Last RD ep. you watched recently

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sanja, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I thought Gary Martin was great. It's his loud and over-the-top performance that makes the Epideme character stand out so much. I don't think a subtler performance would have been right for this character. It's a good episode - one of my favourites from season VII. My only problem with the episode is the cop out 'to be continued' caption that appears right at the end, which is just there to assure us that Lister is going to get his severed arm back.

UltraDevotee likes this.
  2. BruceFivesyth

BruceFivesyth First Technician

That's why I said he divides opinion. :-)

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I know. And I was giving you my opinion.

4. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Nanarchy.

As this is the only episode thus far to have 3 credited writers, it’s probably no surprise that it’s a bit of a dog’s dinner…

Many of the scenes feel like sketches and they are often long. Very long. There are moments of amusement, and I enjoy some of the Cat’s insensitivity towards Lister’s disability, but there should have been a lot of editing.

It’s nice to see Norman returning to the show, but even he has admitted that he struggled in this scene without an audience. This is probably his worst performance…with the possible exception of the remastered stuff.

Special mention must be made of the CG shots which are atrocious in places. I don't particularly blame Chris Veale as he was working with very little money, but they look so much less convincing than any model shots.

The plot itself is a mess and the idea of the nanobots resurrecting the ship is both clunky and impenetrable. The fact that we later learn that they have (disastrously) resurrected the crew doesn’t exactly make the final scenes more appealing.

4/10.

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I don't hate this episode but it's a below average one for me, and I think you've articulated well the things I like and dislike about it. My biggest disappointment is the reason we get for Red Dwarf going missing. After making the fans spend two seasons wondering what happened to Red Dwarf the explanation we get with the nanobots is terrible. And as for the CGI, the last time I was doing a full Red Dwarf rewatch I do remember commenting on the forum about how awful it was in seasons VII and VIII. I recall comparing it unfavourably to the GGI in Babylon 5.

Jape of The Decade likes this.
  6. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

When I originally viewed this episode on VHS back in 1994, I would probably agree that it was an 8/10 - very good but not top Dwarf. But ever since 2003 when I watched it on one of the digital channels I honestly think it is Rob and Doug in peak performance and full marks.

7. UltraDevotee

Like I said a few weeks back, Epideme is the only episode in series 7 after Rimmer leaves that is classic Dwarf. IMHO, Gary Martin's over the top manner is what makes his performance so distinctive.

8. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

I thought it was good until she turned into a blob! The ending was pretty forgettable

9. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Future Echoes.

One of the strongest episodes of the show and one of the best sci-fi concepts.

When I first watched this as a kid (probably during the first repeat run), I was really sucked in by the story and the whole premise. The deja-vu scene seemed genius at the time and still seems genius now.

There’s lots of great character stuff at the same time and Rimmer is at his best/worst. His description of Lister as a “pregnant baboon-bellied space beatnik” is a nicely unpleasant way to start the episode. And I enjoy his sadism at seeing Lister’s supposed death.

Although the show was pretty much a two-hander at this point, Holly and the Cat provide some important comedy diversions. Even John Lenahan’s toaster makes one or two nice contributions.

An obvious 10/10.

Ant E likes this.
  10. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

And the inspiration behind Doctor Who episode “Blink” I’m certain!

11. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Queeg.

Probably the funniest episode from the first two series, this makes me wonder how Holly could have developed if Norman had remained with the show.

So many memorable scenes including Craig’s stunt, Holly forgetting that a meteorite is about to hit the ship and the chess showdown. Some fine physical comedy from Chris Barrie, too.

It’s also interesting that some genuinely funny moments such as Rimmer naming his scout mistress don’t get laughs at all. It’s disconcerting when you compare it with the reactions from more recent audiences.

The conclusion now seems pretty perfect, and it’s hard to believe that Rob and Doug came up with it as an afterthought. In terms of laughs per second, Holly’s reveal that it was all a joke must be pretty much unrivalled.

A high 9/10.

12. Jape of The Decade

Jape of The Decade First Technician

I'm not sure I agree. Having various historical figures bought back as wax droids fighting a pointless war on a planet 3 million years into the future is very Sci-fi.
    This was the main problem with the episode, it perhaps looked better on paper than it did on screen and I think they were just unlucky with their location. And I can understand what people think it's a bit gimmicky.

