Last RD ep. you watched recently

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sanja, Aug 10, 2010.

1. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

Yes, I do wonder although like I said the sudden endings round off the story a bit better in the show’s peak years that maybe there is still a slight double standard with some people possibly being a bit too critical of similar swift finishes in the series 11/12-era. Have to see what I think though when I reach series 11/12...

2. Ted Danson

Ted Danson Catering Officer

It's fine babe I love you

3. UltraDevotee

Parallel Universe last night.

I know this is a bit unpopular on this forum but this is yet another of my top picks of the series 2 material. Firstly though, if this had been done in series 8 it would probably have just had the sexism towards women in it and I like how with Rob Grant co-writing, this attitude is turned back on the male crew, particularly Rimmer. But I would agree that the scenes with Arlene Rimmer groping the male Rimmer are uncomfortable to watch. Our Rimmer is sexist/chauvinistic in the opening scene in the bunkroom, but it is not implied that he is a bit perverted too as his female equivalent behaves towards him. So it is like that scene with Arlene - I would agree with Pembers - simply goes too far and would obviously not be allowed in this day and age, although apart from that I do think the actress who plays Arlene performs well otherwise. Still, I am really glad there are no cut lines in this Blu-ray boxset of the BBC series as clearly it would have destroyed the history of Red Dwarf and the flow of the story so you just have to accept some of the humour is very much of its time.

But still, despite this I still adore this episode - I suppose I do half love series 8 too so maybe that's why - because it is one of those times that Red Dwarf has a feel good, literally partying finale except for the slightly sinister but hilarious cliffhanger of course. The entire episode is really funny - apart from the bits which go too far - but that scene with Rimmer gloating by saying "Oh Listy" has to be one of the most famous ones in RD history IMHO of course, and then the baby Skutters bit is equally superb. This episode spectacularly marks the end of the first era of RD and the rounding off of the story in Future Echoes where Lister has two babies is sublime. Really because of the bits with dated humour it should get a 9 but because it is one of my favourites still - for the other great parts - of the late 88 run it will still get a 10/10 as I see it as top vintage Dwarf.

The upscale was largely very fine once again and the series 2 Blu-ray as a whole is definitely worth the money.

4. Alexandra

Alexandra First Technician

What's with that? Who can think Paralel universe is sexist? I like it. What's with Series 8? Kryte TV literaly claims being women is a bad thing. Paralel universe is not sexist.

5. UltraDevotee

Backwards this afternoon.

Well definitely Rob and Doug were right to abort the script for an episode called Dad as it would have been offensive towards females and just have the Star Wars-like text to link series 3 back to series 2 instead. But anyway, I still feel Backwards is one of the top Dwarfs ever - maybe not in the top 5 but one of the best. The effect may be dated now but I still find it as comical and entertaining seeing all the backwards action as when I first ever watched it back in 1994 on VHS. It is still effective and successful IMHO. This new era begins with maybe a bit more of a budget presumably to ensure that the production values, clothing and look of the show are significantly superior to before and modernised. It is noticeable that the show is now faster paced with more action than before but despite this it is still very much as watertight as a comedy with loads of great jokes. The "bar room tidy" pay off is simple and genius all at once and brilliantly filmed, produced and directed. It's just a great episode and as I still find the now old hat effect as brilliant as when I first watched it I think it is one of the best Red Dwarf shows still. 10/10.

In terms of the upscale quality, I have the fixed disc and one thing I must say is the colour grade is a bit off - lighter coloured scenes look great still but those with darker colours look a bit too dark. But saying that I am still delighted with the BBC fixing the series 3 disc as overall it is a significant improvement still on the DVD version, as the image is pretty sharper and more defined but rightly not "too good." Anyway, it is a sunny day here in the north west and even with the curtains closed, it was still fairly bright in the room I watched it in so it will have looked a bit darker still and less colourful anyway. So hopefully when I re-watch Marooned later in the dark of the evening the slightly iffy colour grade will not matter so much but like I said I still feel the BBC have overall done well with the Backwards Blu-ray version on the fixed discs as there are some genuine improvements to the image.

