Last RD ep. you watched recently

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sanja, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

Trying to rattle through a rewatch before the special, up to Parallel Universe.

Every time I watch I’m more disgusted by Arlene Rimmer, she’s nothing like our Arnie, she comes across as a mentally ill sex offender.

UltraDevotee and Asclepius like this.
  2. CaptainBollocks

CaptainBollocks Second Technician

I think she has an odd charm to her, I like her line delivery on, "I hope you get pregnant you cheap little tart."

Besides that, Parallel Universe is has an aura of cheapness to it compared to the rest of Series II and feels more in keeping with Series VIII, probably the weakest episode of the original six series if you ask me.

3. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

Well, you have a lot to do in self-isolation. 61 episodes for 19 days.

I'm doing the same rewatch, now starting series VII. Suprisingly, I hate Tikka to Ride less than ever before.

Pembers likes this.
  4. CaptainBollocks

CaptainBollocks Second Technician

I might give the odd episode a rewatch here and there before the special, I can't do another whole-series rewatch, it'd be my third in two years (one for myself, one with the dad, and one with the gf), and I'd just get tired by Series VII and want to quit haha.

UltraDevotee and Pembers like this.
  5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

There will be no rewatch for me either. I can understand that some people might like to see every episode again beforehand so they get to watch this new special in its proper historic context, but I wouldn't want to go through all twelve seasons again right now. Maybe I will do so sometime in the future when I know I'll have a lot of spare time on my hands. I have gone through every episode a couple of times in the past and found it to be a rewarding experience - though I did vow that should I watch all the way through again that I'd likely give season VIII a miss. I found episodes such as Krytie TV and Pete too depressing so soon after watching the brilliance of episodes like Back To Reality and Gunmen of the Apocalypse.

UltraDevotee and Pembers like this.
  6. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

Dear Dave is definitely the least good episode of the 2012 run for me but I still think it just about makes the 7 out of 10 mark. While parts of a couple of the sub-plots are a bit naff it has some of the funniest comedy in the whole of the series for me, especially the finger wetting gag for example and opening the letters. While it is not great overall, as a sort of bottle episode it kind of works for me.

The episodes that remind me of my self-isolation are obviously Quarantine but also particularly the Lister scenes in M-Corp. When at the penultimate stage of my Dwarfathon last year, M-Corp really grew on me and became an 8.75 or 9 out of 10 - a real heavy science early 90s-type Red Dwarf show. In quarantine now I keep thinking of Lister making the beans on toast - I think it was that food - totally on his own. I think most fans - even if they are not keen on series 12 overall - feel M-Corp is a quality Red Dwarf episode.

7. UltraDevotee

I said a couple of pages back in this thread that I would start a new Dwarfathon sometime next year and actually last week I attempted to start one, especially due to the self-isolation. But I have to confess I gave up after the first 3 episodes of series 1 - it just felt like too soon after doing my most recent Dwarfathon only in January last year but the clincher was with Friday's news of the new imminent broadcast. I tend to watch two episodes of RD a day when on a Dwarfathon - one in the afternoon and one in the evening - so unless I watched a whole series a day really, I would have no chance of finishing it now in time for Thursday 9th.

TBH, my dad was playing some RD clips from series 4 and 6 which I really enjoyed a couple of days ago but I just feel like it is too soon to do a 100% re-watch and like I said the clincher was the fact that it could not be completed in time anyway. Also I did a mini-Dwarfathon of series 3 and 5 last summer when the fixed discs were provided which I thoroughly enjoyed but this next Spring felt a bit too soon.

I will remember how much I enjoyed those short series 4/6 clips and will greatly anticipate 9 pm on Thursday 9th April in the meantime. At the moment I am watching Doctor Who series 4 - Russell T Davies' final full series - and am in particular most anticipating the Library episodes and Midnight.

Red Dwarf is just slightly ahead of Doctor Who as my favourite TV programme ever and I will look forward to a new Blu-ray release soon (unless it is delayed due to the coronavirus understandably) and embark on a full Dwarf marathon watch next year still!

8. UltraDevotee

Well after all I did watch the first 3 episodes of the original RD run so to stay on topic of this thread here they are listed as last episode(s) watched recently.

The End - an ingeniously titled first episode with hilarious humour and a decent plot that sets up the whole franchise.

