I'm concerned

Discussion in 'RED DWARF: THE PROMISED LAND' started by Aractus, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I certainly can understand having concerns, I agree that Back in the Red and Back to Earth show that Red Dwarf doesn’t have the best track record for this sort of thing, and Timewave reminded us all that series 8 Doug Naylor is still in there. However if nothing else, this at least looks better, and I like the idea of it addressing an over 30 old lose end....I guess my feelings so far are that of cautious optimism, I really want it to be good!

3. CaptainBollocks

CaptainBollocks Second Technician

Considering its a UK-based sitcom I'm not exactly surprised.

Asclepius likes this.
  4. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

Why not watch the special in its entirety when it is available to you and see what you think then? Admittedly I have not even viewed the trailer because I prefer to have very little spoilers but surely you cannot know that it is no good from a short trailer and that it will definitely flop.

If you don't like it after viewing it in its complete form then fair enough by all means - you never know I might not like it too (who knows?) - but you cannot pass a sweeping judgement like that after one trailer surely.

But like I said if you still are not keen then you are perfectly 100% entitled to your opinion but at least give it a fair chance.

Alexandra likes this.
  5. bilbobagenz

bilbobagenz Second Technician

It seems the Radio times arent impressed only 3/5 in their review.
    I am happy to wait and see for myself, plenty of these so called critics find it hard to say anything nice about most films I like so im still hopefull, note their review contains spoilers.
    Red Dwarf: The Promised Land review – Dave’s feature-length special is fun but far from purrfect

6. CaptainBollocks

I've said this before, but the actual review is hardly negative itself.

7. bilbobagenz

bilbobagenz Second Technician

As it has spoilers I chose not to read it, Nice to see the review isnt too bad, but I still beleive its best to judge this by your enjoyment watching it, in these crap times its good to have this to look forward to

8. Kenneth Williams Diary

Kenneth Williams Diary Second Technician

17th August 1961
    I made a gag with Shelia Hancock [@bilbobagenz] and she said 'O shut up...' so I pissed off & didn't speak again during the evening.

9. Kenneth Williams Diary

Kenneth Williams Diary Second Technician

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  10. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

I see the moaning has begun....

11. CaptainBollocks

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

For me. this special looks like an extended Red Dwarf XII episode. i don't feel like, at least these days, that Doug can write anything thats not series 8 mixed with the first 6 series. so its clear Doug is at his most comfortable with series 8 style jokes. and Series 8 also got good reviews too at the time. they put several of them at the back of the script book.

When it comes to the return to form statement. i think that very much depends on what it is people wanted from this show. for example i do not believe we would ever get an episode like Dimension Jump today. and if we did, it wouldn't be told the same way. there would be multiple ideas going on in the episode and alot of the story would be squished to get everything in there within a half-hour.

You can also really tell from these new shows that Doug started out as a sketch writer. because there are alot of scenes written that feel like sketches that are just there to fill time. abit like the become a dog joke in series 8. again its probably a formula that Doug has found easy to do under the constraints of wanting to keep the show going and wanting to write it all by himself.

Which for me. just feels like a disservice for the show.

Alot of the reviews talk about clever ideas and yeah i'l agree Doug does come up with some clever ideas... there is just a lack of a filter to get rid of the messy bits. its more throwing loads in, rather than concentrating to make the best one work.

The show is just lesser then it was in so many ways IMO. and thats really took its toll on my excitement towards new Red Dwarf.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  13. Asclepius

Well, most of the critics know about Red Dwarf just it was legendary in the 90's, there's a character called Kryton and there was a polimorph. It really makes difference if they judge it as a new show or as part of something lasting for decades.

14. Asclepius

You don't see into Doug's head, so you can't really judge his ability to write in an absolutely new format.

It's true that most of the new shows are filled with multiple ideas, which is not bad per se. There are some great classic episodes which don't focus on one storyline and also work with more ideas - Justice, White Hole, Polymorph II. They all work, because they managed to tell the complicated storyline within the 30 minutes limit. In the new episodes it feels like there's too much ideas, so it either loses the sense of one central storyline (Krysis) or the time limit is simply too short to tell such story. Officer Rimmer and M-Corp are both great episodes, but it feels like there should be another 10 minutes to end them properly.

I hope the special's runtime will provide some space and hopefully the show will profit from it.

CaptainBollocks likes this.
  15. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Stop whinging

16. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

Not long to go now ! I have lager in the fridge and will get a curry on the go ready for 'Dwarf Night'. Ohh, hold on, lager and Curry that's most nights, I need new recipes.

Alexandra likes this.
  17. Rodthepod

Rodthepod First Technician

Captured and living in the belly of a whale.
    Going to have a curry tonight too. But I doubt I will be able to watch the show.
    Gotta find a streaming service that will have it.

18. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

hope you find it, in the UK it is on Dave which is on Freeview and FreeSat , only draw back about watching it live is the adverts but 'Hey Ho Pip and Dandy'.

19. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Talking about the adverts, this special lasts 90 minutes and is in a two hour slot. That's a bloody lot of advertisements that we're going to have to sit through.

20. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

Having a curry now

Curryman likes this.