how would you like to see Red Dwarf end?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Robert26, Oct 27, 2012.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

For the life of me I'll never understand fans who take up this viewpoint. Surely the whole point of the series IS that Lister is trying to get home. It only makes sense that at the conclusion he finds one.

I could understand not having him arrive home in series 11 and then making series 12 and 13 set on Earth. That would be like that stupid Porridge spin off where Fletcher is released and living back with his wife...but were talking about the point where Red Dwarf would stop...not where it would continue for further adventures.

I'm note sure what zombie apocalypse alternate ending to Friends you watched. I simply saw an ending where people grew up and entered relationships/found happiness. Everyone in the ending I watched was still friends and there was no indication that they would never see each other again or that "their lives have ceased". It's unrealistic to expect people to live like singleton twenty somethings forever.

2. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

I posted it already, but seriously, how funny would it be if the show came completely full circle - they're back on Earth. It's almost as Lister remembers, but slightly different (eg more advanced technology, more species have evolved to become humanoid, etc)

But now that they're on Earth, Lister wants to celebrate, and does so by taking Rimmer, Cat and Kryten on a Monopoly Board Pub Crawl:
    [​IMG]

The last we see of them is as they're heading off to the first square on the board :-D

3. bedfordfalls

Is that how the series began though?

I think you're thinking of the novel.

4. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

What I meant with the Friends analogy was that the status quo had virtually remained the same for ten years and then in a split second, it all changed. They grow up and move on. The show as we knew it was over, and beginning was a new show, one that we hadn't seen. I found it hard to accept that as the ending. I couldn't visualize those characters and their lives from that point on because I had never seen those characters. It was a new story. With Scrubs you knew what was coming, the future the same as the present, and that comforted me. With Friends, I didn't know what to think. It was a new story. Different characters, different stories, different show. I didn't feel comforted by that, in fact, quite the opposite.

5. bedfordfalls

It hardly changed in a split second though did it?

Monica and Chandler had been in a relationship for a long time and Ross and Rachael realising they were meant for each other was pretty much what every fan who loved those characters hoped would happen.

The only thing that bugged me about Friends final shows was that horribly awkward (and American) moment where Phoebe basically dumped and humiliated Hank Azaria when handsome Mike showed up out of the blue. Nothing to do with the finale but that was a really awful moment for the show when the least superficial character made such an awfully superficial choice. that never would have happened in a British comedy.

6. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

Okay, franchise goes full circle, not the show

7. Ally1990

Ally1990 First Technician

@bedfordfalls

What I meant was the changes hit me in a split second, not that they happened in a split second. I'm crap at making a point.

It's just a thought I had. I'm going to leave that there, you're a good lad so I don't want to start an argument or a debate with you and let it escalate and cause a fall out. It happens far too often on here.

Let's agree that Red Dwarf should carry on and on and on...

8. bedfordfalls

Can't really agree to that, I'm afraid, since I'm one of those people who are in favour of it reaching a natural end.

I will say though, that I would rather it go on and on and on over the ending Doug had planned for series 8. :shock:

9. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

I just think that ending the series in some sort of final conclusion leaves nothing to the imagination. If he (Lister) arrives back on earth then everything's set in stone as to how the story ends. I would much prefer it to end on a normal episode and then give the viewers the freedom of their own imaginations as to what happens to each of the characters.

Saying that, even a final conclusion is not always a final conclusion, because new writers can come in and change things totally (which is generally not a good idea). Take Star Wars, for instance. I always thought that Boba Fett dies and that's it. But NO! If you buy the books (which I haven't done) he doesn't get eaten but returns and causes havoc here there and everywhere. I definitely wouldn't want that sort of thing to happen to RD!

I much prefer the routine of drifting through space and we decide in our own minds what happens in the end.

RAGE

10. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I guess that the writers (whoever they are at the time) would have to decide if this was really "it". As soon as Red Dwarf ends, we don't want it spoilt by having a "Red Dwarf - The Next Generation" or something like that.

I'd like it if the audience had no idea, throughout the series, that Earth was coming up. The series is as normal until, at the very earliest, the last episode where they suddenly encounter Earth partway through (the rest of the episode can be centred on what Earth is like now). Say, partway through the final episode, all is normal until the crew come across Earth. Then have the rest of the episode play out as the writers decide.

I do, however, like the idea that someone mentioned before of the crew encountering Earth right at the end, then as the credits play you can hear their reactions (probably including Kryten going "oh my sirs, look at all the ironing to be done!", Lister exclaiming that they've concocted a new, ultra-hot curry, and both Cat and Rimmer saying "girls! And they want to have sex with me!"). Depends how much they want to leave to the imagination. Alternatively, it could simply hint at what's there. I feel that would be a pretty poetic end to Red Dwarf - Earth may have been the "aim of the game" as it were, but it's certainly not what the show's about.