Future Echoes - the one that strongly showed the way for RD's future and was the 1988 run's highpoint IMHO.

Balance of Power - the quintessential episode that displays series 1's all on ship and bunkroom scenes charm with plenty of Lister-Rimmer sparring. Highly comical.

While in series 1 the plots were just getting going, the comedy is simply first rate!

In terms of the upscales' quality on the Blu-ray box set, well my opinion has not changed. Series 1 - obviously as it was the oldest one - is the least decent and while The End is a bit ropey in places, Future Echoes and Balance of Power though not perfect are reasonable new versions IMHO.

Anyway, I will look forward greatly to the full Dwarfathon next year but I hope the new material will be excellent and keep me occupied in 2020.

9. UltraDevotee

My Dwarfathon is back on...I just thought this is a really nasty and dangerous time so why not continue with Waiting For God, the perfect one to continue with (after all obviously I stopped at Balance of Power a few weeks ago) after last Thursday.

I’ve got to say I enjoyed it very much and really re-watching series 1-8 in its now upscaled form is like a bit of a new experience anyway. I think the problem a few weeks ago was I realised there was no way I would get to Skipper before 9th April so that was the main reason I discontinued. Now as there is no release of the new material on Blu-ray until June 1, I think its fair to say I will be finished by then and it will keep me going through this time of quarantine.

As for Waiting For God...well it’s a very good (8 out of 10) episode to me though I know some aren’t keen. I just love the religious story with its satire and the twist at the end with Rimmer realising it is a garbage pod was classic too. The upscale was pretty good for one from the oldest film where the quality is obviously not going to be too decent anyway.

Anyway this was a nice personal surprise of mine to continue with my Dwarfathon on Easter Day, so later I will eat my Easter Egg and move on to Confidence and Paranoia.

10. UltraDevotee

Confidence and Paranoia and Me2.

Although tactile hallucinations from an evolved infection is not really sci-fi - it’s more fantasy to me - it is still a very good early episode.

A blazing, foul mouthed, immature argument with oneself, Lister’s hilarious slobbiness and the iconic Gazpacho Soup gag mean the latter is yet another very good early show. Although the plots are just “getting cooking” in the original series, the greater time for banter on board ship is welcome too while the comedy throughout the entire run was definitely first rate.

Both I think - obviously IMHO - are reasonably decent upscales (I personally think some people were expecting far too much from the Blu-ray box set and I wouldn’t wanted it looking too good and losing its 80s/90s charm anyway). But series 2 looks even better I remember in its HD version and you know what...it’s the beginning of Red Dwarf’s golden age IMHO, where to quote Danny it started to get “really good.”

11. UltraDevotee

Kryten last night and Better Than Life this afternoon.

In the former I know David Ross is not the iconic Kryten but I personally think he does a very decent job of it and performs well ("I was only away 2 minutes" and rebelling against Rimmer are his highlights). Rob and Doug's writing really goes up another level at the start of RD's golden reign and Lister wearing all his "least smeggy" things is absolutely hilarious. Well it is all fantastically comical in its entirety anyway. 10 out of 10.

In the latter, like in my Dwarfathon that began in January last year, this has again remained one of my favourite episodes to re-experience again. Dunno why - suppose like the Promised Land with Rimmer discovering that his dad had died it has some drama too to add to the relentless comedy throughout the rest of the episode. Also it was the first time they had used VR computer games so that is also a reason why it remains an absolute star RD and despite the cheapness it has a charm and gives an effective impression of a virtual sci-fi world. 10/10.

BTW, surely anyone who was disappointed by the quality of last years series 1-8 box set in certain episodes would have to admit that series 2 - Kryten especially - now looks vivid, pretty sharp and amazing upscaled. Series 1 has improved the image somewhat but in series 2 there is quite a large enhancement presumably as they had a superior tape source.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    Pembers likes this.
  12. Ted Danson

Ted Danson Catering Officer

Ant E likes this.
  13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

That's my least favourite episode of all time (yes I hate it even more than anything in season VIII) and I thought David Ross was terrible as Kryten. He's just doing some bad C3PO impression.

14. UltraDevotee

I understand if not many people reply as after all this is my 2nd Dwarfathon within a year and a half and probably my thoughts will be much the same as last January to March (and my mini series 3/5 Dwarfathon last summer when the fixed Blu-ray discs were sent out). So fair enough and I understand if people are not too interested in the same ideas again...but I just felt like to take up the time during my self-isolation I might give some thoughts on some episodes again.

