Last RD ep. you watched recently

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sanja, Aug 10, 2010.

1. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

Back in the Red Part I, this afternoon.

After the seventh series that was more drama-like in tone at times, Doug returned the show in series 8 back to its sitcom foundations but with a twist. Gone is the filmised picture, the Starbug of the previous 2 series dramatically explodes away and the experimental part is (other) nanobots resurrecting the RD crew too in addition to Kryten's restoring the Dwarfers' mothership. I know it contradicts the premise of the show in that Lister is the last human, but when series 8 is in one of its better moments it is fun to have them back too and I like the way you briefly see Chen and Selby return also. Meanwhile, the old Lister-Rimmer bunkroom is recreated too for one scene for the first time until over 18 years later and as RD was then into its eighth run that is welcome nostalgia as well - the "Well the nice one's are" joke is one of the most hilarious moments IMHO. Although Norman Lovett I agree is mostly a joke cracking tool in series 8, I still really enjoy his contributions and the rat gag was one of the funniest parts to me due to Holly's pun.

But that is the main thing as Doug has returned RD to pure comedy at this point this is the first episode that I continually laughed out loud at since - apart from maybe Epideme to a fair extent - Stoke Me a Clipper. Admittedly it is mostly puerile and basic humour but it is successful and I feel the psychiatric counsellor scene has got to be one of my favourites in RD history due to its ridiculously farcical nature. IMHO, while there is definitely some really poor material in 8 that drags the rest down and alienated some Dwarfers, Back in the Red Part I is one of the stronger half of episodes and classic Dwarf. 9/10.

The upscale is exceptionally good (sharp, colourful and detailed) obviously as this is the latest series in the boxset and with fresh eyedrops my vision has improved finally to fully appreciate it.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  2. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

I agree that it's one of the stronger episodes from series VIII, but it's far from classic Dwarf and far from 10/10 score imho. The writing is sometimes funny, but quite stupid in comparison with the original episodes and it seems awkward in a lot of lines.

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes, I think you're being too generous with these ratings. Back in the Red Part 1 is a very bad episode: the awful bunkroom scene with Lister and Rimmer, the hideous psychiatric counsellor/Kryten conversation, the CGI rat, etc. I would probably only rate it about 2.5 out of ten.

Ant E and Asclepius like this.
  4. UltraDevotee

I must admit I was not sure whether to give it a 10 or a 9 tbh. If Gunmen of the Apocalypse or The Inquisitor are 10 each then maybe full marks is a bit too much for Back in the Red Part I.

However, I do still really love it so maybe 9.5 is fair ultimately (I'll edit my above review). At least you like the episode a bit anyway...but I kind of guessed that most others on this forum detest the 1999 run completely which obviously is fair enough too.

5. UltraDevotee

Back in the Red Part II

I really enjoyed this second episode too of RD's first ever multi-part story. It is true that it is often pure comedy and less sci-fi but there is some really funny dialogue and scenes in there. The opening bit with the extended "special" Rimmer salute has to be one of the best, most iconic moments - it's long and drawn out but that's the point and what makes it funny. I really do think Doug got back to - after one series with less prominent humour - making most of it hilarious again though perhaps some bits do go a bit too far and seem a bit too rude (though at least Rimmer mostly only used the sexual magnetism virus during the AR "trial"). The only other negative is while the seemingly (I believe) increased budget was partly spent on CGI again and it looks satisfactory IMHO, I do prefer the charming and well rendered models of old on this occasion. But generally Doug recalling the positive viruses was effective with the sexual magnetism providing a bit of comic value and the luck virus lending a bit of cleverness to the script. Ultimately, the humour in series 8 is really goofy and often slapstick but IMHO it is pleasurable where it is not excessively vulgar. This is another excellent episode and definitely part of the much stronger half of the 1999 shows (9/10), but I would say it does go downhill before the beginning of the next one when the Dibbley scene with the silly music appears at the end...

The Blu-ray version is again brilliant obviously as it is the most recent series in the box set.

6. UltraDevotee

BTW, I have given both Part I and Part II now 9/10. 10/10 = Back to Reality and White Hole, so although I really enjoyed the first 2 parts of Back in the Red, 9/10 is a bit fairer IMHO.

7. Jape of The Decade

Jape of The Decade First Technician

Series III last night for the first time in years!

I'd almost forgotten how perfect this series is. Every episode is brilliant. The writing is so tight and perfectly executed. It's great to see more of how Rob/Doug imagined the series to be now that they were bought on as producers.

Whilst I still love the first two series I think this was the one that really kick started the shows long run. Had it remained series 1/2 format it may not have lasted as long.

The change in style is very welcome, it looks great and is very entertaining.

Series III - Truly a masterpiece :-)

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    UltraDevotee and Alexandra like this.
  8. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Really??? Never understood the Series 3 love

9. Jape of The Decade

Jape of The Decade First Technician

Yes, really.

Series III is where the show first found it's feet and made it's mark on the BBC.

It's the first time we hear the iconic theme tune, are introduced to Starbug, bazookoids, the officers quarters, better costumes and much tighter stories.

The change in tone and visuals are very welcome and makes the show stand out so much more to appeal to a much wider audience.

I still love the first two series but this was the start of something great, and I don't think the show would have lasted much longer if it remained the way it was.

I would list the episodes I love in this series but there is no point as they are are all great. Brilliant writing, creative, genius and very very funny.

I don't see how anyone couldn't like it. It's certainly vastly superior to anything Series VI onwards... :-)

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  10. UltraDevotee

Back in the Red Part III, last night.

Upon re-watch last night I actually found this third part of the story that reintroduces the Red Dwarf mothership quite good, with some obvious exceptions. The opening scene in Lister and Rimmer's cell was obviously inserted to fill the time up to half an hour, but I really enjoyed the callous social worker/priest gag. There was quite a lot I found very funny in fact that it is impossible to list it all. Meanwhile, although AR has been in RD before, it's reuse in this episode provides it with some decent sci-fi as the 2 virtual realities in the same one concept gives the episode some cleverness and a level of complexity. This idea is also positive as Holly's creating a separate set of nanobots to resurrect the crew means that in this particular episode that he is more than just a joke cracking tool and part of the plot instead.

However, there are a couple of definite faults that reduce the episode's quality. Firstly, it is nowhere near as tight as you would have expected one to be back in its series 2-6 heyday, as the Blue Midget dance scene seems to be boringly endless padding. Additionally, the final scene ruins the episode somewhat too as although you do not see fully what happens to Rimmer after Lister pours the sexual magnetism virus over him in the Tank, the potential implication is unpleasant and horrible. Also Lister is ultimately - as the events of Back to Reality show - a person of good morals so it is like Doug wrote this without considering that it was very out of character for him to do this.

Overall though, back in 2000 when I bought the series 8 Byte 1 VHS I did think this episode was while not great still just about strong and I still feel that now. Maybe although only half of the 1999 run is classic Dwarf and this is amongst the lesser half, it is more the last three shows that are mediocre/terrible and this is in fact tolerably good. 7/10.

The upscale is again fantastic and it looks very HD-like, as if it could have been filmed recently.

11. UltraDevotee

Cassandra, last night.

Of all the episodes of the eighth series of RD, this IMHO is the one that most harks back to its peak years. With the sci-fi concept of the computer that has future visions - convincingly played by the excellent Geraldine McEwan - it has the sophisticated sci-fi of a series 4-5 show. Apart from the fact that the main Dwarfers are in the Tank - the opening bunkroom scene with the recall of the famous "Oh Listy" dialogue from series 2's finale and Tank characters like the maniac Kill Crazy and sadistic wardens are enjoyable IMHO - this episode could easily fit into one those early 90s runs. I like the reference back to Future Echoes too to provide Red Dwarf with a bit of continuity in this case, although it is the nano-Rimmer's ignorance that helps save him and the Warden Knott pay off is extremely clever. The final moments of the episode in which Lister inadvertently destroys Cassandra with the chewing gum has got to be one of the most ingenious bits of writing by Doug and directing by Ed Bye ever IMHO. The set of the SSS Silverberg is fantastically labyrinth-like and it really makes the viewer believe that they are witnessing yet another amazing space adventure on a wrecked ship by the Dwarfers. Meanwhile, Chloe Annett's Kochanski is written better in this series as she is so much more likeable because her air of superiority to the other main Dwarfers is more subtle this time and more gently acted. I loved this episode when I saw its first broadcast back in March 1999 and I still adore it now because it is very much vintage Dwarf IMHO with a twist of the new comedy prison format (the superior aspects of it). 10/10.

The upscale is again really impressive and the most sharpest bits have to be the scenes in Cassandra's room.

12. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

The acting of the guy playing Knott is appalling though!! But yes, agree it’s a good ep!

UltraDevotee likes this.
  13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I never liked Cassandra. Sure, it has some of the style of old Red Dwarf, but it's still a very bad season VIII episode. And I can't stand Kill Crazy.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    Asclepius likes this.
  14. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Don’t talk about Max Branning like that!!

Nikki the Great likes this.
  15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I don't know who Max Branning is.

16. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

Cassandra is some of the better ones form VIII, but still I would't compare it to the original episodes.
    It has a sci-fi storyline probably as only episode from this series, but often it's so utterly stupid and repeating Future Echoes.

And Knot and Kill Crazy are both terrible.

17. UltraDevotee

Krytie TV, last night

I must confess, I do still really enjoy this episode. Admittedly, it is after the last show back into straightforward prison sitcom (with absolutely no sci-fi) but unlike the remaining 3, it does at least possess a proper story. I like the way the Ackerman's date sub-plot combines with the Kryten's re-programming main one for the hilarious - though admittedly crude - Beadle's About/Escape Room (Crystal Maze-like) climax. The twist at the end that the appeal is merely about returning Lister's guitar strings is proper plotting too by Doug and Rimmer's pained expression is comedy gold. However, you do realise at this point in the 1999 run how sparingly Norman was used, though his contributions are very amusing and better than just merely being about opening doors etc. IMHO. Also although this episode is virtually all tightly comical, the Shower Room bit does cross a line and although you only really see the male human/humanoid Dwarfers' responses it is still so lewd and perverted a scheme that in this current social climate Krytie TV would be pulled now. Still this was the last episode of 8 that I fully enjoyed 21 years ago upon first TV broadcast and although certain bits definitely go too far I am pleased the episode was still included in last year's box set because if not it would have meddled with Red Dwarf's history. 10/10.

The upscale of this ep. is mostly good but not one of the best because a few scenes are a bit grainy.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  18. UltraDevotee

One of the EastEnders. I used to see it back in 2009-2013 but I gave up cos I went off the soap operas. After a while the stories end up repeating themselves too much. Still the Max Branning character was great when I used to watch it.

19. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I've seen a few Eastenders episodes in the past, but that was before he was in it. Actually, the only thing other than Red Dwarf that I've seen Jake Wood in is the anthology movie Tube Tales where he had a brief role as an annoying tube passenger.

20. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

While I wasn’t keen on David Ross’s version of Kryten, I thought the skeletons scene was amongst the funniest bits of Red Dwarf ever.

It’s curious that one of my favourite scenes is within one of my least favourite of the earlier episodes. Comparatively speaking- I don’t hate the episode.

My two favourite episodes of series 2 there, albeit in different ways.

This reminds me, I should order the Blu-ray. I have been reluctant to due to already owning the DVDs and the production issues with the Blu-ray.

I’ve noticed certain skipping issues with a couple of the DVDs though, so I think I’ll go for it. I’m hoping the issues with the first batch were ironed out so I don’t have to order the replacement disks (assuming they’re still being provided).