Last RD ep. you watched recently

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sanja, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Jape of The Decade

Jape of The Decade First Technician

Skipper has to be my favourite of XII simply for the effort they put in. It does feel like watching the 30th anniversary special and have would have served well as a final ever episode.

I do wish they had kept Holly's reveal as a secret. It would have been such a splendid moment had they kept it a surprise. It renders Dougs 'No spoilers' policy pointless when they throw it out there in a trailer and online to real audiences in...

''Skipper'' being a strange choice in title, with a plot about Rimmer travelling dimensions seeming awfully familiar and no mention of Ace at all... its a series so heavy on callbacks but nobody seem to remember him.

I've often wandered when watching this episode how it would have gone if Lister had used the Skipper instead of Rimmer, after all, Rimmer has already had his chance, twice.. I think "Nobody's dead Dave" could have been a better payoff.

Listers line "I'm the last human being in this universe. I can't leave. I have responsubilities" isn't convincing. Remember how desperate he was in Time Slides to change the past and find a new reality?

It's just an idea but had it been a Lister adventure instead where he finds everything he's ever wanted and then realises he is happier in his own reality with Kyrten Rimmer and the cat. I just feel the episode might have worked better. Especially given it could have been the series final.

The Hollister scene did make me smile. I knew there was another old cast member returning but I was very much hoping it was going to be somebody else...

7/10 :-)

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  2. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

Like I said in my review a few weeks ago, I really love this episode and honestly think it is Rob and Doug still very much at the peak of their powers writing my personal favourite series. It's underrated by some fans as merely fan service but IMHO it is a brilliant sequel to Polymorph with so much going on and therefore I am glad you rated it 8/10.

3. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Do you agree with @neilold ’s list of forum friends?

Nikki the Great likes this.
  4. Jape of The Decade

Jape of The Decade First Technician

Nikki the Great and Ant E like this.
  5. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

[​IMG]

Nikki the Great and Asclepius like this.
  6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Lucky you.

Nikki the Great and Asclepius like this.
  7. BruceFivesyth

BruceFivesyth First Technician

That's an interesting idea and I think if it had been Lister, the episode might have had more heart.

I understand them going for the pure comedy of using Rimmer, but I generally prefer it when the show attempts the more dramatic.

Jape of The Decade likes this.
  8. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Bodysnatcher.

This is probably still my favourite “new” piece of Dwarf since 1993…

Chris Barrie did a phenomenal job, and with just his voice and the simple storyboards it actually feels like Series I again.

It’s full of great character moments and it’s pretty amazing that Rob and Doug used so little of the material in other episodes.

It was also a fine idea, as Rob says in the commentary, to include a mystery element when there are only two people on board.

As this would have to have been the second episode, it probably was right to jettison it simply because Future Echoes was so strong. And some of the ideas here were also later used in Me2.

The last few minutes were completed by Rob and Doug via email for the DVD release, and I think you can see the join. The idea of Rimmer alphabetizing everything and putting a fire extinguisher in the fridge doesn’t feel like Series I at all. More like Series VII…

The use of so many machines is interesting and I wonder whether completing this script put into Doug’s mind, consciously or unconsciously, the idea of using them a lot more during the Dave era.

8/10.

9. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

You inspired me to watch this too. I agree with you. It's apparent Doug wasn't involved in writing this. It simply isn't Red Dwarf. It would be also very difficult to shoot.

BruceFivesyth likes this.
  10. Asclepius

It wasn't their fault. Norman was happily spoiling the news the almost everyone he met, so most of the fans already knew it and it would be a hypocrisy if they pretended it's a secret.

11. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Fathers and Suns.

Rebecca Blackstone does a very fine job as Pree and it makes a big difference to have a guest actor playing it straight and not overacting. The concept of the character – a computer that can see the future – is very similar to Cassandra, and inevitably the rhythm of her interactions with the Dwarfers is also reminiscent of that episode. Pree is still one of my favourite guest characters of the Dave era though…

The plot of Lister talking to himself is interesting, but unfortunately I hate the idea of him being his own father so these sections were never exactly aimed at me.