15. UltraDevotee

If you think the series 2 opener is even worse than Pete Part 1 and Pete Part 2 then you must really find it detestable. Still although I love it, your opinion is obviously fair enough and interesting to hear so thank you.

16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I've just never taken to the episode at all and I'm exactly sure why. But David Ross as Kryten is certainly a big part of it. I do wonder how I would feel about the episode if it was Robert Llewellyn. Another thing is the studio audience - they're all annoyingly hyper for some reason and keep applauding at every other joke, which is something I find grating when watching the episode.

17. UltraDevotee

Thanks for the Memory last night and Stasis Leak this afternoon.

Thanks for the Memory is another back in the mid-90s when I first watched on VHS that I thought wasn't as brilliant as the other series 2 episodes. Well thankfully in my adulthood my opinion has changed and I now can see why it is rated so highly as even one of the finest ever Red Dwarfs. Like Future Echoes - but to me it is advanced more - it is one of the first times that Red Dwarf has got really clever. Although it is not truly timey-wimey as such it kind of reminds me of Steven Moffat but with no convolution and more streamlined. The character based humour is fantastic and it really conveys what it must be like to stuck in deep space, far into the future with the human race extinct and that kind of conversation cropping up. It's simply watertight and ingenious and I love everything about it including the jigsaw being completed and then changing into the end credits. Another super 10 out of 10 again.

Stasis Leak is truly timey-wimey as it is the first episode of RD in which the Dwarfers had access to time travel. It's another of the first occasions that Red Dwarf became truly sophisticated as I really appreciate how there is a connection with the Dwarfers' discovering the stasis leak from Lister reading Rimmer's hilariously cringeworthy diary. It's simply clever and I love it being an episode with the old crew reappearing like Mark Williams (sadly for the last time), Mac McDonald and Clare Grogan and it truly working. But it is not just the start of Red Dwarf using stronger sci-fi there is so much humour throughout like Rimmer's "breakdown," the humorous Xpress Lift scene and Lister's "wine" lament. There is so much brilliant comedy that I cannot list it all obviously and this is yet another slab of vintage RD. Although I do think series 1 is very good (and the humour is top notch), Rob and Doug truly shine in this superior second series as there is so much more going on and the plots have greater depth. Another 10/10.

In terms of the conversion to Blu-ray well the former has one scene with a few glitchy, tiny white marks on from the tape but is otherwise a very good improvement from the DVD while Stasis Leak is the least decent upscale of the late 88 run so far but is still rather good.

18. UltraDevotee

Just another thing to add to what I was trying to say about series 2 is I have noticed both Better Than Life and Stasis Leak have fairly abrupt endings. So that displays how even during the show’s heyday and not just in the series 11/12 era, there were sudden conclusions also. I suppose what you would say though is those final bits although fast, were a bit more effective then the 2016-17 Dave era because they were more resounding and closed the episodes better. But I would say that just shows that even in the half hour format even some of the classic Dwarfs’ finishes can take you by surprise albeit a bit more effectively.

Pembers likes this.
  19. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

That’s a good point, with both of those episodes, Stasis Leak in particular, the story isn’t even resolved, it’s like Act 3 starts, Rimmer shouts GO AWAYYYYYYY! And the credits roll.

20. UltraDevotee

Queeg last night.

All of the the series 2 episodes are phenomenal but IMHO Queeg has to be the pinnacle of Rob and Doug’s first truly fantastic series. Charles Augins is great and it is wonderful for there to be a Holly-centric episode for the first time. Like all the other Rob Grant co-writes the script is watertight and the story of the brutal “back up” computer interesting and entertaining at every turn. There are some great gags too like Petersen’s “shoes” during one of the bunkroom scenes for example. Another thing I must say is I like how although the episodes in series 1 to 5 are mostly standalone - apart from Future Echoes showing Lister will end up with 2 babies - that the chess battle at the climax links back to Holly playing rather badly too at it in Better Than Life. Another 10/10 for yet another example of vintage Dwarf and probably in the top 20 best ever episodes IMHO.

And yes the transfer to Blu-ray for this penultimate episode of series 2 is very good yet again and probably 2nd best after Kryten so far, I thought I might add.