Last RD ep. you watched recently

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sanja, Aug 10, 2010.

1. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

I agree with the thought that it is a shame so much had to be cut. Holoship is absolutely perfect to me still but the excised scenes were all pretty good I think I remember from watching them a number of years ago now. So although it is completely classic still, this is one of those RD episodes that could have done with having an extended length/version as those removed scenes could have made the story a bit even more fuller and sensational.

BruceFivesyth likes this.
  2. BruceFivesyth

BruceFivesyth First Technician

My thoughts on The End.

It’s difficult for me to rate this episode subjectively and I presume that’s the same for many other fans. It is (obviously) crucially important within the show, but I’m not blind to its faults. The sets look dodgy, some of the acting is a little weak and there are sections without enough jokes.

It does set up the whole premise very well though, and by the end of it you have a real sense of the four characters and what their situation is. It also has some iconic moments such as the “Everybody’s dead, Dave” scene, and the line “as dead as a can of spam” is one that I have repeated more times than I care to remember.

Chris and Norman were pretty much perfect from the beginning, Craig was quite good and Danny was also spot on in a very tough role. Just how tough it is was shown when they couldn’t find anyone to match him in the American version.

The most impressive thing is probably that so much of what goes on couldn’t be seen in any other sitcom at the time and could only happen in Dwarf.

8/10.

UltraDevotee likes this.
  3. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Can you review Ace Rimmer a life in lame?

Asclepius likes this.
  4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

0/10

Ant E likes this.
  5. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

That's too harsh. I've seen it just once and it was terrible, but I would give it at least 1/10 as it was the last appearance of Hattie as Holly.

Ant E likes this.
  6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

But Hattie, I seem to remember, was pretty awful in this. Not that I was ever a fan of hers as Holly anyway.

Ant E likes this.
  7. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

I’m just being spiteful because @Andy Wrote it

8. Asclepius

I've watched it again and it was still terrible. Hattie is trying hard to recapture her Holly, but the writing is really weak. We should be happy @Andrew is just a script editor tbh.

They didn't even shot enough material with Hattie, so sometimes there's just archive "What a guy!" line between scenes. It also lacks any ending.

1/10

Ant E likes this.
  9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'll admit that I haven't watched it a second time since I bought the DVD all those years ago. Actually, just how many years have passed since the DVD came out? It must be more than 10 years now since its release. If I remember I will give it another watch later on just to see if my 0 out of 10 score was justified or if my memory is playing tricks with me. Maybe it was a work of comedy genius that I just didn't understand at the time, but I'm not hopeful.

Ant E likes this.
  10. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

:lol::lol::lol:

11. BruceFivesyth

I can't review A Life in Lame, as I can't get all the way through it and it's probably the worst inclusion on the otherwise superb DVDs. I will though post...

My thoughts on Red Christmas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vS7TglXVFg

The whole idea of the mobisodes never really clicked with me, as they seemed to be mostly the same old jokes but now with really poor visuals. I suppose that this was something different and, at the time, it was the first new Dwarf that Doug had penned for years.

It's one of the oddest things that has even been issued under the show's name, and I'm not entirely sure what was running through Doug's mind. I will be generous and assume that it was intended as simply a winter warmer, but the crew playing charades with a few reindeer is something that I never thought I'd see.

I quite enjoy Chris's delivery of the word "Aliens", but that is about as good as this gets for me.

2/10.

12. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Confidence and Paranoia.

Re-watching this episode now, I realise just how inventive it is and just how many great bits there are.

Some of my favourite moments include the quality of the dust storm shot, Howard Goodall’s scoring of the space walk scene, Rimmer practicing necrobics and obviously Stabbim the Skutter.

This must be one of Danny’s strongest early eps as well, and he shows what a fine physical performer he is in the scene where Rimmer asks him to leave his food to help Lister. As I’ve never owned a cat, some of the comedy of the character is occasionally lost on me but the later scene where he brings Lister fruit and then feels hurt by Rimmer’s comments is similarly impressive.

The actual plot itself is a really smart idea and more interesting than some of the simple ‘Monster of the week’ eps that came later. That’s not to really criticize Series VI as it was packed with comedy and the production values had moved on so much by that point, but the universe becoming more populated meant that the show also lost something. Rob and Doug really had to use their imaginations for eps like this and Thanks For the Memory, and you learn so much about the characters at the same time.

Underrated and a low 9/10.

Jape of The Decade likes this.
  13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Well I just had a rewatch of Ace Rimmer: A Life In Lame and I'm afraid that my rating of 0 out of ten needs amending. Instead I'd like to give it a -5 out of ten.

Also, I just Googled the term 'a life in lame' and one of the results read, "These include the frankly appalling Ace Rimmmer: a life in lame, the dreadful Can't Smeg, Won't Smeg..." and something about the writing style seemed familiar. Sure enough, it was our own @Ant E talking about the best and worst DVD features in 2014.

https://www.reddwarf.co.uk/forum/threads/best-worst-dvd-features.5412/

Ant E likes this.
  14. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

15. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Krytie TV.

Some people nominate this as the worst Dwarf ever and I can understand why, to some extent. There are rather dated jokes, even back then, about Australian soap stars and Reader’s Digest. But that’s nothing compared with how dated the overall concept is of a Beadle’s About parody. The plot is about as far away from the classic series as it’s possible to get, and would have been more suited to dozens of other sitcoms.

If I detach my brain and treat this as a different show, it’s not all that bad though. I can smile at some of the gags such as “Post’s arrived”, “You’re better off with ointment” and even Lister trimming his pubes. Chris’s timing also sells the “Those are mine”, “Those are mine” and “Have you been going through my things?” joke.

I wouldn’t personally use the word “sexist” to describe Krytie TV, but I can understand why some people do. Kryten having been classified as a woman was very lazy writing in the first place, and to have him filming the women naked isn’t exactly one of the proudest moments in the show’s history.

Moderately entertaining in a mindless way and 5/10.

16. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Me2.

The very existence of this episode shows to me one of the reasons why Rob and Doug were so much stronger as a team than apart. It was Rob who had the idea to do an episode featuring two Rimmers instead of having Kochanski return, and it was Doug who had the energy to ensure that they wrote it. It’s a shame that Bodysnatcher fell by the wayside, but this made for a fine series closer.

Chris and Craig were starting to really inhabit the characters by this point, they were also writing for Danny by having him roller skate and Norman is as funny as ever.

Rimmer was already the most interesting character and we get to learn plenty about his personal history and even his death (the use of the death video is a great idea).

A sign of things to come.

9/10.

17. Jape of The Decade

Jape of The Decade First Technician

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  18. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

I though those videos were rubbish

19. Jape of The Decade

Jape of The Decade First Technician

Yeah admittedly the pacing here is slower than the speed of dark and it harkens back to the early bunk scenes but considering none of the team were involved I didn't think they did a bad job with the voices/material etc.

Apart from brief mentions in Out of Time and Lemons the show has never touched Christmas. I'm glad of this!

The last thing anyone wants to see is "Red Dwarf : The Christmas Special"...

The crew meet Santa...

20. Asclepius

I watched it just once and I remember it was pretty terrible. I quite liked the offcial Christmas mobisode though. It wasn't Red Dwarf, it was just a cartoon, but Chris and Robert did a good job.