If you could see them revisit any set from the ship again?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by naranja, Apr 11, 2020.

1. naranja

naranja Third Technician

Say the episode has them exploring the whole ship for some reason, perhaps searching for something that has broken into the ship. If you could be permitted to have one old set/location from the Red Dwarf ship be seen again (even if they briefly walk past it and it isn't mentioned again), which would it be?

I'd like to see them walk past the old series one level nivelo (whatever the number was) grey corridors from series one and past Listers stasis pod he was in in the first episode.

It wouldn't have to be acknowledged but it would be cool to see them walk down a corridor they haven't walked down for decades (as presumably they all upped and moves multiple times to better quarters and then had no reason to ever walk the old corridors or rooms they would have explored miles away, years ago).

2. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

I'd love to see the original drive room from series I. I know they hated it, so they changed it for II, but it's one of my favourite sets.

Or the drive room from III-V, which is also fantastic.

3. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

The observation deck from series 2. Was a bit cramped to be fair but they could spruce it up a bit and it would have been Brill for Rimmer's existential brooding in TPL.

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm another that would like to see the return of the original drive room from season I (though that's never going to happen since it looks so very dated today with those ancient computers). Whenever I'm giving the show a watch all the way through from the beginning (or rather from The End) I'm always disappointed when season II comes around and the drive room has a completely different look. I never liked the look of the season II drive room at all. It was much more colourful and yet somehow less appealing.

An obvious one, but I'd also like to see the return of the early bunk room. They did a fantastic job of recreating it for season VIII (one of the few positive aspects of that season) and then went and completely wasted it by barely using it. Was it ever on screen again beyond that one scene where Lister and the new Rimmer meet?

Also I want them to revisit that magnificent cargo bay we saw in Back to Earth. The one they were in when Katerina first appears after the encounter with the squid. We got to see the huge internal vastness of Red Dwarf like never before.

5. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I've said it many times in other threads but the best possible way they could (and in my opinion should) do this is by revisiting Stasis Leak in the same way the Deep Space 9 crew revisited the Original Star Trek show.

6. Jape of The Decade

Jape of The Decade First Technician

I'd like to see revisit them of the Starbug set from around series 6. I've tried hard to suspend my imagination and yes TPL was an improvement but it just doesn't look or feel the same.

Starbug grew and got better in design between III and VI, the VII set looked superb but they had turned it into a tardis by this point.

This new set looks a bit too cheap and claustrophobic. I know it's a different model etc etc but if they could expand it and make it a bit more familiar it would be most welcome. :-)

7. Jape of The Decade

Jape of The Decade First Technician

It was used more in the original cut for Back in the Red before they refilmed parts and chopped it into three episodes. I've always preferred the original filmed scenes and wished they'd kept them.

We've seen the series 1/2 sets revisited a couple of times but a return to the officers quarters could be fun.

I did like the sets in BTE. They looked good and I wish they had kept them.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  8. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Sorry to break it to you, but sadly It got destroyed in series 8!!!!