Last RD ep. you watched recently

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sanja, Aug 10, 2010.

1. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

Although I do love Tikka to Ride as it is, I would agree that the Xtended version is even better, especially if it had a laughter track too. The end is awkward in the original and like you say the curry one in Xtended is the superior one. Meanwhile - although they are not up there with Rob Grant's co-writes - I like the additional scenes of dialogue like in the cockpit and it gives the script more time to breath. It makes it feel some more like the banter we got in series 6 - not the same obviously but closer.

Maybe after I have finished the main Dwarfathon I will have to have another watch of the Xtended Tikka too...

2. UltraDevotee

Finally for now...to go back to the Beatles idea of Rob and Doug being the Lennon and McCartney of screen writing. Although Doug-solo has not created a Revolver, Rubber Soul, Sgt Pepper, The White Album or Abbey Road (i.e. series 2-6) since Rob Grant left, like solo Lennon while there is Some Time In New York City (e.g. parts of 7, half of series 8 and BtE) there is also Plastic Ono Band, Imagine and Walls and Bridges (series 10-12).

Sorry that is a bit of nonsense but basically expressed although there has been weak stuff from Doug since the separation of his writing partnership with Rob, there has also been some strong material that - although not totally up there with series 2-6 - is excellent IMHO.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  3. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

I agree. When I first watched it, I really hated it and I was really upset with all those continuity errors and kind of obvious time travel storyline. It rellay improved with repeated viewings. Now I'm more benevolent to the errors and I tend to enjoy even the bad episodes more in general.

Oh, it was filmed probably with smeg-ups later for the Xtended VHS. Didn't know this, but fortunately, I wasn't the only one. (Interesting that Google usually result from this forum first, when searching a question as this one. This forum still has its place in the world of internet.)

To the ending(s), I found them both a bit crappy, but the extended one is at least funny.

4. UltraDevotee

Ouroboros, last night.

IMHO the first two episodes of 1997 are classic Dwarf and this one marked the point at which RD went downhill to an extent. I know there had been a lot of silliness in the glory days of the show but they were always backed by a clever sci-fi concept behind it. The ideas in Ouroboros such as fathering yourself with your ex-girlfriend from a parallel dimension (genetically impossible) and the dental floss/crossbow pay offs seem to be so daft that RD now appears to be stupid and has lost its sophistication. Meanwhile, I personally think although series 7 is closer to sci-fi drama in tone, there is still plenty of comedy but the problem is that without Rob Grant it does not hit the mark as much.

However, the inclusion of Rimmer in one flashback scene is welcome, to tide over the disappointment of it being the first episode where he is no longer a crew member and Lister leaving his baby self under the pool table in the Aigburth Arms is quite moving as it finally reveals his origins, though like I said it still does not make sense. Additionally, Mel Bibby's new Starbug set is visually impressive too though only when the writing is better in this run do you fully appreciate it. TBH, when series 7 was first broadcast and until 2003, strangely I thought that it was superior to series 2 but then around 2005 I finally started to realise it simply does not reach the heights of the Rob Grant co-written series, apart from the first 2 and one later episode. But still last night I enjoyed Ouroboros a bit more than the last few occasions so it's rating IMHO will go up a bit to 6/10.

The upscale is actually mostly excellent and you can see a bit more detail IMHO as well as other PQ improvements. TBH, my eyes seem to be better now after a week of drops but yesterday and the evening before they were still playing up a bit so probably Tikka to Ride and Stoke Me a Clipper are excellent improvements too (as I stated in the Red Dwarf Blu-rays thread last year) as you would expect from a series filmed 3 years after the previous one.

5. UltraDevotee

Duct Soup, last night.

This episode is an improvement after the previous mediocre one IMHO. It's a sort of bottle episode with the Dwarfers spending most of it trapped with each other in the ducts. Although the humour again does not scale the heights it did with Rob Grant co-writing, there are some pretty funny bits of dialogue like in the "Cryten" scene and the gag about how Lister developed claustrophobia. Meanwhile, the resolution for them being stuck in the ducts with them using the backwash to "surf" back to Lister's Quarters is entertaining to watch and must have been fun to film. However, this episode with them all being confined does appear to be a bit of a poor man's Marooned to a fair extent. Although Rob's departure is more noticeable now, ultimately as it is an intriguing, character-based adventure through the innards of the ship it is overall quite good. 7/10.

The upscale is an improvement on some scenes but overall not one of the best IMHO as other parts are not as clear.

6. Jape of The Decade

Jape of The Decade First Technician

I recently binge watched Series V for the first time in years along with the special features.

There are episodes in other series I really enjoy but this has to be the best series by far! Some interesting stuff in the special features too.

I think series VI & V were Red Dwarf at its best. Some truly genius writing and very funny stories.

I agree about Meltdown being underrated. It was never one of my favourite episodes growing up but after watching it back I think it's brilliant.

The choices of historical characters, the dialogue between them, watching Rimmer going power crazy and Lister trying to be the voice of reason.