Alexandra likes this.
  6. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

err, how? Considering it was never written how can you determine whether it was or was not offensive?

7. UltraDevotee

Sorry, perhaps that was a bit presumptuous of me. But on Wikipedia it states that Rob and Doug aborted the Dad script halfway through and one of the reasons was that it was possibly sexist.

They were right IMHO to create Backwards instead for sure.

8. UltraDevotee

Marooned last night.

All of the 1989 run’s episodes are extremely funny and this is possibly the finest in terms of the character based comedy. It’s sort of like a bottle episode with it mainly being Lister and Rimmer talking and so therefore is the one that most harks back to the first 2 series. But for me it is even better than series 1 because with the plot of them being in danger in Starbug on a snowy, frozen planet it is on another level as despite it being a bit like a bottle episode the production values are still superior to before. Even though it was made in the last year of the 1980s I still feel Lister struggling in the wind and snow still looks rather good. There’s a relentless flow of supreme jokes which concentrate on arguably the 2 most important Dwarfers (though The Cat and Kryten are equally amazing too) and years ago when I went past that golf course in Bootle (down the road from me, as Formby is north of Liverpool) I obviously couldn’t help but laugh. It’s simply a brilliant Red Dwarf show and I can see why - and I feel it is too - to a lot of fans why it is one of their favourites. Rating - 10/10.

Although the colour grade is a bit iffy again with the darker colours, the overall image has surely improved and once again thank you to the BBC for fixing the previously faulty discs last year.

9. UltraDevotee

Polymorph this afternoon.

I know a few on this forum are not fond of this episode but I still feel it is a Red Dwarf absolute, all time classic! Like Marooned the character based humour is yet again sensational and it is interesting to find out more about Rimmer’s family and upbringing. The polymorph is a great debut of the first ever non-human antagonist in Red Dwarf history - though man made of course - and all it’s shapeshifting is a marvellous watch and brilliantly directed/produced. It’s just mindblowingly comical and has a lot of the most popular Red Dwarf gags/dialogue ever (some a bit rude I know) so I wonder whether it is the fact it ends quite suddenly is the reason why a few are not keen on it here. It is a slightly abrupt ending - especially as the twist is there is another polymorph at large which we do not see more of - but I personally think the pay off works. Although it is a bit convenient that they open the door and the heatseekers lock on to the polymorph, it is clever too as obviously it links up to the Cat putting them in there earlier in the episode and the Polymorph was the biggest and hottest thing. I personally thought it rounded off the story well enough and I would agree with most that this episode is in the top 5 Red Dwarfs ever. Though obviously for those who think it is overrated fair enough if you feel there are better RD shows. But anyway these first 3 episodes of series 3 are a magic run of some of the very greatest to me and the rating is clearly 10/10.

In terms of the Blu-ray version, well I think it might be the best of the series 3 disc so far. Although it is slightly too dark in the cargo bay scenes there is some really good detail and the image is noticeably more defined so IMHO a fair improvement for one of the best Red Dwarfs.

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

How can you rate so many episodes 10 out of 10? I mean, I'm a massive Red Dwarf fan but there are only five episodes that I would give full marks.

11. UltraDevotee

I guess I honestly enjoy series 2-6 episodes that much I would give them a 10 each. That’s all I can say really as Red Dwarf is my favourite TV programme ever and Rob and Doug together are like the Lennon and McCartney of screen writing. When Red Dwarf was at its peak between late 1988 and 1993 I honestly think all the shows were mindblowing and impressed me so much, apart from Terrorform which is “only” a 9.

Pembers and Bluey like this.
  12. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

It's hard for me to rand Red Dwarf episode on any scale, at least the original ones. Most of them are great, some of them not so, but I wouldn't be able to express it on any scale

What are your top 5, @Bluey?

