Hologram Service Expectancy - Rimmer

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by H is for Hologram, May 23, 2020.

1. H is for Hologram

H is for Hologram Third Technician

So, I was just pondering how long a hologram could have expected to be active on the original Red Dwarf. I would have assumed that because Red Dwarf only mined in our solar system, that they had regular ports of call, and the incredible power it took to generate even a soft light, projected hologram would require, that if someone who was vital to the mining operation died, that they would be brought back as a hologram until they reached a moon/planet where they could recruit or hire a replacement. So maybe weeks or months.

I've been watching reaction videos from a person who had never seen Red Dwarf before (or maybe a few scenes when he was a child) and he keeps asking why Rimmer never changes or even wants to change. And the thought came to me that a hologram, in the original sense, wouldn't need to change if they were only supposed to be active for a relatively short period of time.

It also occurred to me that Rimmer, in TPL had an existential crisis based on something he knew and even voiced when he was first regenerated as a hologram. "I'm not really here. I'm not really me. I'm a computer simulation of me..." Had 25 or so years as the ships hologram made him forget what he was, when he originally knew it right off the bat.

Thoughts?

2. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

Interesting, I've never thougt about it this way. Even holograms should have their emloyment contract, so probably they were replaced by somebody else when it ended.

For Rimmer, it was weird he had this existential crisis again. He must have dealt with the issue and Cat just brought it back to mind. In TPL, it was also connected with Rimmer reviewing his holographic life and time with Lister...

H is for Hologram likes this.
  3. H is for Hologram

H is for Hologram Third Technician

Also, maybe the fact that he was running on a lower power level, which made him feel less real than he was as a projected, soft light hologram.
    [/QUOTE]

Asclepius likes this.
  4. Rodthepod

Rodthepod First Technician

Captured and living in the belly of a whale.
    You could imply from what was said at George McIntyre’s funeral that his runtime wound be terminated at the end of the mission, since they only ran him because of his importance to the mission.

My big question is after the death of the crew, would George still be running? If he was, did he live out the rest of his life waiting to die (we know he can from Rimmer World) and would Holly bring someone else back just to keep himself sane?

5. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

Holly does say something to the effect of ‘I’ve been on me own for millions of years, I’m just used to saying what I think’ after suggesting Lister could use Kochanski to grit the driveway, so I think George was either switched off or he perished somehow (holo projection suite damaged?) with the rest of the crew

UltraDevotee and Asclepius like this.
  6. Rodthepod

Rodthepod First Technician

Captured and living in the belly of a whale.
    If a hologram lives for 60 years, and Holly ran through all 10,000 crew members (books) that is only 600,000 years. So he would still be alone for 2.4 million years.

7. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

True but he could have just gone round again, reboot them from fresh.

8. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Not sure I’m that bothered so probably the wrong person to ask @Rodthepod