Future Episode Possibilities

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by misterjohnsparks, Oct 27, 2012.

1. misterjohnsparks

misterjohnsparks Second Technician

Beyond discussing Kochanski there doesn't seem to be a great deal of chatter about things we'd like to finally see, or see addressed in future post-X episodes. So I'm going to start this thing off with Cats.

A Cats episode would, obviously, see the return of one of the arks that left Red Dwarf for the Holy Land. But perhaps Red Dwarf itself has become a legend. The Cats return to Red Dwarf and I can imagine scenes with all the cats arching their backs and hissing at the crew, being overly demanding for food, then just disappearing for no reason as cats do. I can also see a 'Cat Lady' gag in here. Maybe some disgusting old biddy GELF has taken all the cats into her care, and has been leading them back to Red Dwarf. We could also get to see the presumable Cat City that was home to the Cat civilisation in Red Dwarf's cargo hold, as described in the first novel.

Cats.

2. starlight84uk

starlight84uk Third Technician

I like the idea of a cat episode. But I want to given what I want in a way I didn't expect.

My idea for a future episode is Lister or Cat are injured and only Rimmer is around to take care of them and eventually operate on them. I'm thinking Marooned type but with an immediate danger.

3. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I posted this a couple of years ago and with potential scheduling problems with Craig's corrie duties I still think it could possibly work.

4. BruceFivesyth

BruceFivesyth First Technician

I think that if any of the main cast members are unavailable in the future that if would be better not to make the show. The episodes that Rimmer didn`t appear in (and the scenes he didn`t appear in in Ouroboros and Blue) in Series VII are generally desperately lacking. As Doug seems to favour writing for Lister, I think he would be missed even more.

5. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I think there is a difference between a person leaving the show and a person appearing only minimally or not at all in one episode. Marooned showed us what scope there could be for a simple two man show as Cat and Kryten could easily not have even been in that episode and it would still have been fantastic.

I also think that what series VII proved is that Rimmer, more so than Lister is the character that is most heavily missed. He is the central antagonist among the crew and nearly all of the show's comedy is derived from him. I don't think an episode without him would ever truly work but I do think that an episode that is very Rimmer-centric could easily work without Lister. Holoship for example, is an episode where Lister barely features and is very funny and a very good story.

6. BruceFivesyth

I see your point but there are 2 possible problems. Doug hasn`t really written any really strong Rimmer episodes solo. And is Chris Barrie capable of acting in the way he used to? I watched his ep of Blackadder recently (along with some early Dwarf eps obviously) and I don`t know if he can act like that anymore.

7. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

I would like to see more focus on rimmer being a hologram again - since he became hard light hes been another member of the crew just with an H on his head, apart from that one time he soft-lighted through the wall (which is incorrect, objects can enter/break light but light can't penetrate opaque objects and he should have been simulated bumping the wall- but this is just nitpicking :P) and to bring up his misery about being dead and all that would be good, maybe even have his hardlight capability damaged/removed for a few episodes and have him cope with that, stories about rimmer being sad about it and looking for aliens to give him a body, him finding ways to get a body (swapping bodies with lister, DNA in dandruff) and so forth were good stories.

8. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

Hmm... that's actually not a bad idea. So far in RDX (and in BTE) Rimmer has been hard-light. Making him soft-light for an episode, with both him having to adjust back to it and the crew having to adjust to him and having to help him would probably make for an interesting episode, if written well enough.

9. BruceFivesyth

If the writing were on the money then it would be interesting to see them attempt a pure character-based episode maybe just set in the bunk room. One Foot in the Grave famously did this of course with an episode set solely in Victor and Margaret`s bedroom and there hasn`t been a dialogue-centred episode since Duct Soup (which was scuppered by featuring Kochanski instead of Rimmer).

Plus it would save money for other episodes.

10. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

Completely agree with above post. I think that one episode could be based just in the bunkrooms, and have nothing but dialogue going on between the four of them. Character based episodes where there is lots of dialogue and not much cgi always appeals to me more. Other than that I'd like to see most of the other episodes feature things on the ship. I used to love the way the size of the ship was portrayed like when Rimmer took a trip around the diesel decks. That really helped to make it feel like a huge ship with lots of places to discover just on the ship alone.

RAGE

11. mophead241

mophead241 Catering Officer

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/forum/messages.cfm?threadid=8DF3D245-1999-AFED-B4567F90EC8FEFFE

Don't know how to make it linky, but we've done somethng similar in the Garbage Pod a while ago.

12. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer