Last RD ep. you watched recently

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sanja, Aug 10, 2010.

1. BruceFivesyth

BruceFivesyth First Technician

My thoughts on Dimension Jump.

Another episode where its reputation has been slightly harmed by the later reappearances of the guest character. Due to Ace Rimmer’s ubiquity in the years that followed, it’s easy to forget that catchphrases like “Smoke me a kipper” and “What a guy!” were genuinely funny the first time around.

It was bold of Rob and Doug to start in another dimension, but they seemed capable of pretty much anything at this point. It’s also interesting to see Robert and Hattie given human roles, and Bongo deserved his own series!

When I watched these episodes as they were broadcast they seemed so fresh and innovative compared to other sitcoms at the time. It helped that they were much funnier, too.

I think this is deservedly often nominated as the best of Series IV and Chris is excellent in both roles. There is also plenty of good Rimmer character stuff.

10/10.

2. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Back to Reality.

An end to an era in some respects, as after this series there was a huge shift to cramming a hundred jokes into every episode. It’s a shame, because here we see how well the show could do drama and most of the laughs come naturally to fit in with the plot and the characters.

I was only a kid when this was first on TV and I remember being fascinated by the reveal that it was all a game. Now, much older and possibly wiser, I can see that this had to be a hallucination, but I was sucked in at the time.

Great performances from both the main and guest cast, great effects and model shots and crucially the focus is on one really solid plot idea for the entire episode. I wish that they’d taken this approach more in later years when sometimes there have been 3, 4 or 5 storylines in one instalment.

10/10.

3. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

You make a good point about the Starbug startup sequence being contrived. Although perhaps it would have been better to have had another cleverer way for Telford to be trapped, I don't think it ruined the episode and stopped it from being very much classic Dwarf.

I just remember on the day series 12 debuted on Dave back in October 2017, I had an appointment in Liverpool - I remember all the series 12 posters around the city too (good promotion UKTV) - and when I got back to my house in Formby in the evening and saw it I immediately thought it was genuinely good and enjoyed it a lot.

BTW, regarding the greater number of plots in the Dave era, I don't mind if it is just 3 (that is fine IMHO) but if the half hour becomes over-cluttered with around about 4/5 then that is when I would object. e.g. in Can of Worms that bit about the personality tuck machine annoys me because it is merely there to recall the Psirens Rimmer gag and it has no purpose in the pay off. The thing that irritates me the most is it is not even explained explicitly why it has no influence in the diesel decks scene. Still Can of Worms was a definite 8/10 for me last year but this time it went down to 7.5 - maybe I wasn't in the right mood I suppose - though it could go back up in the future. Still a fairly worthwhile 3rd part in the Polymorph trilogy though IMHO.

BruceFivesyth likes this.
  4. UltraDevotee

Timewave, last night.

I must admit I do not think this episode is as "bad" as other fans say it is and the odd critic here and there did like it (though it's response overall was mixed). This is extremely high on the far out spectrum and it is actually very weird and wacky. It is like a revival of series 8 and its humour as there is - apart from the timewave bit at the definitely solid beginning - very scant sci-fi. But as my reviews a few pages back show I do not mind the 1999 run as much as others so perhaps that is why I find this episode quite pleasurable. A place where criticism is illegal is yet another new idea in this somewhat more innovative series 12 compared to 11's greater harking back and clearly the starship's crew has no concept of constructive criticism (as Lister appears to imply) as they go between the extremes of rowing too much or tolerating each others' ridiculous stupidity. It is a very funny episode overall IMHO with Johnny Vegas being the most distinctive and best of the guest cast and I enjoy it greatly when he repeats all the synonyms for fault finding. One of my other favourite scenes was the prisoner in the straight jacket for merely tutting - it being such an excessively ridiculous punishment is what makes it so amusing. Ziggy Briceman is definitely irritating but I suppose he was intended to be because he cannot tolerate any real negative comment so the weakest RD character ever is still Birdman IMHO.

