Last RD ep. you watched recently

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sanja, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I did rewatch Gunmen of the Apocalypse relatively recently. I still love it - it's one of my 10 out of 10 episodes. But goodness me, I don't know if it's because I've been watching so many modern TV shows these last few years, but it does come across as strangely paced when I watch it now. It's really awkwardly slow and jerky in parts. Almost embarrassingly so. I suppose it shows just how much TV-making has changed over the last few decades.

2. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

Emohawk Polymorph II

I know this episode is unpopular with a few RD fans but I personally think it demonstrates that Rob and Doug are still very much at the peak of their writing capabilities. With the inclusion of GELFs (one of the all time greatest sub-plots IMHO of the "marriage"), a "domesticated" Polymorph, Ace and Duane Dibbley there is so much happening in this episode and it is absolutely watertight without any dialogue or a scene wasted. IMHO, it is not merely "fan service" as now that Red Dwarf was into its sixth run, Rob and Doug were entitled to hark back to some old favourites as long as it was strongly written. With the Emohawk, some fans claimed that this series overall was "monster of the week" and while it is true again I will say it does not matter because this is still extremely much classic Dwarf. The pay off with them freezing the Emohawk is highly successful because it is elaborated on by Rimmer - in the form of Ace - previously preventing it from exploding by using his hard light form to neutralise it when it morphs into a grenade and the hostage situation response from the Dwarfers is very humorous too. Admittedly, this is one of the episodes in the first 6 series which has an abrupt ending (like some of the Dave-era ones but for some reason with less attention drawn to) but for me it works because so much is packed into the episode that you couldn't expect any more really and it harks back to the original polymorph in that that had a similar uncertain finish and crucially the "what a Dibbley" bit is very amusing too. I personally think this episode is definitely amongst the finest Red Dwarf still, an excellent sequel and continues the series 6 winning streak - I love the 1993 run so much that I wish with Rob still on board they could have made it the first with 8 episodes! 10/10.

The upscale is not one of the best but still a fair improvement. Though I did watch on my larger 42 inch TV and wonder whether it would again - like most of the rest of 6 - look better on my smaller 32 inch screen. But with my eyes responding to antibiotic drop treatment finally, it still looked reasonably good large and the scenes in Starbug looked the most visually impressive.

3. UltraDevotee

Last time with hindsight that it was not the last ever episode of RD I was not as harsh on that ending and Only the Good... in general, but I will just have to see when I reach series 8 in the coming weeks.

4. UltraDevotee

It's absolute RD gold to me and deserved its Emmy award so I am glad you have rated it full marks too. I remember after when I first viewed it back in late 1994 when it was repeated on BBC2 I realised I had seen an absolutely monumental episode.

5. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

I quite like it, not because of the joke being very good, but it's one of few working jokes in this otherwise terrible episode. It's alright with Rimmer's character and I also liked the fact that Death was played by Ed Bye.
    However, when I watched it for the first time, I knew it's not the last episode. If I had to live for ten years with this being the show's end, I would probably go and kick Doug in the balls.

UltraDevotee likes this.
  6. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

It's a really special episode. Always when watching it, I'm thinking that there is probably no other sitcom that can come up with clever and complex sci-fi story, funny lines, Biblical metaphores and place it all in a western.

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Despite my above comments about the episode's problems when viewed with modern eyes, I really do love Gunmen of the Apocalypse. Along with the equally fantastic Out of Time, it's one of my go-to episodes when I'm in the mood for watching a random episode of Dwarf.

Also, the DVD documentary about Gunmen, Return To Laredo, is a wonderful complement to the episode.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  8. Rodthepod

Rodthepod First Technician

Captured and living in the belly of a whale.
    I like how it tied into Future Echos, where Lister is off to the drive room to confront his destiny (exploding) and he picks up a pipe and Rimmer says "You can't whack DEATH on the head." But apparently you can knee him in the happy sack.

Pembers likes this.
  9. Smegzoid

Smegzoid Third Technician

That's true...it's all subjective.

I really like Duct Soup as well. It's got a great claustrophobic feel to it. It's the variety of all the different series and episode styles that make Red Dwarf what it is. That's why it's lasted so long.

And just a little aside- wasn't it Ed Bye who played Death :-)

UltraDevotee likes this.
  10. UltraDevotee

Rimmerworld, last night.

