Lister/Kochanski...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by H is for Hologram, Jun 20, 2020.

Is it weird, or is it just me?

1. It's just you. Don't worry about it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, it's really, really weird.

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. It's Red Dwarf

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. H is for Hologram

H is for Hologram Third Technician

Does anyone else think that it's really weird that Lister is sexually attracted to the woman who gave birth to him (his biological mother)?

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

That whole Lister being his own father and Kochanski being his mother thing was probably my least favourite thing in the whole of Red Dwarf. I wish Doug had never had that terrible idea.

3. H is for Hologram

H is for Hologram Third Technician

I think, if they had thought it through, the better option would have been for the female Lister from Parallel Universe and our Lister were Lister's parents, and have Kochanski be the mother of Jim & Bexly.

4. Jape of The Decade

Jape of The Decade First Technician

Agreed. It's as if Doug was trying to be clever but no... just no.... :shake:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Not so much when you consider that he didn't know she was his mother when he first fancied her.

To continue to pursue a sexual relationship afterwards though... yeah that's a bit weird. I guess he could get round it by stating that she was never a mother to him in relationship, but whether he likes it or not he would still contain 50% of her DNA.

6. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

I liked it

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Lister was originally supposed to be an unremarkable, ordinary individual who had just happened to end up as the last human being alive. That's one of the great things about the early episodes. My problem with the 'being his own father' thing is that it ruins the idea of him being normal and unremarkable and suggests there's some grander purpose to his existence.

8. BruceFivesyth

BruceFivesyth First Technician

Yep. Nail on head.

Bluey likes this.
  9. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

After my Dwarfathon this spring, I realised that Ouroboros along with the Pete two-parter are my joint least liked RD shows ever. It is funny because I used to think Ouroboros was a great, emotional episode back in 1997 but after some years I started to really dislike it because it is the first time the comedy was not the same without Rob Grant and also the first instance in which Rimmer is totally not present. But back to the topic, the whole fathering yourself thing now I really don't like because it is simply genetically and scientifically impossible - it is like a step too far away from sci-fi and into extreme fantasy silliness.

However, strangely I do enjoy series 10's Fathers and Suns a lot and think it is classic Dwarf despite it harking back to this weird concept - I suppose 15 years later you are used to it and at least it extracts as much genuine and successful humour out of it as possible.