i liked back to earth

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by voo7hees, Oct 5, 2009.

1. voo7hees

voo7hees Third Technician

why did people hate back to earth, i thought it was brilliant and a great return to red dwarf, the only 3 things i didn't like was
    1, there was no holly
    2, there was no studio laugh audience
    3, each episode was only like 24mins (should be 27 - 30 like the orignials)
    but other than that it was a great 3 parter

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Have you had a read through the Back To Earth threads at the top of this conference?

The feedback was, as far as I remember, mostly positive.

3. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

The majority of us liked it. The thing is those who didn't are a lot louder than us! For some reason people who don't like things tend to be a lot more vocal about it than people who do.

4. voo7hees

voo7hees Third Technician

okay now i know that most of us liked it

5. Cepillo

Cepillo Third Technician

These are my thoughts on BTE from the review I did on amazon:

Back to Earth is a decent attempt at reviving Red Dwarf - a show that I love. There are some good elements in this special. The cast, as always, are great. These characters are familiar and well defined and it's really like they never went away.

The new CGI interiors work well for the cargo bay etc - where a sense of scale is needed. CGI was obviously used to cut costs. I suppose with the bunkroom barely featuring it didn't make sense for them to design and build an actual set - but it would have been nice.

There is no laughter track (or more accurately, no live audience) which I think diminishes the heady atmosphere of the show and the silence fails to punctuate the gags like the laughter once did. This is much missed.

The plot is a rehash of Back to Reality with some metaphysical, Blade Runner inspired, nonsense that isn't particularly coherent or gripping thrown in. The show runs for 70 minutes and was originally 3 x 30 minute shows (actually less, for the advertisement breaks). It starts well, the scenes on the ship, the re-introduction of the characters, the beginnings of the plot and the bunkroom banter is brilliant.

When they leave the ship and actually get back to Earth, I'm sorry to say the show really falls apart and disappears up its own behind. As I said, there are plenty of good things in the special, some of the writing is top notch, and there are quite a few genuinely solid gags. However, there aren't enough to fill 70 minutes and the quality of the writing feels a bit inconsistent. Maybe 2 x 30 minute episodes would have been more suited to the depth of material. So, to summarise, not a bad effort, a sort of levelling off of the decline from series 7 and 8, but not a lot to inspire hope that the new series will be as good as the Dwarf of old.

6. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Decent review. (I agree with some points, not others but that's okay as it's all opinion.)

I wouldn't be too quick to judge a possible new series on Back To Earth though. (Not that I disliked it.) They had a rather limited time to do it. Also the nature of the episodes were that they were meant to be anniversary episodes, hence all the reason for all the self referential stuff. They could quite easily have gone down the flashback route. Credit to them, they didn't do that.

As for the similarity to 'Back to Reality', they could have used a number of different tools to implement the same idea. Doug Naylor chose to revisit hallucinogenic squid concept from Back To Reality as a homage to a fan favourite. It wasn't meant to be a rehash.

Anyhow, point is, BtE were anniversary episodes. The new series won't be, so we shouldn't judge them by BtE. At least not in that context. I think there are some things that might be carried over, like the more filmic look for example and the effects, and I doubt it will ever be the sitcom it used to be*, but that's something else, and I think there is much good that can be carried over.

*I'm talking purely the style and genre i.e. a move into comedy drama from sitcom. This isn't a prejudgement of the future show's quality.

7. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

I liked it too, made me believe there is actually hope for the future of red dwarf and naylors' writing.
    The use of CGI sets and SFX were great and worked compared to series VII - but I do think there is still credibility in having audience laughter in the show - and I don't mean canned laughter, you can just screen the episode in post-production to a select audience and add that track in post-dub - of course this isn't an option if there aren't going to be any laughs.