New Red Dwarf Comics?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by CJ_MAK, Apr 13, 2009.

1. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

Seeing as we might not get another series after BTE(finger's crossed we do) how about bringing back Red Dwarf as a Comic strip?
    I know this has been done before in Red Dwarf Magazine/Smegzine but that was while the show was still running...
    This time it could be a fulltime comic stip showing Lister,Rimmer,Cat and Kryten in their further adventure's after BTE....
    Just a thought...

2. joe_mills

joe_mills First Technician

Id prefer to see RD graphic novels, always surprised me there has never been any.

3. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

Suprises me too, definately something worth considering for the future...

4. karcreat

karcreat Second Technician

How about an animated/animatic episode?...;-)

I'm involved with creating one at the moment...here's a sketch I did for the toon versions of The Boys in Starbug's cockpit...

[​IMG]

...What do you think?

K

5. sanja

sanja Supply Officer

6. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

It's excellent (and, oddly similar to the opening cast shot in Prelude to Nanarchy).

Making stuff for fans on a forum to see isn't the best way to approach GNP with a genuine pitch, though. If you're seriously that good, I'd think about putting something more 'pro' together.

7. karcreat

LOL!
    Yup, that online comic 'Prelude' was what I printed out to get a reference for the Starbug cockpit (all the photos online were too dark...and too few!)

Good eye on that!

However...

Call me stupid (no, really...go ahead, I can take it!...;-) but I'm a tad lost here...

Are you (Andrew) involved with the actual Grant Naylor Productions, or are you a moderator for the boards?
    (I'm new here, so again...please forgive my obvious ignorance...)

Either way, just to be clear, I wasn't actually attempting to 'approach' GNP with a 'pitch' (I didn't even know I COULD do that!) I was in fact just putting something together for fellow fans...

I've done a lot of 'fandom' stuff for fun over the years, an entire imaginary 'Venture Brothers' 'mini-isode' animatic, which Doc Hammer, creator of the show seemed to like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOAYou7Bpjs

...A 'Family Guy' themed 'Dragon's Lair' arcade game trailer, which the writers for the show enjoyed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=712Lc5JIE5A

...and so on.

If you want to see what I came up with regarding this 'Red Dwarf' themed animatic, here's the script (it will run about three min), which I wrote...

http://www.karcreat.com/RDAnimatic01.rtf

...and here's what I have done concerning the animatic itself so far (I apologize in advance for my GODAWFUL 'Lister' and 'Rimmer' voicework...tho my 'Cat' and 'Kryten' are...well, not as bad...:?

http://www.karcreat.com/RDAnimatic001.wmv

...Let me know what you think of it all, and whether you are a board administrator or an employee at GNP, thank you for the kind words regarding my work!

-K

8. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

I'm both, sort of. I worked at GNP for eight years making the DVDs, the bonus content, etc. as well as running the website. I still run the site, and I go back to GNP when they're in production - so I was associate producer of Back to Earth and director of the Making Of documentary. Between those jobs I work as a writer and script consultant.

I'm not able to watch/read anything scripted as it puts me if a difficult position if the show were ever to use similar ideas/jokes. But good luck with what you do!

9. karcreat

VERY cool!.....8)
    Hey, and THANKS for 'Back to Earth', it was FANTASTIC to see the boys all back together again (was it ME, or did they barely age at ALL??!)

Awwww....;(

I kindda figured as much....
    I suppose it wouldn't matter if I stated that I wouldn't CARE if you happened to use my ideas/something similar, should that by chance ever happen? (I honestly could not care LESS about that kindda thing, I would just be thrilled and honored that I was able to contribute in some way!)

Either way, tell me this, please...is GNP open to submissions or assistance of any kind for 'Red Dwarf'?
    I would LOVE to submit some work to them, maybe even the animatic when it's done...hell, if for no other reason than to get some feedback from the actual creators of the show (that would be fantastic!...)

Thanks in advance...

K

10. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

There's no public submission because it would generate an insane workload. And they can't accept unsolicited Red Dwarf content.

But sometimes a good resumé/showreel/portfolio is worth passing on. You can send something to webboard@reddwarf.co.uk if you like, though there won't likely be any immediate response. Send when you have something good to show - be 'good' rather than 'fast'.

11. karcreat

Thank you, Sir!

(Much appreciated...;-)

K

12. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

I like it,would be nice if you could get GNP's backing for a fulltime strip......

13. karcreat

LOL!!

Yeah, well...that would be FANTASTIC...but I doubt they would have any interest...they already have an online comic artist and I really don't think they would be too eager to employ someone from the USA to work on 'Their Baby'...:lol:

Thanks tho, your kind words are much appreciated!

-K

14. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

Lol I just wanna see RD continue in one form or another:-D

15. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

They don't have an online artist. Prelude was a one-off from a few years ago.

16. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

It feels rather recent to me. It's worrying how quickly time goes by when you get older.

17. Aimi

Aimi Catering Officer

Karcreat, are you in the fan club? I'm sure they'd love some of your material for the fan mag if you made short comic strips to cover about 2-4 pages. It could lead to bigger things.

18. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

I've updated my Red Dwarf comic Blog...

19. karcreat

:-)
    Nope...didn't think they allowed members from the USA, as they seem to want to 'block' us so often from content on UK sites and from submitting entries in contests, etc...

Believe me, I would LOVE to try...I just didn't think we were allowed to!...;-)

Where would I submit anything, who to?

Thanks!
    K

20. jacksmith

jacksmith Catering Officer

The fan club president is on the forums, he goes under the user name: El Presidente, so i'd e-mail him if i were you.