Promised land Bluray

Discussion in 'RED DWARF: THE PROMISED LAND' started by bilbobagenz, Apr 9, 2020.

1. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

The Promised Land disc release is now down to 86 in the combined Blu-ray/DVD sales chart. I suppose in this twilight stage of RD that is what you would be likely to expect with the sales falling after the first week in which all the RD hardcore fans went and bought it. Still although it is a bit of shame that it is such a big drop from no.12 at least it is still in the top 100 for a 2nd week and in fact it has only fallen 5 places to no.6 in the TV discs chart which doesn't sound as bad.

I will try and watch the special again in about a week and I am greatly looking forward to it. I am also glad my 2020 Red Dwarf binge watching is not quite over yet.

2. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

I think the thing is the charts were bound to be very high the first week as the DVD would have been mainly purchased 'Pre Ordered' before release. so it really makes sense that after those first pre orders were counted in the charts a sharp drop in position would happen.

3. UltraDevotee

Sounds right.

4. UltraDevotee

Although The Promised Land is out of the top 100 video (combined Blu-rays and DVDs sales) chart, it is still in the top 100 Blu-rays sold at least. But the main positive is it is still in the top 10 television physical formats sold (at number 8) which isn't too bad really - I hope it can continue in the TV chart for a few weeks yet and it deserves to as it was such a decent special.

5. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

I don't know what charts do you use, but acording to Amazon, it's still doing pretty well. #58 in DVD & Blu-Ray, #4 in Science Fiction, #5 in Television.

btw, I've just been told that my the delivery service is waiting to receive my Blu-Ray from the shop. Can't wait.

6. Daz 2X4B-1104

Daz 2X4B-1104 Second Technician

I got my copy on Sunday :thanks:

Ant E likes this.
  7. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

But still no dvd cast commentary!!! Disappointing

8. Asclepius

There's just a few of extras on the Blu-Ray, but they're quite good imho.

Smeg Ups
    This is probably the first time in the Daveera, when someone put an effort in the smeg ups. The outtakes are put together in a very nice order, which is funny in itself and reminds me of the original smeg ups from the DVDs. Quite interesting that for 90 minutes of material, there's 7 minutes of smeg ups.

The Promised Doc
    Nice, but unfortunately too short. Some things don't even get a mention, but others like Doug's terrible drawing of the cat fleet are being pintlessly discussed for some reason.

Through An Audience's Eyes
    There are great interviews with various people from the production as well as meaningless views from the audience, who basically say how amazing the show was.
    There's a great ending the cast saying the lyrics of the title song, which is so good that I wonder why it wasn't done before.

9. UltraDevotee

I got my chart numbers from the Official Charts Company and yes there is quite a sizeable difference between it and the Amazon ranking. On Amazon it would be probably higher if they had an overall top 100 (Blu-ray and DVD sales combined into one figure) and the DVD sales are bigger than the Blu-ray ones.

On the Official Charts the Blu-ray has actually gone up from 94 to 74 whereas the DVD is out the top 100 which is quite a big discrepancy.

But still official must mean the true sales surely and at least on it The Promised Land is still at no.8 on the TV DVD/Blu-ray sales chart which I feel is pretty good after 4 weeks. It was great fun in the last week to watch the special again and then see my football team Liverpool finally land the Premier League title at last on Thursday (the first league triumph I have ever witnessed as a fan (I was only 6 in 1990) so I was absolutely made up and now after supporting them since 1997 I have finally seen them win all the major trophies!). Both Red Dwarf and Liverpool FC have cheered me up with their great quality in an otherwise rotten year for everyone.

10. sundayforsammy

The only thing on the DVD that isn't on the telly is Through An Audience's Eyes.

Ant E likes this.
  11. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Have you ever been to a recording?

12. Asclepius

Well, none of the Extras was on the telly, it was on UKTV Play. :shake::roll:

13. sundayforsammy

From all my post whinging on about never getting an audience ticket over the last 10 years or so, you should know the answer to that Mr. Ant.

Well you know what UKTV play was on my Telly, 'Don't be so god damn picky'

Ant E likes this.
  14. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Oh. I’ve been twice.... :thanks:

And im hated by Andrew Ellard, Seb, Ganymede and Titan and the fan club.

15. Asclepius

Are you proud to be so hated (as mr @neilold (banned))?

Nikki the Great likes this.
  16. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Not sure i’d say proud. A lot of it I can’t really remember why.

Plus if @neilold was proud of being hated he wouldn’t have hid away from so many people

17. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

Do the fanclub just hate everyone who isn't in the fanclub?

Asclepius and Ant E like this.
  18. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Even the MOD hates us

19. Asclepius

They just despise everyone who isn't in the fanclub. If you aren't in the fanclub, but you like them, they despise you secretly.

20. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Who is actually in charge of the fan club now?