The pay off is certainly not one of the most sophisticated in the show's history with Rimmer's massive critical faculty being too much for the draining machine and the Lister's paranoia-like enormous Rimmer critic being defeated by being blamed for his manslaughter of the Red Dwarf crew, but it is at least sufficiently effective. Yet again in series 12/11 there is a very abrupt ending but it is not too detrimental to Timewave's quality because it is a really hilarious, resounding twist that Ziggy restores the criticism law, rounding off the episode well. Anyway, the RD posse could escape because the Crit Cop this time would not obstruct them.

However, just to demonstrate that I am not totally tasteless, the sexual harrassment bit at the start is inappropriate as recent years show that it is a serious accusation and not to be joked about and trivialised. Additionally, the spit on her wrist/clitoris rhyming line is definitely obscene and very lazy dialogue from Doug anyway.

IMHO Timewave overall is a very good episode with some really funny - admittedly extremely silly series 8-like - comedy but it is surely the weakest 2017 episode and I can see why it alienated a few of the most hardcore Dwarfers, though it is nice to see them journeying through space in Starbug for the last time this series. 8/10.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  5. UltraDevotee

Mechocracy, this afternoon.

After the last episode which was pilloried by some quarters, this is the point in series 12 that some Dwarfers felt it got back into form. The manipulation gag may not be one of the absolute finest in the show's history but it is certainly very funny, pretty clever and a strong opening scene. In the early part of this show, I particularly appreciate how Rimmer's git characteristics - like in Give and Take and the earlier RD series - are brought back to the fore as he gloats about yellow alert meaning danger for someone else and is a wind up merchant towards Lister when he pettily promotes him slightly and then instantaneously demotes him. It is all very funny but the "like having unprotected sex in Doncaster" joke is the pinnacle of the humour. I adore the way it appears that the episode is going to be about the crew yet again having to desert Red Dwarf because of a catastrophe (like Demons and Angels or even ending up stranded back in Starbug like in series 6 (nice hark back to my top RD run)) and it then magically surprises the viewer by transforming into politically themed plot. Having this episode and the rest of the series being completely set on Red Dwarf is welcome and complements the space travelling in the first half really well.

It is a real positive to have a political satire in Red Dwarf (yet another new idea in series 12) and the "smear" campaigns feel yet again like a RD tour-de-force with all the old footage of vintage episodes. The Cat being embarrassed and ashamed at having to wear glasses was not an issue IMHO because he has always been extremely vain and self aware of his appearance and it is nice for Doug to integrate the cast/crew's advancing ages into these scripts of recent years.

The Talkie Toaster pay off is again sublime due to the recall of an old, legendary character last seen 26 years before without any pre-knowledge unlike with Holly in Skipper. Although, admittedly he does not say anything massively different to his dialogue in White Hole, it is still a triumphant re-appearance by David Ross and sort of reminds me of the 2017 UK General Election result with the DUP being like Talkie in holding all the cards for the Conservatives to do a deal with them to keep power. Although it is really simple in the last scene when Talkie is driving Rimmer insane by endlessly repeating "Do You Want Any Toast?" it is one of the most comical moments too as it mocks how politicians lie. Talkie is not moved - as was promised - into the bunkroom (instead locked in with Rimmer who presumably was fetching him) and as he was so old and in the garbage holder for so long then he would be malfunctioning anyway.

Another couple of points I must add are that the models still look amazingly realistic - even better than series 10 - and although not as bright, the lighting in series 12/11 is superior too because it has more of the ambience of a space ship.

I remember the first few occasions that I watched this, I was not overly impressed because other fans had possibly "bigged it up" a bit too much by stating that it was massively superior to Timewave which I quite enjoyed anyway. But this is certainly a very strong episode with much better storytelling than the previous one (and not too many plots with a good shift between the 2) and I can see why some Dwarfers - although Cured and Siliconia are excellent IMHO - feel the second half of series 12 is superior and more like classic Dwarf. 8.5/10.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  6. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Emohawk.

I have very mixed feelings about this one…

It has a lot of funny moments and good ideas such as Rimmer’s hair theory, the entire meeting with the GELFs and the “I don’t think he could even get into a science fiction convention” gag. I know some people were offended by the latter, but come on…

The idea of bringing back the Polymorph, Ace and Duane Dibbley works up to a point, but it set a dangerous precedent. It’s the sort of thing that many fans will always ask for, but giving them what they want isn’t necessarily a good idea. We must have had about 10 sequel episodes or reused ideas in the series since and most have been pale facsimiles of the originals.