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I find it easy to give a rating out of ten, but an episode has to be really special to me to get full marks. My top five are:

1. Back to Reality - An obvious choice maybe but it's always been the episode that I love the most.

2. Out of Time - This one is underrated by most fans I feel. It's a wonderful episode full of mystery, excitement and intrigue that never telegraphs where it's going.

3. Gunmen of the Apocalypse - Putting the Dwarfers in a Wild West setting turned out to be fantastically successful.

4. Marooned - If only the Rimmer/Lister conversations of the Dave era were this good.

5. Duct Soup - A surprising choice for number 5 maybe, but there's something about the premise here that I love.

14. UltraDevotee

Bodyswap last night.

I have always loved this episode and the tense but at the same time skilfully equally hilarious beginning sets up the story of the bodyswapping sublimely. When the ship doesn't explode after Holly's persisting senility prevents her from informing the crew that there is no bomb anyway is Rob and Doug in peak form and there are just so many other funny bits like "keep this safe, it is Lister's mind" and Officer Brown's appearance in Lister's body to name a couple. I don't know whether the bodyswap concept is original but it is certainly a quality sci-fi idea for Red Dwarf and provides all sorts of humour from Rimmer's treatment of Lister's body with my favourite bit being when he pushes his head into the mash. The Blue Midget and Starbug chase after which Lister's body is injured is an excellent climax and fine resolution IMHO - with fantastic model work - while the twist at the end that the Cat's body is then stolen is satisfying too. 10/10.

In terms of the Blu-ray transfer, well IMHO this is the best of the 3rd series so far and the model shots appear especially impressive. I guess quite a lot of it is set in the brighter areas of Red Dwarf so as there are more lighter coloured scenes then that is why the slightly problematic colour grade does not cause any real problems and now series 3 looks quite a lot better on modern TVs.

15. Asclepius

Wouldn't ever guess number five. I quite like Duct Soup, but it certainly isn't one of my favourites.

16. UltraDevotee

Timeslides this afternoon.

This episode is Red Dwarf's 2nd time travel one and the first in which they have a kind of time machine and so elaborates a bit on Stasis Leak. Although Rob and Doug's concept of them using photos that have been developed using mutated fluid to enter the past is not as sophisticated as series 6/7's time drive, this fits in perfectly anyway with the best Red Dwarf as after all the show is a comedy famed for its successful silliness at times amongst other more serious sci-fi. Ruby Wax is a welcome and amusing guest star in her scene too IMHO while does anyone else notice Lister wearing a Fred Flintstone T-shirt - to link back to the gag that opens the 1989 run's first episode - when he is at his mansion and Rimmer appears in the dining room? The whole episode is packed with continual hilarious comedy and one liners and the pay off in which Thickie Holden is reestablished as the tension sheet inventor shows something can be simple and yet really clever all at once and crucially comical. There's also even a bit of pathos when Rimmer laments that his effort to change his teenage self into the inventor of the ridiculous tension sheet has failed, while the explosion that destroys his human form although a little convenient is an effective end to restore the status quo from the beginning of the episode. It's another 10/10 Red Dwarf classic IMHO.

In terms of the upscale it looks slightly too dark in a few parts (though admittedly I was watching it in the brightness of a sunny day) and it is a bit annoying that Rimmer's iconic green uniform does not really look correctly coloured at times, but overall the whole episode is a fine improvement on the DVD again.

17. Asclepius

Yes, but just recently. I have seen the episode many times and didn't notice it.

18. UltraDevotee

I'm glad you only just noticed it recently too. So it does show the Blu-ray upscale is worth it (though maybe it was probably always discernible on the DVD anyway underneath his blazer) and it's just a great attention to detail from Rob and Doug, joining the standalone episodes from series 3 together a bit.

19. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Well it surprises me too. I actually disliked season VII when I first saw it. I mean, I really hated it. But over the years I've come to recognise that it was actually really good. It's still not all that funny, but it has its own pleasing feel about it. And like I said, something about Duct Soup just appeals to me.

20. Asclepius

Maybe it was more of Howard Burden's idea. I'm also wondering from which series has Vilma Flintstone been on Lister's jacket.