11. bedfordfalls

I don't get why you two are so worried about "new writers" coming in and messing with Dwarf's heritage.

Red Dwarf isn't some property owned by a TV network which can be licensed out to whomsoever chooses against the wishes of its creators. Red Dwarf is owned by Grant Naylor Productions and its Doug Naylor who would have any such say.

Also its not as if Red Dwarf is some massive franchise like Star Wars where there is the potential to exploit all aspects of its universe. It's essentially a sit-com based around three or four characters.

I don't get the argument that by giving Red Dwarf a satisfying ending on television that essentially means there is no room for "new adventures". Let's say it ends with Lister and co settling up home on some planet and looking to restart the human race. What exactly prevents you from using your imagination to come up with further adventures? How often do you actually sit doing this anyway?

The only circumstance where there could never be any more adventures in your imagination would be if everyone was killed off...and even then in the world of sci-fi death isn't really the handicap it used to be in the olden days...

12. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

How often do you sit when restarting the human race? Well, there are a number of positions that involve sitting, no doubt more if you check out Lister's zero-g Karma Sutra.

Nevertheless, I don't think I'd like more Red Dwarf unless it actually involved space shenanigans on Red Dwarf (or, by extension, Starbug). I guess you could call me a purist, but Red Dwarf, as a show, does one thing - outer space comedy with four people alone on a ship - and it does that very well (though to differing degrees depending on the series). I guess it did manage VIII as best it could with the newly-expanded cast. Star Wars, Star Trek, and even Stargate and Battlestar Galactica (not that I've seen much Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica) seem to have a much bigger amount that they routinely do, and larger storylines to do them in that they can change what's going on more easily, going from all the political stuff in the early Star Wars to saving the galaxy and destroying the Death Star.

Maybe that's just trying to oversimplify it - basically, I for one don't feel that Red Dwarf can get back to Earth and then carry on without changing the show substantially.

13. KrytensPenis

KrytensPenis Third Technician

A stupid question coming up now.

Has "there" actually been any talk of a series XI?

Because in my mind, the perfect episode title for the final ever episode would surely be "The Beginning" as opposed to the first episode called "The End", and the final episode of series X is just called that. Could this be the final series?

edit: I spelt "there" as "their" by mistake, and I ain't 'avin' it !!!

14. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

Well, it may have been a joke. But a few months back I asked Doug Naylor his fav ep on Twitter, and he said "The one I'm writing at the moment"

15. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

Well, it may have been a joke. But a few months back I asked Doug Naylor his fav ep on Twitter, and he said "The one I'm writing at the moment"

16. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

It seems to me that the episode isn't an end to the show at all but is rather the beginning of a new chapter in the Red Dwarf story. Anyway, they've not made an episode called The Middle yet.:-)

17. Dsnow_con

Dsnow_con Third Technician

I much prefer both Earth and Kochanski to be macguffins.

18. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

This is the correct answer. No more posts need to be made.

19. bedfordfalls

It seems like you've misunderstood more than one portion of my post. I'm talking about them finding a "home" as being the finale of the show. No more episodes to follow.

When I said it doesn't exclude the possibility for more adventures I'm referring to the people who are like: "No, they can't get home because then I can't imagine them in space in my head anymore decades after the show ends."
    My point was...why not? Imagination is boundless. Just imagine they fall through a wormhole that takes them back to Red Dwarf if it means that much to you and you want to (selfishly) have them trapped in deep space forever, growing old and eventually dying on board Red Dwarf never getting to achieve their goals.

I wonder what Lister would make of people who think this way. Maybe it was a missed opportunity not to explore this in Back to Earth.

The idea that the classic seasons of Friends, for example, are now somehow unwatchable because you know that they no longer all live together but instead moved on with there lives is a very strange one to me. As Lister says "you meet people and you move on, like". I remember that scene bothered me as a teenager. It doesn't as an adult because I understand the sentiment behind it. All things come to an end and I'd rather they came to a relatively happy one, because, like Lister I'm a foolish romantic about these kinds of things. :lol:

On a side note, if anything I find earlier episodes funnier in contrast to knowing about later events. For example, Rimmer's speculation in The Last Day about Lister's potentially dodgy DNA is funny at the time but its even funnier to me now in light of Ouroboros and how close he actually was to the truth.

20. Dsnow_con

Dsnow_con Third Technician

I wouldn't say that an ending would detract from my enjoyment earlier episodes, but I really don't see any need for a definitive conclusion. It's the journey, not the destination and what not.