Those two ideas should have been more than enough to carry the episode, but unfortunately Doug had to cram in all of the machine subplots. Now the Medi-bot (though annoying) does serve some purpose to the conclusion of the story, but the Chinese Whispers idea clearly failed.

It might have worked as part of a sketch show, but it feels crowbarred into Red Dwarf and it offended a lot of people. I actually think that the idea (a conversation about not being racist which involves the participants unintentionally using every stereotype in the book) could be quite funny, but it would need to be handled with a lot more dexterity than this.

The lack of a budget is really evident at the conclusion as Doug mentions in the DVD documentary. The garbage machines are far too small to be threatening (Lister could just have sidestepped them), and the characters don’t look remotely close to being crushed. It all looks cheap and rushed…because it was. :-)

5/10.

12. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Ouroboros.

It’s interesting to me that initially the idea was for Doug himself to come up with the basic plots for only two episodes of Series VII. Unfortunately the logic of Tikka to Ride completely contradicted itself and I can’t say that I like the idea of Lister being his own father either, as the whole concept goes against my image of what he should be.

I think the point of Lister is to be the antithesis of the heroic characters that you often see in Sci-fi and giving him such a high-falutin back story doesn’t fit with that. Doug said that, “Lister was never going to have a normal father”, but the unused script snippet on the Bodysnatcher set shows that his and Rob’s original idea was very normal indeed. And I think the extremely dark explanation for how his father could leave Lister under a pool table is funnier than anything in this episode:

“I wanted to do the decent thing, I really did, but it just wasn’t possible to have you aborted because I was strapped for cash.” :lol:

I enjoy Kryten’s early line about giving Lister’s cap its “monthly scrape”, but it’s all downhill from there onwards.

A pedantic point, but the characterization feels slightly off from the beginning. When Kryten shows Lister the ridiculous clothes, he shouldn’t be so eager to put them on. If Kryten had to encourage him to try them on so that he could alter them later, it would have more authenticity and feel less forced.

Kochanski then makes an inauspicious entrance and (incorrectly) reusing the GELF speak smacks of desperation. Especially as it is so over the top which makes it less funny. The dodgy CG doesn’t help matters, although there are still some nice model shots here and there.

Robert’s jealous acting is a little painful, but scarily Doug later said that he loved Robert and Craig in the scene and that, “the acting between them had moved up to a new level.” That is the exact opposite of my opinion and the “Oh, make love to me you horny dude” line was a new low for the show.

Again, my pet peeve is the number of terrible “than” jokes that were being crammed in by this stage:
    “He must have been thicker than a ticket tout’s wad.”
    “That thing out there’s going faster than a copy of Hello in a nunnery.”
    “This from a man who’s had less sex than a lettuce.”

4/10.

13. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Stasis Leak.

It was only when watching this again recently that I noticed it slightly foreshadows much of what we would get in Series VIII. Don’t get me wrong it’s of a much higher quality, but the prank that Lister pulls on Rimmer at the start of the episode and Hollister wearing a chicken costume could easily be from the eighth run. The difference being that those scenes make some logical sense here and there is a strong plot to go with them.

I love several moments including Rimmer’s lemming anecdote, Morwenna Banks’ lift attendant (aided by the quality of Howard Goodall’s music) and Tony Hawks’ suitcase. Holly’s ZX81 story is also a classic and they should have taken him out on a watch more often.

The leak itself is a pretty inventive way of bringing back the original crew, and Rob and Doug did a fine job at this stage of including other characters while also making sure that the Dwarf world remained unpopulated.

8/10.

14. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Terrible ending though don’t you think?

15. BruceFivesyth

Nope, can't say that it's ever bothered me. I like the unusual nature of it and that they didn't try to end on a laugh.

16. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Pete – Part One.

