Last RD ep. you watched recently

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sanja, Aug 10, 2010.

1. BruceFivesyth

BruceFivesyth First Technician

My thoughts on Red Dwarf Radio Show: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers Part Five.

The first half of this instalment contains a lot of material from the Kryten TV episode and it’s chiefly of interest for hearing Chris Barrie doing an impression of Robert Llewellyn reading the lines that were actually performed by David Ross. Pretty weird to listen to.

An awful lot of material has then been cut including Rimmer’s arguing with himself and Lister mining for Uranium. It means that we get a brief description of a duality jump before we are suddenly transported to Bedford Falls. It’s rather a jarring change and must be fairly confusing for anyone who has never read the book before.

An intriguing end to the episode though with Lister and Rimmer seemingly back on Earth…

7/10.

2. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Trojan.

In an old interview on this website Doug mentioned his fondness for Phoenix Nights and, whether coincidentally or not, the teleshopping subplot to this episode could have been taken straight from that show. The difference being that it was perfectly natural for the characters in the Phoenix to be watching shopping channels each episode, whereas it doesn’t really fit for Dwarf. The implication here is that the universe is now populated with millions of sentient beings which goes against much of the show’s history. As others have commented, the whole premise of these channels keeping customers waiting doesn’t actually ring true either. And as Craig’s and Robert’s acting is very hammy at times, I find this section of the story to be a bit of a disaster.

It’s a shame as the whole Howard plotline ought to have been strong enough to carry the episode by itself. He doesn’t appear until far too late and that was something of a missed opportunity. There are some funny ideas when he does appear and, even though it is all played far broader than I would have liked, I can see some merit to it. Susan Earl is also underused.

4/10.

3. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Terrorform.

The opening to this episode must be one of the most innovative in the show’s history. A bold move to begin with Kryten alone and talking to himself, and it succeeds in being both funny and having an element of mystery at the same time.

The “taranshula” scene is an absolute classic and a genius piece of writing. There may have been some issues with the editing (according to Doug in the DVD documentary), but you would never know it from the finished product.

The scenes on the psi-moon represent some of the best location shooting up to this point and the production standards are generally very high. It was probably a smart move not to focus too much on the monster though.

Again, there is only one basic plot idea and that is one of the strengths of this era. I re-watched a little of Rob’s The Strangerers recently and that suffered from having only 4 or 5 plot ideas stretched across a long series. Doug’s solo episodes sometimes suffer from having 4 or 5 plot ideas in one episode! One of the many reasons why they worked so much better as a team.

A high 9/10.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    UltraDevotee likes this.
  4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Terrorform is great - a wonderful and typically dark season V episode with another imaginative storyline (I think season V shows Rob and Doug's writing at its best) that's full of great lines and moments. There's a fantastically brooding atmosphere - it's perhaps Red Dwarf's most atmospheric episode. It just shows what can be achieved if things are done right. Just one season earlier we had Meltdown, which completely failed to convince that it was set in some futuristic wax droid theme park. But Terrorform actually manages to look and feel like a nightmarish psi-moon.

I'm going to have to get round to rewatching the whole of Red Dwarf in the coming months and give my reviews of each episode in this thread (again). But this time I really do think that I'm going to skip past season VIII.

BruceFivesyth likes this.
  5. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Legion.

I would describe this episode as an all-out comedy. It might be the funniest ever due to the likes of the anti-matter chopsticks scene, the red alert bulb gag and perhaps the best space corp directive joke of all.

According to Director Andy de Emmony, Rob Grant came up with the “You’ve got a longer yellow streak than a stampeding herd of diarrhetic camels” line on the spot. Pretty impressive and more evidence that Rob was the one who was a little grimmer and grungier (don't get me wrong, Doug was equally crucial to the partnership). I may just have mentioned it before, but I think it was a mistake for them to continue to try to do the “than” jokes in Series VII. Especially as the later jokes had nowhere near as much bite.

The actual meeting with Legion is chiefly of interest for Rimmer becoming hard light. Aside from that, I don’t feel too much tension or drama in the plot. And Series VI, much as I enjoy it, does suffer a little from the generic structure of the episodes… Plenty of gags on Starbug, they meet a creature who wants to kill them, things turn out ok in the end…

A low 9/10.

6. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

I never get this high praise for Rob Grant over Doug Naylor. If he’s so brilliant, what’s done since?

7. BruceFivesyth

As I stated in my previous post, "don't get me wrong, Doug was equally crucial to the partnership".

8. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Ok :evil:

9. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Red Dwarf Radio Show: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers Part Six.

A truncated look at perhaps the most interesting section of the book, as it isn’t primarily based on anything from the TV series. It’s the sort of idea that they could never have the budget to film, so ought to have been perfect for the book universe.

Rimmer’s marriage to Juanita feels a little like The Man With Two Brains (no bad thing) and gives more insight into his warped mind.

While Lister’s experience of spending time in his It’s a Wonderful Life-inspired world adds a little depth to his character. Inevitably though, you feel that a huge amount was cut for this abridged version and some of the heart and soul is missing.

6/10.

10. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Currently awaiting a visit from a tree surgeon

Nikki the Great likes this.
  11. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Blue.

Oh Kryten, what became of thee…

The biggest issue I have with this ep is just how annoying that he’d become with his constant whinging about salad cream and Kochanski’s laundry. Like many people I’ve probably been harsh about Chloe Annett in the past, but she was on a hiding to nothing and can’t really be blamed for Series VII’s faults. The character dynamics were all thrown off course at this point and nobody could have replaced Rimmer successfully.