I’m not sure Ace appearing makes too much sense either, as it’s odd for the Emohawk to suck out all of Rimmer’s negative qualities to turn him into a formidable adversary!

8/10.

7. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Stoke Me a Clipper.

A momentous episode in the history of Dwarf as it’s the first to be primarily written by anyone other than Rob or Doug. Paul Alexander came up with the entire concept of Rimmer becoming Ace and while Doug then obviously contributed, it’s surprising that he had another writer pen something so important as the “death” of a main character.

As they were all hoping that Chris would return at some point, it wasn’t the best idea as it has led to years of “Is this the original Rimmer?” questions. A more sensible approach might have been for the crew to get involved in a skirmish which ended with the Hologram Simulation Unit being damaged. If done correctly, it could have made for a dramatic episode with Rimmer’s “death” and he could have been naturally brought back the next series.

Anyhow, the cold-open sequence is very well done, but it’s not very Dwarfy. It’s Paul Alexander (with contributions from Doug and Ed) writing a Bond spoof sketch. I kind of like it as it is, but it would fit in better as part of a Dwarf Night or a Dwarf spin-off.

The Knight VR scene is another sketch, but a less impressive one. It’s a bit of a waste of fine actors like Brian Cox and Sarah Alexander and the “Lister of Smeg” line is decidedly lazy (just as lazy as earlier calling a character Princess Bonjela). It is also a stretch for Lister to then wear a knight’s costume (which he just happened to have lying around! ;-)) and then to quickly describe Rimmer’s death as having been caused by an escaped knight (which Kryten and the Cat seemingly believe). It’s an example of the plotting issues that subsequently became a regular problem.

I don’t mean to sound entirely negative as Chris is very good in both roles, there are some funny and dramatic moments and Howard Goodall’s music is superb.

Probably the best episode of Series VII.

My personal bugbear again is far too many “than” jokes:
    “Worse than playing away at Leeds.”
    “Sharper than a page of Oscar Wilde witticisms that have been rolled up into a point, sprinkled with lemon juice and jabbed into someone’s eye.”
    “Your brain moves quicker than a nun’s first curry.”
    “Most eunuchs have got more balls than you.”

6/10.

8. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

My thoughts on “Gadget Boy: Raiders of the Lost MummiesS01 Ep 01

A pretty strong series opener where Agent Heather and G-9 attempt to stop Spydra from turning the world's leaders into mummies. You’ll remember that the world and all its treasure shall belong to [me] Spydra once she eliminates Gadget Boy.

Henchman Boris is a great addition and nearly as good as Mad Cat. I have high hopes for the next episode.

7/10

9. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Have you tried Series 02 episode 06 “The Three Gadgeteers”! They had a slight change of direction for this series and spent all of it going through time. Worth a try @BruceFivesyth

10. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Back to Earth – Part One.

It was an interesting time when this was broadcast as some fans genuinely enjoyed it, some fans convinced themselves that they’d enjoyed it and have since revised their opinions and, because of how much hype there was at the time, some people had unrealistic expectations and turned off after the first instalment.

Watching it back now is rather more interesting than enjoyable for me, as so many aspects were more down to necessity than any artistic desire on Doug’s part. The CG skutters, the green screen, no audience laughter and having an episode that lasts around 22 minutes all make this unique in the history of Dwarf.

There is undeniably a problem with pacing here which led to them cutting several minutes, and it still feels very slow and stilted. You can tell that the actors hadn’t played the characters for years and they don’t quite have the energy or timing that we’d come to expect. Doug’s directing is also fairly sedate and awkward.

Some of the bigger moments like Lister ironing his sneezes, the Cat uttering his “Monkey brain” line and Katerina overhearing Rimmer and Kryten’s conversation (shades of Series VIII here) also fall flat for me.

On the positive side…I think that, considering the budget, it’s amazing that the show could look this good. There are also one or two nice visual moments such as the tentacle striking Cat in the face.

4/10

11. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Back to Earth – Part Two.

