Last RD ep. you watched recently

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sanja, Aug 10, 2010.

1. BruceFivesyth

BruceFivesyth First Technician

You will have to remind me what the significant changes were for the Remastered?

2. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

It was great, I particulary enjoyed the guest appearance of @Seb.

3. Asclepius

Not really, running with Blue Midget, deleting the nice 'Observation dome' music theme, deleting the final animation with the jigsaw are some of my least favourite remastered changes.

There was also a great error when Rimmer is pointing Blue Midget's screen. The animation on the screen was replaced for Re-mastered and Rimmer's hand disappears behind it for a moment.

4. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

:sulk:

5. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

I liked the Blue Midget with legs!!

I agree about the observation dome music changing that was shocking - but the new "mystery" music when they found the gravestone was better.

His hand disappeared because he is a hologram!!!!!

For me, Thanks for the Memory, Kryten, Me2, Backwards and Polymorph (apart from the ending) were better than the originals. Otherwise, the originals were better.

6. Asclepius

I agree with Kryten, because the original ending was really lazy. For Backwards, I disliked the "tunnel" to the backwards universe, but at least they changed the horrible mega fish in the pond.

7. BruceFivesyth

The dubbing of Rimmer's mother was pretty tough to watch and listen to in Polymorph.

I can understand them trying to redo the ending for Kryten. It's unfortunate that the CG wasn't quite good enough for what they were attempting though.

The model shots and music should all have been left alone in the Remastered imo.

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes, what was the point of that? The creaky old voice of the original was an important part of the comedy in that scene. Replacing it with a more normal voice was completely pointless.

9. BruceFivesyth

My thoughts on Out of Time.

Considering this episode was still being rewritten as it was recorded, it is pretty amazing that it turned out as well as it did. It's a huge testament to Rob and Doug's ability that they could pull this off with no time and little money. You wonder how much the stresses of working in this way contributed to Rob deciding he didn't want to do it anymore though (not that I'm saying there weren't many other factors).

I don't think the first scene is them writing at their absolute best, but Chris was still in his prime as Rimmer at this point and it does nicely set out the desperate situation that they are in.

Much of the episode is made up of the rapid-fire comedy that is present throughout Series VI, but it's the conclusion that sets it apart.

Rimmer heroically destroying the time drive (which was clearly Rob and Doug's original plan) was a dramatic way for the classic era to end, and it's just a shame that they used the 'to be continued'. I tend to ignore the description at the start of Series VII, as it is so obviously poppycock. :-)

9/10.

10. BruceFivesyth

Purely for my own amusement (and to keep track of which eps I'd watched), here is a list of my faves.

Obviously I favour the classic era, and I admit that later Dwarf isn't really for me. There is some that I do think is good TV though such as Twentica, Stoke Me a Clipper, M-Corp etc. and I only give so many low ratings because I am comparing eps to the show in its prime.

If I were to include The Promised Land, it would be one of the highest from the Dave era.

