Radio Times Poll: Best Series of Red Dwarf

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by talkie3000, Mar 28, 2020.

1. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

Series 5 probably will get the title of best ever but I would agree with Bluey - 6 is my pick. I just love the constant tension and danger with them being without their mothership and instead stuck in "the Bug." The sci-fi element of RD is at its peak and while it is true that is equally mindblowing in series 5, the gags per minute style in Doug's final co-written with Rob Grant series - the Lennon and McCartney of screenwriting for me - puts it just about ahead.

Series 3 I adore and that is my 3rd favourite series - the first 3 are some of the best RD episodes ever and marked a new phenomenal era (though series 2 was incredible too) and the 2nd half is extremely close behind and I even love The Last Day.

Series 2 to 6 are the peak of the show to me, series 1 very good (the comedy was first rate but the plots were "just getting going"), series 7/8 half successful/half bungled evolutions to me while BtE is the weakest - though still okay - IMHO.

Series 10 was RD pretty much back on track while series 11 and 12 without scaling the absolute heights that 2-6 reached, were excellent (9 out of 10) and the finest RD in decades.

But anyway if series 5 wins I will be delighted but to me it is just by a slight margin the 1993 run that is my favourite.

2. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

11 yes. 12... hmmm

3. Alexandra

Alexandra First Technician

I just know I felt like that kid who could not stop laughing again. :nod: If I think about quality maybe it's not the best. Still it deserves to be higher.

4. CaptainBollocks

CaptainBollocks Second Technician

Wasn't it that Series VI was viewed more disparagingly when it came out, similar to Meltdown having previously been the most hated episode of Red Dwarf (to the point the cast still believe it remains as such)?

I think its more the vibe of the times where its more popular to have a dislike towards new content of established properties than to be more favourable, though I will say it often times is justified.

If I had to rank Red Dwarf, it'd probably go:

VI
    V
    X
    IV
    III
    I
    XII
    II
    XI
    BtE
    VII
    VIII

Though I prefer rating individual episodes than entire series, since in cases like VII I think Tikka and Stoke are classic episodes while most of the rest are mostly mediocre, and since Red Dwarf is only 73 (soon to be 74) episodes it wouldn't be hard anyway like the poll G&T runs every so often. Its just unfortunate most people assume stuff like G&T is the voice of the whole fanbase and don't bother forming their own opinions.

5. CaptainBollocks

Personally I feel XII has more enjoyable episodes than XI, only Timewave is the outlier whilst I think Samsara, Krysis, and Can of Worms are all pretty crap.

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Season VI is certainly seen as pretty weak by some people. That's a view I've seen expressed a few times. Though about the only actual example I can come up with right now is from the Guinness Book of Classic British TV, which came out a few years after season VI and describes it as 'unsatisfactory'. Mind you this is the same book that describes (apparently seriously) the children's drama series Press Gang as 'the best series in the world'.

It's actually my favourite season of Dwarf. I think the fans are put off a bit by the weaker episodes, Emohawk: Polymorph II and Rimmerworld (even though I still really like those two), but Gunmen, Legion and Out of Time are among the best episodes of all time in my opinion. Out of Time does seem to polarise opinion a bit though.

7. CaptainBollocks

When I wrote that the example in my head was of when Chris criticized the use of running gags in it and how it was weaker than V in that interview for Starburst from sometime after VI aired.

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I can totally understand why some may have been a little put off by series 6. its a very formulaic series. but at the same time. i think there still a fair amount of the series 5 level quality that remains in that series.

As for the poll. its actually evolved over time. it was series 3 winning at first. with series 5 being 2nd. then Series 5 took the lead with Series 3 being 2nd. then it changed to Series 5 as the lead with Series 6 being 2nd.

Series 2 has also been overtaken by series 1 too.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Season V being at the top was a very predictable result. It's probably where Red Dwarf reached its peak in terms of creativity and it does contain the best and most popular episode of all time - in fact, there isn't a weak episode in the whole season. I always felt that season VI was a little underappreciated, so I'm glad to see that it's done so well in this poll.

On the other hand, season VIII is far too high (it should be at the bottom - there's no way it's superior to seasons like XI and XII), and I'm surprised to see XI at the bottom. Perhaps XI and XII need a few years for the fans to appreciate them properly and maybe they'll rise up the list should this poll be done again in about five years' time.

10. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

XI and XII are probably too similar. its easy to forget which episode came from which series sometimes IMO.

So people just went for the freshest.

11. CaptainBollocks

I hold particular fondness for the Dave era, so its a shame to see it really hammered in this poll.

12. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

The problem with these polls is that most of the participants haven't actually seen all the episodes, or they have seen the new ones just once.
    Also they were supposed to pick just one series. The results would be different if they were supposed to rank them best to worst.

Still can't understand, why VIII was so high...

Alexandra likes this.
  13. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

Well although series 6 is my pick, I am absolutely delighted to see series 5 triumph as after all it is my 2nd favourite and one - obviously - where Red Dwarf was very much at the peak of its powers. Although 6 is my top choice, I suppose that does not have the famous mothership in it too so I can see why others chose that sensational 1992 run.

I am glad also to see that 3 is very high up as that is my 3rd favourite RD.

Although I half love (but also half detest) series 8, I am surprised to see that so high up too. I suppose although quite a lot of it would not be allowed today...apart from that it is quite a fun series, though for the most part it is not too clever and not really sci-fi.

As for the Dave era, well although series 2-6 will always be Red Dwarf's golden age to me...there is no way series 11 is the weakest link...no way. Although I am glad that 12 is slightly higher in the poll than the other Dave era series as it is really strong...really 11 was slightly more excellent to me and is the finest Red Dwarf run since the glory days.

10, 11 and 12 are all superior to series 7 IMHO so I was surprised to see that not at least higher than that and 8.

Maybe because the ratings for RD reached their peak around 7 (?) and 8 and obviously with it being a digital channel, the Dave figures are lower - that is why they have fared better.

Who knows? Still although I was disappointed with how the Dave era fared...series 2-6 deserved their success and I am ultimately glad to see the 1992 run - including the best ever episode - crowned champion! Congratulations.

But BtE - although it is overall okay - is definitely the least decent RD (mini)-series ever to me!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  14. cowolter

cowolter Skutter

Season 6. Appreciate what others are saying about certain jokes being stale by then, but for me that was the peak of Dwarf, in terms of stories/look/character arcs etc. Also has Gunmen which is my fave ever ep.

Pembers and UltraDevotee like this.