prequel

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by DespairSquid8, Jul 26, 2011.

1. tortexturtle

tortexturtle First Technician

No one gives a crap about realism when it comes to casting their favorite show. Remember in Ouroboros for example, we are given an alternate Lister, Kochanski, and Rimmer pre-radiationleak and I don't know about you, but I certainly wasn't like "Oh my, they look 9 years too old right now!" TV and movies all require a willing suspension of disbelief, and if you ask me it's much easier to suspend your disbelief when it comes to something like age than it is when it comes to something like an alternate actor. (I'm not saying whether I think a prequel is a good idea or not, I'm just saying the age thing would not hinder their ability to do so if they wanted, IMO)

2. nine-eleven-four

nine-eleven-four Skutter

They could always use 'young lister' from timeslides ;-)

I think the prequel / backstory is well covered in the first Dwarf book, I'm a real fan of the book, but I'm not sure how well it would come off onscreen.

3. mophead241

mophead241 Catering Officer

Young Lister would be 22 years older now though.

4. steven87gill

steven87gill Second Technician

Wasn't there a line in Back To Earth stating that it was set 'after series X'? If that's the case then Series X is a sort of prequel?

5. supercat

supercat Console Officer

But all of that turned out to be untrue...

6. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Okay, spoilers, but I don't suppose that matters being in this section....

Yeah, in the world of the hallucination there are two other series of Red Dwarf but that shouldn't be taken as an indication that we're going back to the 'in between' period in the real world. It's a bit of a gag really and I suppose an indication that there is plenty of back-story we're unaware of that might be drawn on for future stories. By that I don't mean they'll go back to that period, I just mean it indicates a history much like Kochanski and Lister's relationship (or lack of it in series 1 and 2) did in the earlier series.