I think the elements here work better as part of the director’s cut than they do in a stand-alone instalment. The opening few minutes look impressive, but there aren’t really many laughs which isn’t ideal for a shortened sitcom episode.

Some of the scenes that follow may be among the strongest of Back to Earth though, as the stuff in Price Smashers is at least interesting and Noddy is then an amusing character. The bus conversation with the kids, despite some stilted dialog, is also intriguing.

Unfortunately the conclusion to this part is an absolute car crash (not literally, sadly). The Nose World scene simply should not be there as it gets in the way of the plot, and then we have a lengthy look at Carbug while nondescript music plays.

Quite a lot could have been cut and some quality control wouldn’t have gone amiss.

5/10.

12. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Back to Earth – Part Three.

Re-watching this again now, a number of sequences feel faintly embarrassing. The cabin crew dialog in Carbug, the Northern acting on Coronation Street, the long scene that features Kryten standing on numerous rakes and the incredibly self-indulgent Blade Runner references.

The fact that it is all a hallucination also takes away any drama now. Back to Reality is still enjoyable on the 1000th viewing because you have so many funny jokes and character moments. There are a few laughs (Craig going back to The Priory, for example), but nowhere near enough.

And borrowing the main idea from the most celebrated episode of the show again proves the diminishing returns theory.

The Kochanski scene towards the end is the undoubted highpoint (despite the again self-indulgent hair and make-up decisions), but this hasn’t aged well at all.

3/10.

13. UltraDevotee

M-Corp, last night.

I appreciate how the opening couple of scenes again reference the cast/crew's ageing with Lister celebrating his 50th birthday. He then appears to have a heart attack and I enjoy how Doug yet again revives Rimmer's nasty and snide ways when he takes pleasure in Lister's health problem. In fact it is a massive indigestion attack and the mountain-like plate of chips that Kryten subsequently brings is hilarious.

Generally, the episode feels like a return to the heavy sci-fi of series 5 in how to rid their ship of the evil, control freak company M-Corp. There are plenty and enough laughs but it feels like there is more of a concentration on the plotting at times with some more dramatic moments too. For example, the scene with the solitary Lister is very emotive and harks back to series 1's new found loneliness - in fact it moves me so much it kind of empathises with how I have felt during the worst of lockdown. Warm up guy Ian Boldsworth may not be the most famous actor ever (though he did appear briefly in arguably New Who's finest episode, Blink, I think), but his bit is very amusing and I like his winsome "you know you want to" line.

Although I was initially disappointed with the first pay off for Lister and the Dwarfers exiting the virtual M-Corp environment because I found it a bit primitive, nowadays I find it adequate. But what really makes the episode finish gloriously is the second resolution in which Kryten has to remove the M-Corp update from Lister's brain by restoring it from his last hologrammatical back up aged 24. It compensates for the cleverness that the first pay off lacks somewhat and I like how the "higher frequency" line - that Kryten uses to communicate with Lister via Chippy - recalls disputably Red Dwarf's finest ever half-hour, Back to Reality.

Ultimately, although I felt M-Corp was very good but not spectacular on my first few watches, since last year I feel its quality lies somewhere between very strong and excellent (i.e. pretty classic), recalling the complex science fiction of series 4-6. In fact, the final bit in which Lister returns to his completely immature mid-20s self is so amusing and not a grating callback to the first ever Red Dwarf scene, that this could even have been the last episode of series 12 if it had not been for the presence of Skipper. 8.75/10.

Asclepius likes this.
  14. UltraDevotee

Skipper, this afternoon.

One fan I remember once criticised the first part of this episode for being "just opposites," but I disagree with that opinion because Doug could not have devoted the entire 30 minutes to Rimmer's multiverse skipping as there might have been too little concentrated more on Lister, Kryten and The Cat. Also, it is the way this first 15 minutes is arranged that makes it suitably clever as Lister and The Cat get lost in a maze of reversals.

If the first half with the lesion in space/time causing chaos is very strong, the the second 15 minutes is simply phenomenal and spellbinding. The first skip in which Norman Lovett reappears as Holly for the first time in 18 long years - despite it being revealed beforehand - is just so incredible and deservedly got a colossal reception from the audience. Even though I personally enjoyed a lot of Holly's jokes in series 8, this is indeed the finest and most natural comical material voiced by him since 1988. My favourite bits are the inversion of the "Everybody's dead, Dave" dialogue from first ever episode The End and him confusing alcoholic drinks with the loss of the Starboard side of Red Dwarf.

Meanwhile, although Captain Hollister's return was more in keeping with his series 8 Donut Boy style, because I really enjoyed half of the 1999 run I do not mind and felt he was absolutely magnificent too, especially as his return had not been leaked (although mentions of his name in the opening scene and M-Corp implied it). The radiation leak occurring in this particular universe provides the episode with an even greater sense of action and drama. In the next skip, Mr Rat is surreal comedy in Red Dwarf at its best and all Rimmer's subsequent trips through the multiverse are thrilling too. I particularly enjoy the one with multiple Listers as it recalls the very strong series 11 episode Officer Rimmer, but this time it was Lister who used the bio-printer. Meanwhile, the one with Rimmer being sacrificed is entertainingly brutal, as it briefly harks back to the dark humour of series 5-6.

The pay off that ensures that Rimmer returns to his original existence back on his own universe's Red Dwarf is brilliantly character-based by Doug - he is so petty that despite everything else in this final member of the multi-verse being perfect for him he still skips it merely because Lister is his superior as Captain and richer too. The multitude of new and old sets (the old series 1/2 bunkroom is obviously the best) are fascinatingly and nostalgically good and set designer Keith Dunne deserves great praise for this work.

Overall, I have always felt that Skipper is a classic RD finale - an epic, 30th anniversary party piece - and the finest episode of the almost as excellent as its predecessor series 12. Although the sci-fi concept of the multiverse is like a twist on previous parallel/mirror universes and dimension jumps in RD, this is the only episode of 2017 that mostly recalls an old idea and so complements the innovations in the others really smartly. Incidentally, although I love all 3 of the previous Ace Rimmer episodes I am glad on this occasion that he was left in the past as there then probably would have been too many callbacks in series 12 and a too similar alternative universe story line. The sole criticism I have of the episode is that the time it took for the quantum skipper to recharge was inconsistent but that is only a minor issue. With 2 plots split into 2 acts, it is definitely one of the more accessible and streamlined Dave-era shows and that also provides it with a vintage BBC series 2-6 vibe. It is the best kind of ending (if no more material had been made) like series 10's The Beginning had with a feeling of finality - with Rimmer finding no universe in which he is contented - but not a proper full stop that might inevitably disappoint and I would be pleased to see this type of conclusion repeated if there is hopefully future RD. 9/10.

Jape of The Decade likes this.
  15. UltraDevotee

Oh well, that's the end of my spring 2020 Dwarfathon then. Although I felt like it was too soon since my last January-March 2019 one when I watched the first 3 episodes 2 months ago, watching the new one made me want to finish the rest. And I've got to say I have really enjoyed most of it - I suppose because I had only watched most of the episodes once in nearly 4 years prior (apart from series 3/5 Blu-ray discs when fixed last summer) then that is why I was not over familiar with all the lines.

Now there is going to be a hole in my activities during the day without watching the eps and doing the writing but there are other Blu-rays/DVDs I can watch now. I hope that - as long as it is truly safe - Liverpool will win the league this summer (they will probably be awarded it if the season is curtailed anyway) and that Channel 4 will finally show the remaining episodes of Celebrity Crystal Maze series 3 too. The ratings were poor but not totally bad, as nearly all the episodes made the top 15 of the station - anyway they showed the Christmas one at 10 pm and it isn't the least watched programme on the channel so why don't they just show them at another time anyway?

Anyhow, sorry to go off topic and really RD is not really over with the new release on Monday plus I might watch the Xtended series 7/8 shows at some point. I will have to keep in touch with the topics on this board and respond to other people's great reviews but I must admit after 6 and a half weeks nearly all without, the computer games like Football Manager and my X Plane 11 flight simulator - the only way of seeing the world at the moment - are calling.

But still I've really enjoyed RD over the past near 2 months and Skipper was an absolutely sensational way to go out!

