Radio Times Interview...possible future plots (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'RED DWARF: THE PROMISED LAND' started by bedfordfalls, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Jape of The Decade

Jape of The Decade First Technician

So perhaps more along the lines of meeting some decendants from the crew. After all the boys have been in Stasis for varied lengths of time.

Maybe Yyvone Mcgruder had a son...

There are so many places he could go.. :-)

2. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

I dunno, haven't ever looked into it that much myself. Seems odd it would appear on a wikipedia page about the character if there was no truth to it though, but hey...

It wasn't me that made the comment about "hotness", nor raise the concern about the recasting a younger actress if she ever appears again. But I completely respect and understand where the person who made the comment is coming from as unfortunately it IS an issue in this industry and certainly was even more so back then, so it wouldn't surprise me if there was truth to that.

Cool, glad you don't think I was up to something, but it felt like you were implying that when you said "you are making this into something it's not". I'm not doing that at all, I'm only going by what's been reported on what's supposed to be a fairly accurate and reliable source for such things.

3. Alexandra

Alexandra First Technician

This conversaton is making me seriously depressed guys :crying:

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

5. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

Chin up!

Alexandra likes this.
  6. Alexandra

7. Alexandra

:thumbup:

8. bedfordfalls

Agreed.

[​IMG]

Alexandra likes this.
  9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

And the answer to those questions would probably be messy to say the least.

10. Alexandra

Let's hope they will never try to answer. Unless it's well made. :lol:

11. Jape of The Decade

Jape of The Decade First Technician

I kinda thought we knew this anyway. Given that Rimmer makes many references to previous series. In The Promised Land he remembers how they found Kryten.

“You wouldn’t be able to pitch ‘Quite a few fans are worrying about which Rimmer this is, let’s do a whole film to sort that out’ – they [the broadcaster] would just go, ‘See that door? Close it behind you.’' - Doug

You don't need a whole film. Just one scene then move on. The door's closed

This excites me more from Richard Naylor ...

“I think there is a really cool, exciting story to be told there, explaining a lot of those things, but it’s finding the right moment for it,”

:-)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    Alexandra likes this.
  12. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Just to check @bedfordfalls , are you angry at the concept of them revealing what happened at the end of series 8 or them ignoring it?

13. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

We will probably never find out the answer. I don't think she was recast for being old. It's truth Red Dwarf wasn't her main project, so she probably wasn't available to do a full series.
    On the other hand, Doug not mentioning the age inthe documentary isn't much of an argument. If she had been recast because of her age, I'm sure Doug wouldn't tell this in the documentary. (Or @Andrew would edit it.)

However, if Kochanski ever returns, I'm sure it will be Chloë Annett. Doug wouldn't recast her again.

14. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

After XII, Doug said he wanted her to return. Now Richard said he wanted her to return. I think she was great as Holly and she really should return...

The problem is Norman obviously. They don't want to lose him again and he can get offended really easily, you know...

If she returned as Hilly and there was a well written story, it would be great.

15. bedfordfalls

I'm angry at neither. I'm personally happy enough to never reference Series 8 again.

In my view, the show made the correct decision to just hit the reset button because trying to write yourself out of that mess would just make it worse.

The only time I got vaguely excited at the possibility of Hollister reappearing was when the first shots of Hoguey started to appear prior to 'The Beginning'. A lot of us speculated that it was Hollister come back as some sort of assimilated Borg style creature.

That would have been an exciting and refreshing way to use Mac and close of the loop. A return by the crew, or Hollister, as they were portrayed in Series 8 is otherwise completely unappealing to me. Unfortunately, as Skipper showed us, Hollister as a cowardly weasily Donut Boy very much appears to be the new canon right now. Meanwhile, the awful Timewave, reminded me that Doug, unfortunately, still finds that kind of thing hilarious.

16. bedfordfalls

That's okay though because this isn't the argument. Doug is on record with actual valid reasons as to why Chloe was cast. You could speculate about what anyone DIDN'T say. What matters is what they did say and actual reasons involving acting ability and long term availability have been given.

Like you say, I don't think there is any danger of anyone else playing Kochanski at this point unless Chloe declined to do it. I'd personally be disappointed to see her recast again, which is not something I ever thought I'd say during the original airing of series 7 when I was fully on board as a member of team Grogan.

17. H is for Hologram

H is for Hologram Third Technician

It would have been nice if Doug Naylor had informed the audience as to which Rimmer this was supposed to be through his writing and having the cast give a performance based on the information that this was the "real Rimmer", rather than a podcast quote that was reported through the news media. I mean, did Chris Barrie know that he was supposed to be playing the Rimmer who left in Stoke Me a Clipper and returned a couple of years later to rescue the Dwarfers due to a "total fluke". And it's weird that Rimmer hadn't learned, literally, anything during his time away during his process of turning from a caterpillar to whatever bug his character is supposed to be now.

And this information made "Stoke Me A Clipper" completely pointless.

I just don't get it.

Sad as it is to say, Nano-Rimmer actually had a character arc by the time of Only the Good. He went from not knowing or caring about the Dwarfers to going into the Mirror Universe, getting the info that they needed and rather than staying in the universe where he could have had a much better existence, he went back and at least attempted to save the day...whether he succeeded or not, it didn't matter. He died heroically because he came back.

18. Gluben

Gluben Second Technician

Why not have Lovett's Holly on Red Dwarf and Hayridge's Holly on Starbug?

19. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

There is actually several hints its the original Rimmer in the last BTE,10,11 and 12. most of them are callbacks that only would matter to the original Rimmer. including Lister bringing up to him about not fixing the drive plate several times.

When Lister mentioned it in The Promise Land it did make me cringe abit. this show went on for so many series with barely mentioning it. nowadays Lister tends to mention it alot. almost like Doug is worried the audience will forget. or that the event should be Rimmer's defining moment.

Well it's abit of a complicated mess of a turn around really. if you bring back the original rimmer, you need to explain what happened to the previous Rimmer. and even if Doug feels up to it, the logic alone could feel like a forced mess when it comes to explaining how all these pieces make sense.

Personally i ain't a big fan of stoke me a clipper anyway. the treatment of Ace is abit of a joke.

Yeah but you have to remember that that the original Rimmer is the one that we watched through 6 and a half series. he had the most history with the show. while Nano Rimmer was basically series 1 rimmer going to prison and escaping.

Because Norman wouldn't like that. and there probably isn't enough material for 2 holly's.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020