It's probably the only episode of the show to hit such a political stance.

I think that series is next on the list.. :-)

UltraDevotee likes this.
  7. UltraDevotee

Blue, this afternoon.

This episode with them remaining on ship throughout and obviously due to one of the flashbacks being back on Red Dwarf, reminds me slightly of one from series 1/2 in a way as there are so many scenes with the characters simply talking with each other. IMHO Chloe Annett played Kochanski well and after all it could not have been Clare Grogan who took over instead because the latter lacked some pure acting ability. However, I did prefer Clare Grogan's version because she seemed to be more charismatic than this series 7 one. Like I said, Chloe performed well but the problem was the way Doug wrote her - Rimmer's pomposity made you laugh because he is largely stupid whereas this new Kochanski is genuinely intelligent and her air of superiority over the rest of the crew is quite alienating. Still her insight into Lister looking back more positively on Rimmer is a more likeable character trait. Meanwhile, because Rimmer was equally snobby too in terms of class, her not fitting in with the The Cat and Lister's games night and vice versa is one of my favourite scenes in the series due to the cringe worthy activities the males have.

In fact, this is one of the most humorous episodes since the first 2 and the Rimmer Munchkin song has got to be one of the most memorable RD scenes ever to round it off. Although it still is not of the indomitable level of the Rob Grant-era as the plot of Lister trying to forget Rimmer is slightly sketch show-like at times, this is a more marked improvement on the previous 2 and overall a pretty good episode. 7.5/10.

The upscale is really good IMHO this time with more detail (anyone notice the sewing machine is called "Talkie" too?), more vivid colours and better sharpness.

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Gunmen of the Apocalypse

This is such a wonderful episode. One I can come back to every so often without ever tiring of it.

I decided to give it another watch following my comments earlier in the thread about it being awkwardly slow and jerky in parts. Actually it seemed to flow much more smoothly than earlier with the exception of the fight in the saloon, which still seemed jerky and awkwardly stiff. And the 'reverse footage' special effects for Lister's knife and apple throwing moments are terrible.

I'd also like to mention Denis Lill, who puts in one of Red Dwarf's great villain performances in this episode. First as the simulant and then as the leader of the titular Gunmen of the Apocalypse.

And it's amazing what you can find out with a quick look around the internet. I was thinking I'd only ever seen Lill in this and Only Fools and Horses, but I just found on Wikipedia that he also played the memorable role of the drunken Sir Talbot Buxomly in Blackadder the Third. I never knew it was him.

Asclepius likes this.
  9. UltraDevotee

Although it is 6 that is my top pick, I agree that the top 2 series are 5 and 6. Now that I have got up to series 7 I feel that I am - after the first 2 great episodes - witnessing the show past its peak unfortunately, though Duct Soup is good and Blue pretty good at least. But series 10 and especially 11/12 are significantly better than 7/8/BtE fortunately so I look forward to reaching those.

On this Dwarfathon, I really enjoyed re-watching Meltdown - it's very silly but it works, it has purpose, it is better written. I agree series 4 would be a good choice for you and 3 is my 3rd favourite RD run ever! And 2 is fantastic too.

Jape of The Decade likes this.
  10. UltraDevotee

Nice review. I personally think the whole episode flows really well and that is one of its strengths.

And I have learned something new - I hate to embarrassingly admit this but either I forgot or never was aware that the leader of the Apocalypse boys was played by the same actor who played the simulant. You are right Denis Lill is so good as a RD villain because he plays it straight and sinister.

Bluey likes this.
  11. Jape of The Decade

I gave up on watching them in the right order years ago. I have all my DVD's ripped to my hard drive so I can just dip in and out of favourite episodes when I want.

That being said its been a while. And I really enjoyed watching Series V for the first time in years.

I've seen them all so many times now, they are just kinda imprinted on my brain!

12. UltraDevotee

Beyond a Joke, last night.

As stated previously, although I strangely thought that series 7 was superior to series 2 for 6 years after my first viewing in 1997, I did originally view this episode as the weak link. Well now I feel this is one of the better shows of this run of Red Dwarf. The Pride and Prejudice world scenes are not as important and mindblowing as others when the Dwarfers have used the AR machine but they are entertaining and fun - that explosion was dramatic and must have been exciting to film. In fact, I believe series 7 had a bit of a higher budget than previously and it is things as visually significant as this that make it worth it.

This episode is also pretty strong because there is a lot packed into it, it has good pacing and the plot changes direction and has an element of surprise, a bit like some of the episodes in the classic era. There is enough strong comedy throughout and on this occasion I even like Kochanski's condescension towards Lister and the Cat when she starts talking to the wall. Also although Don Henderson is not as amazing as Denis Lill - perhaps also because the writing was not as sharp as it was in the previous series - I still think he acted the part as a simulant very well.

