Kryten - David Ross

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sundayforsammy, Aug 7, 2011.

1. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

David Ross as Kryten ?
    First I would like to say that I respect and like David Ross, in fact I love his performance in John Sullivans "Roger Roger" and many other programs. He had some great lines in Red Dwarf but his version of Kryten to me, was not great. If David had been available for the next series I very much doubt that Kryten would have made it to another series. His portrail of Kryten would of become very tired quickly and Roberts Kryten I think saved the character.

What are everyone elses opinion on this !

2. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Honestly, I think David Ross was the perfect Kryten for the episode he was in. I doubt he'd have worked in the role longterm, as the more capable Kryten confidently spouting facts and theories.

3. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

This may sound strange, but I believe Robert Llewellyn's head and facial features are much better shaped for Kryten. Or perhaps the costume improvements should be credited instead.

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I know what you mean. He has quite a naturally expressive rubbery face. (I can say that, as mine is too.)

5. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

His expressions do show through mask very effectively, whish is essential for Kryten as a long term charater.

6. Nicko1

Nicko1 First Technician

I certainly think that David Ross could have adapted his performance to suit the makers' wishes. In Kryten he played the role to suit that one appearance but if he had been available for series 3 then I'm sure that there would have been discussions about which direction to take the character. It's apparent that when Robert Llewellyn got the part that nobody knew exactly where they ought to go and so you had the terrible accents used in the deleted scenes from the Bodysnatcher DVD and the 'Blue Midget is loaded' line from Marooned.

I would say that the character could have been equally successful whichever actor had played him.

7. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

yeah i really just think the novelty of it being a different actor in a different costume is what is so jarring when comparing the two. David Ross is great and I know he would have done a splendid job with Kryten, just as Robert did.

8. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I think you might be right.

I might be biassed as Robert Llewellyn was my first Kryten. I watched episode one of series 1 when it was first broadcast but never saw another Red Dwarf episode until Marooned. (Not that that particular episode was a particularly good Kryten vehicle, what with Robert still learning the ropes, but I remember wondering what the new angular headed chap was supposed to be.) Even then, while I enjoyed Marooned, I didn't really watch red Dwarf religiously, but the next episodes I saw would have had Robert's Kryten.

It wasn't until a good while later that I went back and watched the rest of the first two series. While I didn't like Ross's version of Kryten as much as Llewellyn's the ladies around the table stuff really tickled my sense of humour.

9. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

The levity that is brought to that scene is pure genius. It's those risks that RD took that make the show so great.