I think it’s fair to say that Kim Fuller was the main writer of Blue, but that Doug added some gags and altered some of the character stuff in Starbug. I presume he came up with the Parker Knoll joke, as on the Bodysnatcher DVD he and Rob talk about their mate Steve genuinely using a chair to practice removing a bra.

Despite some negatives, this is still one of the strongest eps from Series VII. I recall at school that my friends talked positively about the Munchkin song the day after it was broadcast, and it is rightly one of the most iconic moments from the post-classic era. A fine idea from Kim Fuller and a brilliant execution from Ed.

There are very few deleted scenes from this ep on the DVD which seems to indicate that it was one of the tightest plotted. There are a few Chris Barrie deleted scenes from the Rimmer Experience that they could have used though, and as Chris was available for such a short time it’s a shame that we could have seen more of him.

A low 6/10.

12. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

:proud::proud::proud:

Ant E and Nikki the Great like this.
  13. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

:uhoh:

14. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Krysis.

I think this might just be the most vanilla episode in the history of the show. There’s not much that’s particularly bad about it, but there’s not much that’s particularly great either.

The biggest plus for me is the performance of Dominic Coleman as Butler. He is subtle and naturalistic and, perhaps partly because of this, the rest of the cast are generally not too over the top either.

The biggest minus is the lack of genuine laughs and that two of the jokes feel far too familiar to me. Rimmer’s The Best of Mozart moment is too similar to Alan Partridge’s The Best of The Beatles joke. And the “Maaaah” scene immediately reminded me of Frasier’s ‘Flour Child’ episode. Niles advises to pronounce with the “Back of the throat” whereas Butler says “It’s in the throat”, but they are both the exact same idea. The Frasier moment can be seen here about 1 minute in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puJjkuQQF9M

The world again feels very populated with not only Butler, but also the GELFs and the conversational Universe. As others have commented, one or two of those ideas might have demanded an episode to themselves.

The “love” resolution is acceptable if not exactly original or ground-breaking, but the final reveal that all had been planned by Butler is more impressive.

Oh, and I didn’t mention Kryten’s red costume. That section is all a bit crap.

5/10.

15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I think I'm worth at least a 7.5 out of ten.

16. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

Funnily enough this is the only episode for me personally in the RD glory days of series 2-6 that does not get full marks (10/10). But you know what, it still got an excellent 9/10 rating from me some weeks ago and you have highlighted all the best bits like the Kryten opening scene and taranshula gag. Another aspect that I am glad you drew attention to is the visuals. Although Meltdown's did indeed look a bit tacky - though it was for me still effective enough - Terrorform's really (like Bluey said too) did show off the true potential in this department for RD and the swamp scenes are some of the finest bits of the Blu-ray box set's upscales.

Perhaps the pay off is slightly rushed, a bit forced and maybe slightly too silly but it is still a decent way to round off the episode. Terrorform may be the least great episode IMHO of my favourite 5 RD series but that's what it is...it is still great.

17. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

I'm glad you do not think this one is bad. It's definitely not classic Dwarf - apart from the Munchkin song - but I think it is pretty good overall and one of the most humorous of the 1997 shows. It's a bit sketch show-like due to the flashbacks but it does work sufficiently too at the same time as an overall story. Some weeks ago I gave it 7.5/10 I think.

18. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Holoship.

The opening scene to this ep - with the crew watching the fictitious romantic film – is absolutely fine and reintroduces the characters, but it feels a little Dwarf-by-numbers.

The episode really comes to life when Jane Horrocks and then Don Warrington appear. Both perfectly cast and both quality actors. Cool to see Lucy Briers in an early role as well, but the other guest actors aren’t quite so impressive. Matthew Marsh is very hammy as Captain Platini (even more so in the deleted scenes) and Jane Montgomery’s Russian accent doesn’t exactly come across as authentic.

The whole mind patch idea is genius and Chris plays it perfectly. It’s also quite effectively handled in terms of Rimmer becoming intelligent and then reverting back to his usual self.

I enjoy his romance with Nirvanah Crane, but it’s a shame that so many scenes were left on the cutting room floor. There is an abrupt edit when they are on the bed together which means that we lose some of the emotional impact.

Nice that Rimmer both utters a corny line at the end of the episode, but also acknowledges it. The show’s self-awareness was top notch at this point.

9/10.

19. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Give and Take.

In terms of structure, this feels like an attempt to go back to something similar to Series VI.

The most successful part of the ep imo is the section where they meet both Snacky and Asclepius. Quality sets, the humour comes quite naturally from the plot and there is a fair sense of drama.

There’s also some strong split screen stuff featuring the two Listers and Doug obviously learned a lot from all those years of working with Ed.

The low points are the character moments which all feel a little off to me. Rimmer’s childhood traumas about his teddy bear and crayons are very lazy, the conversation with the lift at the start is tedious and the crew’s interactions are generally a lot less funny than they used to be. Considering the seriousness of the plot and that Lister’s life is supposedly in danger, I also wish the cast could have given slightly more naturalistic performances. It would have helped to add a lot more tension.

The time travel element and the kidney transplant plot are ideas that aren’t as clever as they think they are. The whole Snacky becoming a genius thing is a massive stretch (and , as others have commented, where is he now?), and the medical procedures are very serious and oughtn’t to be casually inserted into one ep before being promptly forgotten about imo. To be fair, I have personal reasons for feeling like that, so I understand why some would disagree.

The very final shot really should have been reedited to give it a longer fade as it ends far too abruptly.

A low 6/10.

20. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

Ant E likes this.