Robert Llewellyn contributed to the creation of this and Doug re-wrote it to give it that RD sheen and it is an effective Kryten episode from the pair with the Able sacrificing himself (Kryten's comical, addled "brother") with the nega drive pay off quite cleverly rounding it off well. TBH, although series 7 is overall a half great/half weak series I think Doug did the best he could as the fact that he used other writers as part of a team shows that it was always going to be challenge after the departure of Rob Grant. Also although series 8 has one more episode than 7 that I would consider classic, the weaker parts of 7 are much superior to the low points of 8. Beyond a Joke is certainly not vintage but definitely pretty good again. 7.5/10.

The upscale is excellent BTW.

13. UltraDevotee

Epideme, this afternoon.

I am not really going to write too much about this episode given what is happening in the world right now but I will make a couple of basic points. Firstly, this is after the first 2 brilliant shows of series 7, the only other one that reaches classic status for me and unsurprisingly is one of them that most harks back to the series 4-6 glory days, particularly the dark comedy of 5. Secondly, Kochanski's ingenious, heroic saving of Lister is her finest moment of the 1997 run for me and an example of where her greater mental capability is written to better effect and is more useful for the crew. 9/10.

The Blu-ray version is again a really good improvement from the DVD IMHO and has better clarity/colour.

14. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

Epideme is really under-rated episode.

UltraDevotee likes this.
  15. Jape of The Decade

I'm noticing a bit of a theme here with lots of people re-watching Series VII in finding reasons as to why they liked it.

Tikka to Ride was the first episode I saw broadcast live after binge watching the first 6 series several times. It was the first episode of the show that I didn't enjoy. I found the entire series underwhelming and disappointing as it had become so far removed from the show I was used too.

I've grown to enjoy it more over the years, the 'movie' look as opposed to 'sitcom' and I do think the extended versions are far better and make more sense.

I know it's been a long term issue with fans and I've got used to continuity changes over the years, but as soon as they found the time drive that could transport them anywhere was the biggest let down for me as it renders the concept of the show pointless.

It was the first sign that series was going down hill. Yet over the years I have grown an appreciation for VII. Its not quite Red Dwarf, its something a bit fun and different. :-)

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  16. Jape of The Decade

And no I'm not the guy who shouted at Ed Bye at a convention...

17. UltraDevotee

I'm really glad you are another fan of this ep. Like I said, this is the only other one in the series apart from the first 2 with Rimmer, that I would consider classic.

18. UltraDevotee

I do think it was hard for Doug without Rob and without Chris for most of it too but while I do think episodes like Duct Soup, Blue and Beyond a Joke are surely good to pretty good...I would agree with you that it is not the same perfect RD it was between series 2-6. So yes series 7 has got something with its more movie-like, dramatic style - and there are 3 episodes that are up there with the best RD IMHO - but it did mark the point at which the show went downhill for some time.

19. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Thank you

20. UltraDevotee

Nanarchy, last night.

On first broadcast back in 1997 and for 6 years I used to love this series 7 finale, but now although I don't think it is garbage it is essentially instead good and solid RD material. However, it does have a few faults that make it not vintage RD. The viewer can see that Kochanski has good intentions in trying to make Lister independent as possible from Kryten, but she does come across as pretty cold as he has only just lost his arm very recently. To show I am not just criticising Kochanski again, I also feel although The Cat's pitbull dialogue is funny he does seem particularly nastier than normal despite the fact he is naturally an egocentric git. Additionally, the "hand pick up the ball" scene is comical but it does outstay its welcome slightly too.

But still this show does have strengths too - again there is a lot packed into the episode and it is unpredictable as it quickly moves from Lister's recent disability to finding out what had happened to their mothership finally after 2 series. IMHO, although it is really daft with the nanobots travelling in Lister's sock basket, it is clever too as these microscopic robots have inspired future sci-fi programmes like Steven Moffat's sensational "Are You My Mummy?" episodes in New Who's first revived series. The concept of the nanobots behind the silliness ensures that the resolution to Red Dwarf being found has a reasonably good sci-fi foundation behind it and rounds off the two Starbug Red Dwarf series well. I also like - clearly because it was at the point at which they lost Red Dwarf - the ocean planet on which arguably RD's finest half hour took place being referenced again.

Obviously one of the main notable positive features of Nanarchy is that Norman Lovett finally re-appears as Holly and while he has some amusing lines, I do feel this also reveals the main criticism of series 7 is that while it is funny, it lacks the absolute tightness in the script that it used to have with Rob Grant co-writing. This is the first time a RD episode has had 3 writers I think and definitely Paul Alexander - after the brilliance of Stoke Me a Clipper and Epideme - is the strongest one of 7's team. Although I would certainly not consider this top RD, it resolves the missing mothership story fairly successfully, I enjoyed it a bit more than usual and the slight cliffhanger ending with the vintage RD music allows the end of this series to strongly transition into the next one eventually 2 years later. 7.25/10.

Last year I first watched this upscale on my larger TV and thought it was mostly not one of the best, but now after seeing it on my smaller TV I actually think it is reasonably OK, though the most HD-like bit was still the robotic arm scene.

Ant E likes this.