This episode makes me think of Marooned…hear me out here. Marooned was written based on the suggestion from the effects team that they could do good snow. Pete was written based on the suggestion from Chris Veale that he could do a dinosaur. From the sublime to the ridiculous…

To play devil’s advocate, I don’t think including a dinosaur had to be terrible. Obviously it’s incredibly contrived, but if it had been used to create a threat that they had to overcome in an intelligent way, it wouldn’t have been so bad.

Paul Alexander’s (uncredited) idea of the time wand could have been interesting as well, but not in Series VIII where every episode feels like a spin-off.

The overacting from the main cast, Mac MacDonald and even the Skutters is painful and the plot is non-existent. It’s a series of unrelated sketches where the intelligence and subtlety that Dwarf is known for are entirely absent.

The basketball scene (basketball being a common prison punishment!) is a big set piece and must have cost a significant amount of money in terms of the extended cast, but it's atrocious.

3/10

17. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Pete – Part Two.

Scarily, Doug has said that Pete became a two-parter early on and the script for Earth was never written. If it had been a late rewrite, it might have been easier to forgive it.

The positives…Norman’s “You’re finished” gag is well-delivered and the delayed fight scene is a good idea that deserved to be in a better episode.

The negatives…the plot about a defecating dinosaur is awful and the whole thing is like a cartoon.

It also all feels very bitty in terms of Rimmer/Lister scene, Kryten/Kochanski scene, Rimmer/Lister scene etc.

The more I watch Series VIII, the more I realize just how little substance there is. There are none of the great character moments of the past.

3/10.

18. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Siliconia.

A nice gag in the opening scene about Lister’s laziness, but it is noticeable that the actors are not quite “there”. Chris and Danny both overact and Robert often seems to be trying to remember his lines. It was mentioned by people who attended these recordings that the cast made a lot of mistakes and the tempo and energy isn’t quite what it used to be.

The CLITORIS gag in Polymorph was fresh and new for Dwarf back in 1989. The GROPE gag in Red Dwarf VIII was a lame rewrite. To hear MILFs repeated again and again and again here is thoroughly depressing.

The concept of the cast members all becoming Kryten has been discussed for years and there are some interesting ideas here. Rimmer feeling more comfortable in this form, for example.

The execution of the episode feels wildly uneven though and needed a rewrite. Chris doing an impression of Robert feels jarring, James Buckley’s character appears far too late in the episode and then there is the clean off.

We are fully into Series VIII territory here and it’s very reminiscent of the basketball scene. Both big set pieces, both in big locations with extended casts and both do nothing to further the story. I can’t quite believe that they decided to spend the budget on this.

The ending is also anti-climactic and they tried to cram far too many story ideas into one episode.

Sorry to anyone who enjoys this episode, and I like some of Series XI and XII, but this is a mess.

3/10.

19. Asclepius

I agree Siliconia is a mess, and it has a lot of faults, but I'm quite surprised you gave it the same number of points as for Pete Part II, which is almost painfull experience for me.

20. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The Promised Land

I wasn't in the right headspace for a ninety minute episode of Red Dwarf when it first aired but I liked it a lot more this time round. However, I don't think this will be an episode that I will return to often.

Much of the humour fell flat but I did find some of it amusing. Still, I always laugh a lot more when watching BBC-era episodes - and that's even though I've already heard every line a dozen times. The emotional moments worked much better than the comedy, such as the sun and moon conversation and Cat showing genuine sadness at Rimmer apparently being killed.

A few other individual things stood out for me:
    • The return of Holly. Norman is always great, though he wasn't in the episode as much as I hoped.
    • The actor who played Rodon was very good.
    • Rimmer as the Mighty Light. Also, did Rimmer lose his voice sound effect when he became the Mighty Light the second time around?
    • The black and white Rimmer was a nice special effect. We finally got to see Rimmer as he was originally intended.
    • "The promised land is not a planet, it's a place in your heart" was a nice sentiment.
    • The cats now worshipping Rimmer was a great way to end.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Asclepius likes this.