Last RD ep. you watched recently

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sanja, Aug 10, 2010.

1. BruceFivesyth

BruceFivesyth First Technician

Well, nobody wants to have the crew meet Santa (except in Meltdown)...

But we were promised a Christmas Special in 1994 and probably would have got one if Rob and Doug had not split up. That will always be one of the great 'What ifs'...

2. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on The Beginning.

I know that this ep is popular with some fans, but it features several of my least favourite aspects of recent Dwarf…

I really dislike the broadness of both Hogey and the Simulants, the retconning of Rimmer’s backstory and how much of a cliché Kryten had become by this point.

The Red Dwarf universe was also much more interesting when it was less populated, and I hate the idea of them now having wacky characters like Hogey popping in every now and then. The whole idea of the show is surely that they are alone in space.

The fan service stuff, such as the Cat playing with his string and the final “The slime’s coming home”, also irks me.

The cast members’ performances (particularly Chris and Robert’s) are notably stuttering at times. There are quite a few little fluffs that have been left in, probably due to time restraints.

The non-resolution to the Series VIII cliffhanger is possibly the highlight, but this episode comes close to the bottom of my list.

3/10.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Jape of The Decade likes this.
  3. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Blimey That’s harsh

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I think that's a fair enough review. I remember feeling pretty disappointed by The Beginning when it first aired on Dave after reading all the positive reactions on the forum by those who had gone to see the recording live. When the episode ended my reaction was just an underwhelmed "Oh, is that it?" I've never been all that fond of the episode when I've rewatched it either. But then it's been a few years since I last saw it and maybe I'll warm to it a bit when I see it again.

5. Jape of The Decade

Jape of The Decade First Technician

Well they've already met 'Jesus' so don't rule it out...

It would have been different back in 1994 the series was running at it's best with Rob/Doug creating greatly written stories so a festive special might not have been so bad.

My main problem with Christmas specials is the need to shoe horn Xmas into a good story. We've seen how badly this has worked with Doctor Who sometimes. It doesn't seem like a very Red Dwarf thing to do...

That being said it is a shame we never got that special in 1994 as I may have been pleasantly surprised.

6. Jape of The Decade

Jape of The Decade First Technician

Yeah I agree. A good review for that episode and sums up my feelings upon watching it.

Series X was very hit and miss. There was so much build up and excitement to that final episode and whilst I appreciate what they tried to do I was expecting so much more from an episode entitled "The Beginning".

The Simulant's death ship was pretty lame but they did improve their look in Twentica which was one of my favourite of the new shows.

Since the shows revival I can't help but feel Doug has been teasing us with titles, "Back to Earth", "The Beginning", "Skipper"...

Each making us think we are going in a certain direction when we are not.

BruceFivesyth and Bluey like this.
  7. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Officer Rimmer.

A couple of interesting ideas in this episode, but I think the reason I don’t love these Dave era episodes is that the dialogue and the general character stuff all feels a little old and overly familiar. It’s all…fine, but nothing more than that.

I appreciate Doug coming up with a new idea by incorporating a 3D printer, and the Captain is the sort of character that you don’t see in every sitcom. I’m not sure I entirely believe his being able to make Rimmer an officer though…

The concept of multiple Rimmers isn’t really explored in any detail and it’s all rather superficial. The barbershop quartet idea is an obvious attempt to replicate the success of the Munchkin song from Blue and, while it’s not quite as memorable, it’s still an amusing moment.

Another wacky voice from the female lift, and there is also a rather nasty edit towards the end as some dialogue between her and Rimmer has obviously been hastily added in the dub.

The ending is jarring and shows the budgetary restraints that operate nowadays. Even taking that into consideration though, they probably should have been able to think of a way of destroying the beast that would have looked better on screen.

5/10.

8. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

I'm pleased you don't hate this episode despite its rather dubious content at times. True, it is absolutely pure prison sitcom and devoid of any sci-fi, but it is one of my favourite episodes of series 8 and for me it is either a 9 or 10/10. In 1999 I thought it was highly comical and a very tight standout with a proper story (unlike the Pete two parter) and it remains so to me now.

9. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Do keep us updated?

10. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

If and when I get round to rewatching it I'll let everybody know what I thought of the episode. I might decided to rewatch the whole of Red Dwarf sometime in the future. But not right now as there are other things that I'm currently watching.

11. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Gunmen of the Apocalypse.

A genius piece of TV with just the right blend of sci-fi and comedy.

Denis Lill and Liz Hickling give the kind of straight-ahead villainous performances that you wish more guest actors had attempted to emulate over the years, the conclusion with the lava and Howard Goodall's music is superb and it might have more iconic moments than any other episode.

I was just a kid when this was first broadcast, but I still remember sitting on the floor to watch it and my enjoyment of the Vindaloovian Empire scene. Danny has one of his best episodes, as both Cat and The Riviera Kid, with Chris and Robert also getting plenty of laughs. Craig is probably right to complain that his knife man was not quite so memorable.

If I were to pick a small fault, the edit after "38 minutes" is too harsh and very noticeable.

10/10.

12. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

What edit is that?! Explain so I can have a look?!

13. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It occurs about a third of the way through the episode between Rimmer's and Kryten's lines:

RIMMER: Well if you define trouble as a rather large moon directly in our path, about 38 minutes.
    KRYTEN: Sir, the only solution is for me to contract the virus myself.

14. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

Oh yeah that is quite noticeable. Though I’ve been watching that episode regularly for 27 years and never noticed.

15. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Ah yes. If you watch the Smeg Up’s you’ll see why

16. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

It is noticable of you know about it. I probably wouldn't notice it normally. There are worse errors in RD.

(our good old @Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century once made a thread about them if I'm right)

17. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Asclepius likes this.
  18. BruceFivesyth

Oh sure, and it doesn't spoil the episode for me or anything like that.

It's just something that I noticed when watching repeats of the show on UK Gold, I think, and once seen it can't be unseen. :-)

19. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Thanks for the Memory.

I think I only have a couple of eps left to discuss, but I saved some of the best for last. I enjoyed listening to the quarantine commentary for this on Sunday and Rob is rightly very proud of it.

A really good exploration of the characters’ back stories, and a smart idea to include the mystery element. The look of the show still wasn’t quite right at this stage, although the location stuff is very good here, but the writing was becoming more imaginative and ambitious all the time.

It’s also kind of amazing that they successfully conveyed the idea of Lise Yates being the love of Lister’s life, despite the actress barely appearing on screen for any time at all.

The cast were at the top of their game at this point and successfully carry the long scenes, the comedy and the drama.

A high 9/10.

20. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

The best of series 2. Love how straight forward it is, yet a brilliant story.

Also, I’m sure you’ll disagree with this, but it’s one of the few eps that ended up BETTER on the Re-Mastered bunch