1, Marooned – 10/10
    2, Back to Reality – 10/10
    3, Gunmen of the Apocalypse – 10/10
    4, Future Echoes – 10/10
    5, Polymorph – 10/10
    6, Dimension Jump – 10/10
    7, Timeslides – 10/10
    8, Queeg – 9/10
    9, Justice – 9/10
    10, Thanks for the Memory – 9/10
    11, The Last Day – 9/10
    12, Me2 – 9/10
    13, Out of Time – 9/10
    14, Quarantine – 9/10
    15, Terrorform – 9/10
    16, Backwards – 9/10
    17, Holoship – 9/10
    18, Psirens – 9/10
    19, The Inquisitor – 9/10
    20, Legion – 9/10
    21, Confidence and Paranoia – 9/10
    22, Better Than Life – 8/10
    23, Kryten – 8/10
    24, Stasis Leak – 8/10
    25, DNA – 8/10
    26, Camille – 8/10
    27, Parallel Universe – 8/10
    28, White Hole – 8/10
    29, The End – 8/10
    30, Rimmerworld – 8/10
    31, Emohawk – 8/10
    32, Meltdown – 8/10
    33, Balance of Power – 7/10
    34, Waiting for God – 7/10
    35, Bodyswap – 7/10
    36, Demons and Angels – 7/10
    37, Twentica – 7/10
    38, Stoke Me a Clipper – 6/10
    39, M-Corp – 6/10
    40, Blue – 6/10
    41, Cassandra – 6/10
    42, Give and Take – 6/10
    43, Back in the Red – Part One – 5/10
    44, Epideme – 5/10
    45, Krytie TV – 5/10
    46, Skipper – 5/10
    47, Fathers and Suns – 5/10
    48, Officer Rimmer – 5/10
    49, Krysis – 5/10
    50, Lemons – 5/10
    51, Tikka to Ride – 5/10
    52, Back to Earth – Part Two – 5/10
    53, Only the Good… – 4/10
    54, Back in the Red – Part Two – 4/10
    55, Trojan – 4/10
    56, Nanarchy – 4/10
    57, Duct Soup – 4/10
    58, Mechocracy – 4/10
    59, Ouroboros – 4/10
    60, Cured – 4/10
    61, Samsara – 4/10
    62, Can of Worms – 4/10
    63, Back to Earth – Part One – 4/10
    64, Entangled – 4/10
    65, Beyond a Joke – 3/10
    66, Pete – Part One – 3/10
    67, Back to Earth – Part Three – 3/10
    68, Back in the Red – Part Three – 3/10
    69, Siliconia – 3/10
    70, Pete – Part Two – 3/10
    71, Dear Dave – 3/10
    72, The Beginning – 3/10
    73, Timewave – 2/10

11. Asclepius

I've never watched the remastered episodes in English, so I didn't know about this. Pretty lame change (as was the supposed replacement for Gordon in BTL).

12. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

The bit you mention about the "38 minutes" edit I have never ever noticed before tbh, though whether I discern it when I next watch Gunmen of the Apocalypse whenever that may be I will have to see, now you have made me aware.

Series 6 episode 3 is simply mindblowing and phenomenally strong and I can see why in a recent twitter poll it finished in top position of all Red Dwarf episodes. I would probably say Back to Reality is still my favourite but sometimes - like in this year's Dwarfathon - I can't decide really.

BruceFivesyth likes this.
  13. Asclepius

Entangled

I used to like this, but now it felt truly terrible. The jokes seemed worse in English than in Czech. There was a lack of any major idea, everything was already done before.

Speaking of bad edits, look at the moment when Irene trips over the box. Not only the ending is terrible, I can't believe how could they let it go with this edit.

14. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I used to really like Entangled, but it's gone down a lot in my estimation since it was first broadcast. I think at the time it felt to me like a bit of a return to the Red Dwarf of old with its complex science fiction plot, but I've become less impressed over time.

I think it's the same with most of season X for me. I liked it at the time but it hasn't aged all that well in the years since it first appeared on TV.

15. UltraDevotee

Tikka to Ride Xtended, this afternoon.

I choose to watch the Xtended episode that was not remastered this time (although the CGI is better remastered) because I believe that was the one that was upscaled too along with the standard, unlike that 2005 then updated version of the episode originally released on the series 7 DVD. TBH, the somewhat weaker original CGI might even look better upscaled now than the remastered CGI because the latter remains in its original form with no treatments.

Well I reviewed this episode around 3 months ago and I still feel IMHO that it is the second best episode of the post-Rob Grant era. It is such a successfully ambitious and scintillating exploration of the Kennedy mystery. Although in one aspect it is possibly not as 100% as watertight in terms of the comedy as the late 1988 to 1993 heyday of the show, the plotting is easily up there with the adventure-type episodes from series 5-6. There are inconsistencies in that the time drive can suddenly transport them in space too and the Kennedy assassinating himself pay off contradicts the entertaining IMHO resolution to the series 6 cliffhanger from the beginning of the episode, but if you interpret them in the same way you view a Rob Grant co-written classic like Backwards then it is still top Dwarf. Also this episode displays the greatest effect of the shift to a more dramatic style back in the 1997 episodes as there is a real sense of pathos when Kennedy fades away.

In terms of the the Xtended material well I think it is mostly really good and gave the story time to breathe. While the first additional lines do not reach the heights of the Grant Naylor-era they are still pretty funny and with the usual 4 Dwarfers all being in the cockpit near the beginning it certainly has a feeling of and harks back to my favourite RD series which is the 1993 run. I also like the way it later states how what Kryten horrifically did to Eric would be changed back if Kennedy did die in addition to restoring history back to normal.

I don't hate the standard length episode's ending too much though it is too violent and cartoony, but the Xtended version is much superior. It is both very funny and has ingenuity in a Steven Moffat timey-wimey way and this is probably the additional material across all 4 of these series 7/8 shows that makes the most of the Xtended form IMHO. Also for some reason the picture quality of this upscale appears even better during this final scene.

IMHO, Tikka to Ride in both standard and Xtended form - despite the lack of a laughing track in the latter and failure to totally reach the humour of series 2-6 - are 10/10 classic Dwarf and a sensational restart after 3 and a half years away.

16. UltraDevotee

Ouroboros Xtended, this afternoon.

I remember I branded this episode a couple of months ago the joint-weakest RD show along with Pete Part I and Pete Part II. TBH, it is by RD's indomitable standards poor - the floss and crossbow pay off are too ridiculous and illogical even for RD as is the impossibility of fathering yourself which takes away the sci-fi from the show completely and moves it into pure fantasy. But even this RD offering from Doug does have something and I enjoyed it slightly more than back in April tbh - it's certainly diluted but there is still a bit of strong humour at times. There is not as much additional material in this as in the Tikka to Ride Xtended episode but the five minutes that are there are quite good, interesting and make it a bit fuller. But despite it being relatively weak compared to classic Dwarf, because I enjoyed it a tiny bit more I might award it 6.25/10 compared to 6/10 back in April. So Pete Part I and Part II with 6/10 each are back to being my least liked RD ever which is probably fairer.

17. UltraDevotee

Duct Soup Xtended, this afternoon.

Although I do not love this episode and see it as a bit of a poor man's Marooned in some aspects, I do like it however. The travelling around the ducts is entertaining and the riding the back wash pay off must have been fun to film. Again the humour is a bit wishy-washy but there are some pretty comical parts and bits of dialogue. Like Ouroboros, there is not too much extra material in this Xtended version (about a few minutes) but the extra scene near the end of the Dwarfers' journey through the ducts while not of the same level in terms of humour as the rest of the episode (i.e. you could see why it was cut) is still quite amusing, interesting and makes Duct Soup feel more complete. Overall, while this is definitely not vintage Dwarf it is a good effort from Doug (7/10) but the upscale is only fine in quality as opposed to great.

18. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

I didn't watch any red dwarf but I did watch an episode of Quantum Leap

In this episode Sam leaped into a erotic dancer to help some deaf lady not become a prostitute and get AIDS. So he got her a dance audition or something.

Nikki the Great likes this.
  19. UltraDevotee

Back in the Red Xtended, this afternoon.

TBH, I was not really in the right mood for this today, but I still enjoyed parts of it though. Although I do think BITR shown in full is very good to very strong, because of the 27 minutes that makes up the 3rd episode when shown separately (the Blue Midget dance is rightly viewed as infamous by most Dwarfers), it was not Doug getting the most out of long form RD. In terms of the additional material there was not too much really - just 4 extra scenes - and you could see they were a bit superfluous and why they were cut, but they were still quite interesting. 8.3/10.