It wasn't my favourite episode growing up but I've really come to appreciate it over the years. The choice of historical characters, the dialogue between them, Rimmer going power crazy and Lister trying to be the voice of reason. Ghandi doing hand to hand combat with a nun and shooting Winnie the Poo...

I think it's a great episode with a strong concept, some great writing/acting and possibly the only episode of RD to have hit such a political tone..

7/10 :-)

UltraDevotee likes this.
  13. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

I like Meltdown. The shots of some Japanese monsters are of course crap, but the storyline is very strong. Rimmer finally having opportunity to show his military skills and going absolutely nuts. Their interactions with the wax droids are some of the most memorable moments from entire RD.

14. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Demons and Angels.

Rob and Doug believed this was the weakest episode of the Series V and I have always felt the same. The original title of High & Low would have been fitting, as the first half of the episode is significantly stronger than the second.

The opening is fast-paced, funny and dramatic. The triplicator plot is coherently established and the shot of Red Dwarf exploding is superb.

Boarding the high ship maintains the high standards due to Chris’s performance as the high Rimmer, Craig being surprisingly good and making full use of Danny’s dancing skills. I also enjoy Rimmer’s dismissive, “What a pair of losers!” :-)

Things start to fall apart when we visit the low ship. The energy drags and it doesn’t feel like there’s any peril. That’s probably partly down to the writing and partly down to Juliet May’s direction.

The issues with the direction can also be witnessed in the deleted scene of the fight between the controlled Lister and the Cat. The camera was placed in slightly the wrong position, so Craig’s head blocks us from seeing Danny’s face while the latter is delivering his lines. No surprise that they chose to reshoot that.

Still a good piece of TV, but not quite up to the usual level of the show during this era.

7/10.

15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I love Demons and Angels and it's up there with my favourite episodes of all time. It does go strangely dark at times, such as Lister eating a tarantula and High Lister getting stabbed to death, both of which are very unDwarfy, but it's still a great episode. And the cast have a lot of fun playing the alternate versions of their characters.

UltraDevotee likes this.
  16. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

I love it too, although I understand the reasons why it isn't very popular, but the concept of destroying Red Dwarf and then having to visit its two hilariously insane replicas is just great.

UltraDevotee likes this.
  17. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Lemons.

I think Series X has been overshadowed by quite a bit of what has come since, but this is one of the stronger episodes.

Having said that, it starts pretty weakly with many ideas that have been done to death. Crazy golf is a throwback to Polymorph (but much less funny), the “Listy, you’re up!” line is a rewrite of a Series VI gag and references to Lister’s socks and Kryten cleaning were so old and tired even back then.

And the Shakespeare scene is just painful and he is only mentioned for a couple of pointless call backs. Chris’s acting wasn’t at its best during this series and the Shakespeare rant might be Rimmer’s worst ever moment.

Things pick up when the crew travel to Earth and there are some good ideas. I like the concept of them needing to find lemons and maybe something more could have been made of that. The use of the map is a bit of a cop-out and I wish that they’d landed slightly closer to India and the whole idea was more plausible. The quest for the lemons might have ended up being an interesting part of the story.

Considering the budget restrictions, it’s very impressive that they built the sets and brought in so many extras. The ambition is something to be applauded and it is a very different episode to most sitcoms.

I can’t say that I really enjoy the performance by James Baxter and I would probably enjoy things a lot more if I could.

5/10.

18. UltraDevotee

I agree with most of your interesting, nicely written thoughts about Future Echoes and Queeg, but my ratings for the two are swapped - IMHO, the former is a 9 and the latter is a 10. Future Echoes showed the way while Queeg is the top episode of series 2 and one of the finest ever.

19. UltraDevotee

I adore Demons and Angels too and a few weeks ago it was absolutely one of my favourite episodes to re-watch. I can see why a few fans may not be keen as it is probably the most depraved episode of RD ever, but somehow the humour still remains magnificent which only goes to show how skilled Rob and Doug were to meld comedy and horror together.

20. UltraDevotee

I honestly think Lemons is the 2nd best show of series 10 and a 9/10, but I am glad you have at least mentioned how it is one of the stronger episodes. Possibly I would agree though that the Shakespeare bit is not one of the finest moments of 10 and a bit out of character when you consider Rimmer's upset towards the literary books (one King Lear I think) being burnt in Marooned.