Recommend me some 1970s music.

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by Simonr1978, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Console Officer

I was born in 1978 so I grew up with 80s and 90s music, I inherited the 60s stuff from my parents but the 1970s has always been a kind of no-man's land to me. I like Disco and Punk, for example Donna Summer's I feel Love, Boney M's Rasputin and The Buzzcocks Ever Fallen In Love almost equally, but I do feel slightly lost in the post-Vietnam pre-Falklands era. So any recommendations to fill the 70's slot in my music catalogue would be appreciated, bearing in mind I have a very eclectic taste.

2. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

Here you go Simon, here you go:

You're welcome Simon!

3. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

The Only One's eponymous debut album (1978) is one of my all-time favourites.

Dire Straits (can I go up to 1980's Making Movies?) aren't cool but are good, and the early albums have some gems that never appear on the best-ofs.

4. metallithrax

metallithrax Second Technician

5. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

Well, this is sorta right up my alley :-D! Now...... I'm mostly a Rocker so my recommendations will be skewed towards that genre.

First I MUST put this out there. Its from late (October) 1969 so while its not "70's" totally we sure listened to it all year 1970 and its still one of my favorites.

1969 - In the Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson ...... progressive rock

1970 - After the Gold Rush - Neil Young .... soft rock. My very favorite album of all time. Not only is it a great album but I was listening to it the first time I ever drank a beer, smoked a joint and got laid. Yeah..... all in the same night :redface:.
    Band of Gypsies - Jimi Hendrix ..... rock a Classic
    Sweet Baby James - James Taylor ..... soft rock

1971 - Whos Next - The Who .... Rock
    Loaded - The Velvet Underground ...... rock/progressive rock/.......... hard to describe but excellent.
    Tarkus - Emerson Lake and Palmer ..... progressive rock
    IV - Led Zeppelin ....... rock (yeah I know..... you've heard Stairway a zillion times but the rest of the album is excellent.)

1972 - Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie ..... rock
    Blue Oyster Cult - Blue Oyster Cult ..... rock (Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll!!!!!!!)

1973 - For Your Pleasure - Roxy Music .... rock/powerpop
    Raw Power - The Stooges ...... rock (want to know where the Sex Pistols got their inspiration?)
    Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd ...... rock/progressive rock
    Tyranny and Mutation - Blue Oyster Cult ..... rock (probably their best)
    Quadrophrenia - The Who ....rock

1974 - Bridge of Sighs - Robin Trower ..... rock/bluesrock (he has trouble knowing how to end a song but they are so good you don't even notice at first.)

1975 - Fighting - Thin Lizzy .... rock

1976 - Ramones - The Ramones ....... punk (yeah.... before the Sex Pistols :-D)

1977 - The Idiot - Iggy Pop ..... rock
    77 - Talking Heads ...... rock
    The Clash - The Clash ...... rock/punk (love this band)
    Q. Are We Not Men? A. We are Devo! - Devo .... punk/rock/new wave whatever. Devo has to be heard. Uncontrollable Urge/Satisfaction/Mongoloid/Gut Feeling(Slap your Mammy) are all excellent
    Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols - The Sex Pistols ..... punk

1978 - More Songs about Buildings and Food - Talking Heads ....rock
    The Cars - The Cars ...... rock/new wave
    The Electric Chairs - The Electric Chairs ....... rock/punk (go to gawk at Wayne/Jayne County, stay for the excellent music.

1979 - This Years Model - Elvis Costello ....rock/new wave
    Entertainment - Gang of Four ....... rock/new wave
    London Calling - The Clash ....... rock/punk (Damn I love this record!)
    Fear of Music - Talking Heads .....rock

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  6. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Console Officer

Thanks for the suggestions so far, it's given me a good start to begin working on.

BigOleDummy likes this.
  7. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Console Officer

Have another that I cannot believe I forgot :redface: as its another of my favorite of all time records.

1970 - The Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus - Spirit