I think a big problem was

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jacksmith, Apr 26, 2009.

1. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

Doug directing, i know he has a vision, blah blah blah;
    but was Ed Bye not prepaired to do it or was he never contacted and was Doug all along?
    I think it might have eased people in to the first section aboard the
    small rougue one better, or am i not understanding a director's role?

2. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

To be fair, nobody seems to get how a production works, what a director does, how script editing functions, anything. It's important to look a director's body of work and get some sense of what they bring. Their strengths and priorities in their various projects. What does Ed bring to what he films, what are the common things? Pace may be one of them - but, in my opinion, in a million years he could never have made the remembrance garden scene work as well as it did.

That said, I don't think anything about part one was remotely 'garbled', and I'm confused by the statement. Slower-paced, certainly - though I maintain this is the nature of a 'pilot', since part one both is a statement of a status-quo and the first act of a longer story - but what nothing was unclear.

Y'know, I keep meaning to do a Back to Earth response thread and I never get around to it. Maybe once the DVD's done.

3. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I agree that it wasn't garbled at all. I had no difficulty understanding what was happening (except for the mystery stuff we weren't meant to know until the end obviously,) and the remembrance scene was certainly paced well.

I did think the bunk scene where Cat describes his altercation with the squid felt a bit off though. Not what was said so much, mainly the pauses between lines. I'm not sure if that is simply because I am used to expecting the laughter etc, although I understand why it wasn't there, and I had forgotten all about that in the next two episodes.

And sure, some of the jokes didn't work for me, but others did. Swings and roundabouts like any comedy.

4. stevenrankin

stevenrankin Third Technician

Am I seeing things or are there threads called Back to Earth to talk about back to earth or am I an idoit and not undertsanding what logic is

5. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

My personal opinion is this: You know how kittens go bonkers when they're startled? They scramble along walls like crazy. The slightest claw-hold is all they need, they just zoom upwards and along with momentum getting them to places that seem impossible for them to reach.

Well, that's how I feel about this. Cat may have come in via the door, but with a fear-fuelled scramble that saw him zooming up the hand- and foot-holds around the dome's struts...before dropping down beside Lister.

But that's just me. The truth, I'm sure, it that it's just a greenscreen thing - it's so hard to know where the set is when shooting in an artificial reality!

6. jacksmith

I've never hated part 1 and was a defender of it, i liked Back to Earth it was not perfect but i don't think many things are,
    i spose the main reason this was started to find out if Ed was ever involved or was he never an option. I didn't think part 1 was garbled but this was to get some idea perhaps that a contributing reason to some peoples reaction was that part 1 didn't make much sense; i never had the problem with the specials i guess it was a misleading remark and one i ritract.

I get it, so they perhaps might've used Ed but because of the feel to the specials Doug wanted to convey, wasn't what Ed would bring?

I guess the reason people didn't like it was because the pace changed like a movie, when they expected a sitcom format, sorry everyone.
    *Slaps self*

Oh and i thought cat jumped from an air-duct, he used them in his entrance in "the end" let's not forget.

7. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Doug wanted to direct. It's his show. He directed. Honestly, that's kinda the whole thing. Man knows what he wants to do with his show, and he did it. Nobody else was approached.

You appoint a director kinda how you cast an acting part, or any other role on a production, in that you find someone who brings to the job the elements you most want. So you find a director of photography who gets what you want to do with the look. You find a production designer who's on the same page creatively. Just as you cast a sci-fi store owner based on a performance style that matches what you have in your head...or even, hopefully, enhances it.

If you're looking for TV directors, what does a particular person bring? Will they get the emotion you want, the visual style, the actor performances, find the comedy beats. Look at the way the direction on the show changes under different names. 'Old Ed' had a paired down, simple, old-school style matched with a technical proficiency; 'new Ed' has a slightly bigger, more anarchic sense of humour. Andy De Emmony seems to be very keen on credibility, on solidity, and more deliberate, straight performances. (This is all written as a viewer, by the way. I was never on any of these sets.)

Grant Naylor's Series V direction has a darker tone to it. It's also a little more emotionally aware, I think. Quarantine and Back to Reality are both oddly chilling, and affecting, entries to the series, as well as being unafraid to place silliness right next door to horror. And I'd argue that Doug's direction on Back to Earth mirrors that.

8. jacksmith

I'd agree with you there Andrew, and i actually thought Back to earth had some near tear-jerking moments, i suppose the lesson i take away from this is: make sure you know what your topic is about and how to word it, guess i didn't manage to figure out or ask myself what the thread was about, i suppose that i should have really just asked about Ed, would have been more straight; and now that i remember the great moments in these specials i suppose the thread saying Doug was part of the problem was utter twaddle, aside from the fact that these were controversial specials there's nout much wrong with 'em. But that's just my opinion.

9. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

I think there is a strange mixture in Back to Earth. The best scenes I think are the dramatic ones but then there are the really over the top scenes as well with big performances which jar imo.

I would be interested to know what the intention was with a scene early in the second ep. Rimmer has to walk from off camera, go around Kryten and Lister and then position himself to deliver a nothing line. It`s bizarre.

10. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

you mean his "I read about that in history" line? Yes that did fall a little flat due to the gap between Lister's punchline and Rimmer walking to his spot but I think the intention was to remind first time viewers, "Look they're in the past now" although I think most people could have figured that out from everything that went on previously.

Other than that though I think Doug's direction was very good. I can't say I had any real complaints with it.

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i believe doug was more excited about the idea of directing it then we was writing it