This is yet another fantastic RD episode from 1993 and like all of them from that year - apart from maybe the first 2 which were brilliant also anyway - again there is so much packed into the episode and there are lots of twists and turns in the direction that the story is going in. Perhaps the reason why series 6 is my favourite is the fact that there is a story arc for the first time and although the general lack of continuity in RD is entertaining too in a way, it makes for a more unified and cohesive set of episodes this time. Obviously it is namely the ongoing plot of the search for Red Dwarf but I also like connections like mentioning how they have seen the simulant ship again for the first time in 2 weeks, which is the same as the time between these two episodes that feature it. Once again the concepts of wormholes, terraforming and cloning are really sophisticated while the comedy remains immense and favourite bits include the worry balls, multiple "we're finished" statements from Rimmer and Rob/Doug subverting conventional sci-fi yet again when Liz Hickling's menacing simulant is called "a bit of a babe." I also love Howard Goodall's attempt at a Brian Eno-esque sound when they are searching the simulant cruiser - it provides series 6 with an even greater feeling of atmosphere. After escaping the simulant ship the story transforms for the 2nd half into one about the planet of Rimmers and the escape from it has to be one of the greatest resolutions in RD history IMHO. The simplicity of it as compared to Lister's complicated plan is what makes it so side-splittingly comical but it is highly clever too and surprises the viewer because there are just so many ideas in the episode that you forget about the teleporter. The very end of the episode in which Lister is not present in the near future is just simply sublime time travel writing by Rob and Doug and is an exceptional climax as it establishes one of the main plot points in the following show, furthermore unifying series 6. Rimmerworld - with its nightmarish concept of an entire race of this odious hologram - has to be one of the best Red Dwarf episodes yet again and continues the "scoring run" of 1993. 10/10.

In terms of the upscale, I think apart from a few scenes in Starbug which look slightly too dark (the one with the "less choice than a Welsh Fish and Chip shop" joke (I always repeat that line for some reason in my own real life when faced with little options)), this is overall a good and solid improvement on the DVD version. The best parts IMHO are the opening scene with Rimmer's medical test which looks really sharp and the Rimmerworld scenes which look more colourful and have better image quality too.

11. UltraDevotee

Out of Time, earlier this afternoon

There had been time travel in RD previously like with the stasis leak, the timeslides, the inquisitor's gauntlet and the previous episode's teleporter but this is the first time the Dwarfers actually have a device that is explicitly capable of it. Once again there is so much packed into the episode and the storyline continually twists but it is not crammed and convoluted - there is plenty of time for dialogue to breath and for the comedy to shine. The morale meeting has to be one of the all time great scenes and that is just the start, while the reality bubbles are not only hilarious - the chocolate fingers display is genius - but really inventive, heavy sci-fi at the same time. The Time Drive only being able to travel in the same position in space is really funny but then the plot turns further and they encounter their future selves and finally we learn Lister's seemingly imminent fate. The scene before we see his brain in a jar (in which Kryten is is behaving oddly and his whining on this occasion is effective) is how the weaker parts of series 7 should have been done IMHO - in a movingly dramatic style but with enough comic value too.

When they witness how they all become complete and utter smegheads 15 years later, you realise this time the "monster of the week" is themselves which is skilful writing too. I know I am obviously going to remark that as RD is my favourite programme of all time that the cliffhanger is the finest in the whole of television ever, but really it is. The "Better Dead than Smeg" battle scene is simply pure thrilling, action/drama and inherently intelligent in Rimmer's attempt to destroy the time drive but he is indeed "out of time" and the destruction of Starbug - Peter Wragg's modelwork is sensational throughout this ep. and the entire run - brought the curtain down on RD for quite a lengthy 3 years plus. But like I said it was the best shocker finale in the history of TV, superior to the more positive original conclusion (the slightly cheesy urine recyc wine moustaches moment) this time and - although he is unsuccessful - paved the way for Rimmer's heroics at the end of series 8 (implied) and 10.

Like The Inquisitor this is one of the most witty episodes of RD ever but it is crucially - like Polymorph, Gunmen of the Apocalypse, Quarantine and Back to Reality - full of indomitable banter and although it sadly marked the end of the Rob Grant co-written era, it was an absolutely spectacular way for him to depart. If Polymorph, Dimension Jump, Quarantine, Back to Reality and Gunmen of the Apocalypse are the giant five then this is the plus one and sixth greatest Red Dwarf ep. of all time IMHO. 10/10.

In terms of the Blu-ray version well I think along with Gunmen of the Apocalpyse that this is one of the best upscales of the 1993 episodes. Even on my larger 42 inch TV it looked more colourful and sharper mostly. Fitting for such a brilliant RD 30 mins.

12. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

I watched out of time earlier while working. I like when their heads go funny

UltraDevotee, Asclepius and Ant E like this.
  13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Out of Time I think is underrated by most fans, but it's is a fantastic episode. It's my second favourite of all time (after Back to Reality) and one my my go-to episodes when I'm in the mood for watching some Dwarf.

It's full of excitement, mystery and intrigue and the story never telegraphs where it's going. You could never predict what's going to happen next after watching that opening scene about Rimmer appointing himself the 'morale officer' - or after watching any of the subsequent scenes. That subplot about Lister being a robot could have been the basis of a whole episode.

