Radio Times Interview...possible future plots (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'RED DWARF: THE PROMISED LAND' started by bedfordfalls, Apr 17, 2020.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Again, putting possibly imaginary comments in quotation marks doesn't verify them. You are getting annoyed about things that have no record of being spoken.
    There is no mention of this anywhere in the numerous articles that exist on the casting of Chloe Annett, but all of the things I mentioned can be verified. They were looking for a professional actress who could portray the character. The fact that she had sex appeal may have entered into it, but it would be extremely unkind to suggest that CP Grogan, who was a long time crush of many a young lad, didn't have it and I've yet to hear anyone from the show comment that this was the case. They just didn't think she could pull off the part outside of cameos and Doug had been keen to cast Chloe since she auditioned for the 10%ers.

Let's not forget also that by Series VII even Craig Charles was considered to have sex appeal! He was roundhouse kicking simulants like JCVD! The show has dealt with their aging well, barring the refusal to let Rimmer and Cat go bald gracefully (something I would internalise as being the character's decision combined with Rimmer's hologramatic status) it doesn't pretend that these are young men anymore so why would it do so with Kochanski?

Alexandra likes this.
  2. Alexandra

Alexandra First Technician

Well that's why I used quotations. I don't claim I know what happened.

Nikki the Great likes this.
  3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

But then Norman would have to share screentime. i imagine he wants it to be all on him.

Nikki the Great likes this.
  4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

They have no reason to recast Chloe. its fair to say when they recast for series 7 it was because she was gonna become a regular character and they may have felt Grogan wasn't the right fit for that.

There is also a possibility they wanted an attractive actress to play kochanski, because the movie and funding. attractive actresses help I'm sure.

Recasting this time though? whats the point? Chloe isn't an unattractive older women, and really there is nothing to chase anymore. and Kochanski isn't a regular.

5. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

I'm not making it into anything, it's literally on the wilipedia page for the character. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristine_Kochanski
    "In series 1, 2, and 6 she was played by Clare Grogan until producers deemed Grogan was 'too old' for the role, although her male counterpart Craig Charles was less than two years younger"

Sure, anyone can edit wikipedia, but there's rarely smoke without fire, no need to imply I'm up to something I'm not.

Abe likes this.
  6. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

Yeah I would hope not, was just backing up @Alexandra's concerns really (cos that's what we womyns do innit). Good for them if they don't though!

Alexandra likes this.
  7. Jape of The Decade

Jape of The Decade First Technician

I agree. It would be nice to have the gap between VIII and BTE explored. Just because people didn't like a series doesn't mean it didn't happen! Even if it's just a brief mentioning.

Perhaps the resurrected crew developed a defect and aren't actually human at all. There are all sorts of things that Doug could do.

The Kochanski arc needs to be given closure, not necessarily the main plot of a special but it would be nice to her story resolved.

I think retuning to Earth would be great.
    They don't have to stay there! But finding out what's happened to the planet after 3 million years would make a great story.

As for an "ending" I think Doug needs to realise they can't keep making these forever. I was always upset about the fact that the show never had any closure when it ended on the BBC.

I agree seeing Lister settle down on Figi would be lame. But maybe give it a nice open ending... or do something unexpected and crazy that would divide fans completely haha.

When it comes to answering questions Doug, these are the questions that need to be answered!

Yes, Doug. We know you read this :-) :-)

8. Alexandra

I like the mistery about Earth. But in books there are giant bugs.

9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I get the feeling Doug is trying to resolve things without actually giving the show an ending. this seems to be what Doug wants to do. resolve series long arcs but not end the story.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    Jape of The Decade likes this.
  10. Jape of The Decade

I know. I'd love to see them do the whole Garbage World thing but surely budgetary issues would be a problem?

I think it's kinda nice to keep the novels separate from the series. Though I believe elements of White Hole are based one of the novels so who knows... :-)

11. Alexandra

I think they just wanna do it properly and not rush it.

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Which is exactly the correct way to do it in my opinion. I don't want some big ending to the show, but seeing these various long-standing questions resolved is nice.

Alexandra and Jape of The Decade like this.
  13. Jape of The Decade

This makes sense. I like this idea :-)

14. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I don't think Doug has any interest in delving into the novels anymore. i think that stopped after series 7. when the movie became a prospect and Doug started getting new ideas for the future of the stories.

15. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Personally i think trying to resolve arcs is just as bad as trying to write an ending really. because they want to avoid people disliking how the show ends... but what if you hate how an arc concludes? its basically the same.

I have always preferred the show stick to just going forward and telling new stories. don't keep looking back. if you wanna look back just put on one of the DVDs.

Even with the Cat stuff in The Promise Land. i ain't sure whether i felt Doug done this arc justice. for the amount that could have been done with it and what was set up in Waiting for God and even the first novel. it was fairly skimmed over, and now thats pretty much it for that arc.

16. Alexandra

I was talking about TV yes. I am just tankful they were careful.

17. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

You're right that the Wikipedia page does indeed say that, however the quote is taken from this article

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/12803442.how-clare-survived-25-years-in-showbiz/

The words 'too old' are entirely the journalist's own and aren't backed up or validated by anything CP Grogan actually is quoted as saying in the interview. It seems very much like speculation on the journalist's part. Whereas Doug's reasons for recasting have been clearly stated in interviews and he's never once mentioned it having anything to do with age but more about acting chops. It's also telling that CP Grogan's delivery in Psirens is openly mocked on the DVD commentary by the cast.

I don't think you're "up to something" but I think you are worrying about something that quite possibly never happened and there is certainly no mention anywhere that I can see about perceived "hotness" being a factor (although, I'm sure that Chloe being a generally attractive woman mattered somewhat for the possible Hollywood project, I don't think it helped her edge out Claire Grogan).

As I say, an older, pushing 40 Chloe already appeared in Red Dwarf and was scheduled to appear in X before budget issues caused rewrites. She is an actor Doug clearly respects and sees as his ideal Kochanski. I really don't think we have anything to worry about her being recast for a 28 year old.

18. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I meant that i don't think Doug has any interest in taking from the books and putting it into the show. the last time he did that properly was series 7. after that things changed and he did not really do it anymore. i think thats because his movie was gonna be a reboot in itself so his creative ideas were moving away from the books.

Although he did take one of the song titles from the book for series 12. but Doug seemed to of forgot that that song wasn't written by Lister in the book. so it was probably more of an easter egg.

Alexandra likes this.
  19. Alexandra

Didn't he even say himself once that he doesn't want to connect show and books before? I agree with you, he probably will not.

Jape of The Decade likes this.
  20. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Well he did it quite abit with Series 7. alot of the backstory kochanski stuff felt more at home with the first book. and the Nova 5 reference suggests it happened the same way as in the book with Kryten accidentally killing the crew.

After series 7 he moved away from it.

Alexandra likes this.