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Similar, in the sense of the height (or the 'body' if you like) but not quite the same.

What has surprised me is that not one person, to my knowledge at least has yet noticed or pointed out the fact that Lister now appears to have a full head of dreds! Or at least they no longer seem to be sown in just at the back. They now start much further towards his forehead.

I prefer his hair this way by the way, but I'm surprised nobody has pointed it out. Mind you I did get a very good look at the ep 2 recording, with my mini binoculars (seriously). :-)

14. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

It's strange that you say this is the best episode so far, yet rated Trojan higher, and said you enjoyed that episode. Something tells me somebody wants attention.

15. james3325

james3325 Second Technician

the belt could of exploded and kryten could of given lister archie

16. ben996

ben996 First Technician

Okay I am also a sit-com writer and I know it can be difficult, but for my sit-com I have a million different ideas so since it's his sit-com he must also have many

17. Robert26

Robert26 Second Technician

Along with F&S, this episode had a real feel good factor.

18. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

apart from some confusion with the overall logic of the episode which may be one of the most slightly confusing episodes to date i actually felt it was more like classic dwarf, i see some of it in lemons and even more here

19. simulant37

Am simply offering my opinions. Please keep on topic though. . .if it really is getting old then trying to protract the debate with posts like the above don't really help do they :roll:

20. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

I noticed it right away, but obviously the first time I saw the new look for the crew was several months ago now :-p

I like that their looks have been updated for this series. With the exception of Kryten, I'd say that this series is my favourite 'look' for them all... which is a big thing because I really loved the season 6 outfits and didn't think they'd ever be replaced as my preferred 'look'.