That last scene is probably the most exciting and intense in Red Dwarf's history. Add to that the shock of three of the characters getting killed. I just wish they'd resolved it with the deleted scene with Kryten serving them the urine recyc margaritas. That was the perfect way to conclude the episode - and was much better than having to wait four years only for Lister to give some terrible explanation at the beginning of Tikka to Ride.

14. UltraDevotee

It's a masterpiece and although it is sad to reach the end of the Rob co-writes on this current Dwarfathon, what a way to go out. But I am looking forward to Tikka to Ride later too...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Ant E likes this.
  15. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Reported to Walrus watch

Nikki the Great and Asclepius like this.
  16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I wasn't aware that a "Walrus Watch" existed on the forum. Are you its only member?

17. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

No just Neil.

18. UltraDevotee

Tikka to Ride, last night

Apart from a shift to a more dramatic style, IMHO this continues on in much the same form that RD was in back in series 6. I personally liked the resolution to the series 6 cliffhanger - IMHO it was pretty clever - and at least there is one, unlike 2 years later. There are a few issues that the episode has though. Firstly, there are at least 2 inconsistencies in that the time drive suddenly can now - unlike the previous episode - move people to different places and secondly, the pay off in which Kennedy's future self assassinates his younger self contradicts the series 6 finale resolution, which was explained in the opening few minutes. However, I still think this is a brilliant RD episode because I interpret these logical differences in the same way I respond to those in Backwards - it's otherwise superb storytelling by Doug so it does not really matter as there has been a lack of continuity before anyway. The grassy knoll pay off is one of the finest ones in RD history also because it is one of the better examples of the new dramatic tone to RD, as there is a real sense of pathos when the older version of the President fades.

The only other things I would comment that are slightly negative are firstly without Rob Grant the humour is not as impeccably witty as it was in series 1-6, but it is still very funny and there are a number of great laughs throughout. Lastly, the final scene with the other Dwarfers beating up Lister is perhaps a bit too violent and daft.

But ultimately this is a scintillating, proper RD time travel story with a massively inventive plot about the mystery of President Kennedy's murder and memorable resolution to the "man behind the grassy knoll" theory. So as the new Doug-solo (accompanied by additional writers in 7 and one other in 8) era begins, Rob Grant is not massively missed initially as this is up there with the best RD and remains the 2nd best of the post-series 6 shows. 10/10.

In terms of the upscale, it is probably not one of the best as some scenes are slightly fuzzy in PQ but some others are an improvement though. So overall, a bit of enhancement but other episodes still appear better.

19. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I've given Tikka To Ride a bit of a hard time in the past, but I've come to realise that it's not too bad an episode. I still don't think it's a great episode, but it's not an awful one either. It's certainly one that has improved with repeated viewings. I think it could have done with a bit of tinkering here and there (getting rid of some of the weaker lines and moments for example) and would have befitted from a better ending than the ridiculous one we got with Lister getting beaten up. Had Rob Grant still been part of Dwarf it might well have turned out to be a really good episode.

I'm also rather fond of that extra scene that I believe was filmed a year or two later for the extended version of the episode. The one that ends with Lister alone in Starbug's rear section with tons of curry.

20. UltraDevotee

Stoke Me a Clipper, this afternoon.

Although clearly there was a greater emphasis on drama in this 1997 run, I actually feel this second episode might be the most comical of the lot. The opening Indiana Jones-like scene is a marvel to watch while Lister's using the AR console to have sex had been done before at the start of Gunmen of the Apocalypse but the medieval, jousting game is still one of the funniest of the series. Pleasingly Ace Rimmer returns for another episode and the story of his attempts to turn Red Dwarf's Rimmer into the superhero is one of the tightest plots of the 1997 run. It had always been implied before like in Holoship (Commander Crane saying that something nice was trying to get out) and Emohawk Polymorph 2 that our Rimmer had the potential to be Ace anyway. But despite IMHO that this is the most hilarious episode, there are still other dramatic moments that are melded more successfully with this humour than others from series 7 - the Lister-Rimmer talk in which they seem a bit more reconciled before he leaves and the final resting place of Ace's light bee are all highly affecting moments. The CGI may be a bit shoddy in the entire run but it is fairly impressive too in moments, as that latter scene with the rings of dead Ace Rimmers around a planet (like Saturn) looks grand. As a farewell to one of the two most significant characters in RD (but they are all fantastic) - albeit for only the rest of this series although it is a recreated Rimmer in 8 - this is a great, moving episode (Paul Alexander was definitely the best of the "other" writers) ranking up there with the finest Dwarf IMHO and the most resembling to a Rob Grant co-write in terms of the comedy of series 7. 10/10.

The Blu-ray version is again just an okay improvement really as a few moments look a bit fuzzy still but the opening and a few other scenes are better. TBH, I think series 7 is another one that shines more as an upscale on my smaller TV - and after all although it is a slightly later RD, it was still filmed in 1996 - but I do remember other episodes later in this run are greater in terms of PQ improvement.