BTW, @Ant E I apologise for not responding to you saying Hi last night - I just did not know how you reply to profile posts. So Hi now. :-)

BTW, the series 6 Blu-ray picture quality I would rate 9/10, series 7 one 10/10 and series 8 10/10, though admittedly my vision was not too great when I had that eye infection (all better now) when watching the BBC series.

All series one episodes I rate 8/10 apart from Future Echoes which gets a 9.

My favourite series to re-watch this Dwarfathon were 2, 6, some of 8, 10, 11 and 12. But it was all a great experience to watch it from start to finish. Anyway roll on Monday.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    Ant E and BruceFivesyth like this.
  16. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Skipper.

I presume that the title of this ep is an intentional reference to Dimension Jump, as there are quite a few similarities. In fact, watching it again, it is a little too close for comfort and the characters probably should have acknowledged their previous encounters with Ace Rimmer (in a similar way to how they acknowledged the concept of Future Echoes in Cassandra).

It’s unfortunate that the execution is reminiscent of a Treehouse of Horror V segment in The Simpsons. Rimmer and Homer both travel to a new dimension that seems to be perfect, only for it to have one fatal flaw…

The opening to Skipper and reading the Captain’s report is also pretty much a lift from Waiting for God. In an episode that has plenty of other back references, this is a little too much for me.

The opposite section is amusing and I wish that they could have used that as the basis for an entire episode. If they could have employed that as a way to escape from a perilous situation, then it might have made for a smart and strong plotline. Here it gets laughs, but feels like an extended sketch.

The second half is also sketchy, but there are funny moments and it’s nice to see Norman again. The “Nobody’s dead” stuff is a little overused, but it’s still a cool section. I don’t think the Hollister scene works as well, but I wasn’t a fan of the character in Series VIII either.

It would have been nice if there could have been a bit more heart and soul to the ending, as it all seems a little meh.

A quite enjoy this episode, but would have preferred it if it didn't recycle so many old ideas.

5/10.

17. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

Interesting, for me, Part II always feels as the worst of them. Most of the jokes on Earth are slightly embarassing, just the contact between "these weird space people" and normal people from 21st century. Although I enjoyed some lines like Rimmer's remark about TV shows.

The conversation on bus is for me one of the worst moments of RD. It feels awkward. I suppose this should be the emotional moment of the episode, but it absolutely fails to deliver this feeling.

18. BruceFivesyth

Absolutely, it's definitely awkward. I'm probably generous towards it simply because I expect child actors to be a little awkward.

I don't find it emotional, but I think the other two Kochanski moments are two of the only ones that work in the specials. So having a Kochanski reference here at least provides a link.

To be honest though, I really don't think these specials have aged well. In a poll of a couple of years ago they were ranked lower than almost everything apart from the Series VIII episodes which seems fair.

19. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Waiting for God.

Regularly voted the weakest episode of the first 6 series, it certainly has one of the lesser stories. The whole Cat Priest idea is fairly dull and Noel Coleman was given a thankless task.

The b-plot of the QUAGAARS is much more entertaining though and there are many fine Lister/Rimmer moments. The character stuff in this first series provided the foundations that the show is still built on 30+ years on.

There are also quite a few funny lines such as “Working class kid makes good”, “That Pus-head Hollister” and “My father was a jelly brain?”

I enjoy it more than one or two other Rob and Doug episodes.

7/10.

UltraDevotee likes this.
  20. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Identity Within.

I think this was a great DVD extra to have and, as it probably led to the Bodysnatcher recording, I’m very glad that it was included.

Judged on its own merits though, it’s just not a good script and it’s not Red Dwarf. John McKay has said that Doug felt that he wasn’t taking Red Dwarf seriously and I think this would have needed a lot more work to turn it into a genuine episode.

The whole idea of the Cat needing to have sex in order to survive doesn’t seem to fit and the script is almost entirely devoid of laughs. Some of the dialog is desperately weak:

“I’ve seen better teamwork in the Welsh crochet squad.”
    “You’re marginally less liquid than a packet of Cup-a-Soup.”

A nice voice performance by Chris Barrie though…

3/10.