Red Dwarf Series 13 confirmed - According to Robert

Discussion in 'RED DWARF: THE PROMISED LAND' started by DivineVarod, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

>:-(

2. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Are you new around here?

Asclepius likes this.
  3. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

I wonder if they'll change Rimmer's tunic for Series XIII. The dark blue of Series X and onward is probably my least favorite variation, and he's had it for 18 episodes now. I don't want Red Dwarf to get too visually consistent, I like it when the overall aesthetic changes every series.

To address the comment I usually get in response to this, we are well past the point where anyone would get confused about whether Rimmer was still solid if they changed to a color besides blue. If Series XIII opened with Rimmer back in his classic green tunic, only a very specific type of person is going to go "Oh, well I guess that means he's now intangible again for some reason." Rimmer's solidity has been an established facet of the show for six and a half series now.

And when he switched to soft light in Entangled he became purple. How about purple? That would be interesting. More so than the same blue tunic again.

Holly was profoundly unnecessary in the vast majority of VIII. He pretty much just pops up a couple times an episode to contribute a one-liner and then buggers off. VIII's overstuffed cast led to even Kryten becoming a secondary character along the likes of Hollister, with Cat and Kochanski being tertiary characters most of the time. Holly is so underused he's pretty much a side character like Kill Crazy.

I won't even get started on Kochanski's reduction to a sex object, and how across VIII you have statutory rape, voyeurism and various other forms of creeping on women as major running themes played entirely for cheap laughs. Maybe any one of them by itself would necessarily be that bad, but it's very disconcerting that it's such a huge recurring element across the entire series. Pete, not just the worst episode of Red Dwarf but unwatchably bad television by any standards, is ironically the only episode free of any disturbing molestation of women.

No, but judging from the join date you are.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  4. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

I like the blue version. Yes, he could get new colour, but it isn't necessary. Blue had become typical for the Dave era. There aren't many new colours to try. Purple may work, but I don't think it would match to Rimmers personality...

5. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Rimmer had his original uniform for 12 episodes, and his green tunic for 12 episodes. He had the red tunic for 6 (let's pretend he wasn't in green for half of The Inquisitor), and he had the red quilted jacket for 2 (we'll ignore his brief softlight time in Gunmen), blue quilted jacket for 12, and the light blue tunic for 3.

Then the dark blue tunic for 18. It's unprecedented for him to be in the same costume this long, and I've always been fond of Red Dwarf's different eras being very distinguishable by Rimmer's associated costume. Series XIII is likely going to be filmed three years on from XI and XII, so it only feels appropriate that it have its own distinct look. If the clearly unconfirmed return of Holly is happening (definitely is), then the sets are going to be receiving a retooling to fit them with prominent screens for him to appear on.

It's a new era and I'd like a unique aesthetic to go with it. It's really exciting when we're not even sure what the new series is going to look like, a mystery we unfortunately didn't get to have with Series XII the way we had with XI, X and BtE.

6. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

If Holly does come back full time (as seems likely, Norman's mentioned this more than once now) it will really change the dynamic of the show. Hopefully this will be a good thing - it certainly has the potential to be, providing that the dialogue's more along the lines of Skipper than series VIII. It would definitely affect the pacing.

I like the idea of shaking things up again at this point, and agree that having a new costume/colour for Rimmer would be a refreshing change (as you say Smegerama, a new aesthetic for a new era). I'd also hope for fewer call-backs this time, despite mostly enjoying those from XI/XII.

Another thing - and this was probably just a throw-away comment - but in response to a question about Series XIII on one of his Periscopes, Robert said something along the lines of 'I don't think it's going to be called that'. Likely nothing, and this was back in January I think, but I wondered what else it might possibly be called - series XIIa perhaps? Surely they're not going to make series IX??

7. Asclepius

Interesting. I don't see any reason , why not call it Red Dwarf XIII. Danny was also talking about "XIII" in the newest gossip.

8. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

Mr Lou Wellin’s Tweeter also mentions XIII

Asclepius likes this.
  9. Asclepius

Yes, I forgot this. If it was going to be called differently, he wouldn't have written it to the Twitter bio.

10. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Instead of changing the color, surely it would be interesting to change what sort of blue thing Rimmer's wearing - i.e. a blue crew uniform, a blue jumpsuit, a blue toga, a blue bikini, a blue suit, a blue dildo, a blue tropical shirt, etc.

11. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Red Dwarf: Bath to Irk

12. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

Blue Dwarf: Back in the Green

Abe likes this.
  13. Eddiebadassdavis

Eddiebadassdavis Supply Officer

I like Rimmer's costume from series VII you know the blue baggy costume
    It looked liked he was some space adventurer

14. Asclepius

I liked this one in red colour more...

15. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

I liked his Admiral costume from Officer Rimmer, he should wear that more.

16. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

I want to see more of the Ouroboros alternate Red Dwarf crew uniforms.

17. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

The next series of Red Dwarf will surely be confirmed at this year’s Dimension Jump like it has been at that event in previous years too. If not, well looks like we’re going to be waiting for a time similar to that between 10 and 11/12. But I really hope this will not be case and can just sense the announcement will be this October especially given that Doug wants a thirteenth TV series before live shows.

In the meantime, I will do a Red Dwarf marathon watch from series 1 to 12 when the BBC series are re-released on blu-ray this October to get my dose of Red Dwarf. I remember watching all the series from May 3 years ago and I tend to watch them every 3 years to keep it all fresh. So as I am deciding this time to wait to get them in superior quality in October it is a pain but I will watch Doctor Who series 5 soon which should be good. Though I am hankering for watching some RD as it is already 3 years, I’ll just have to hope that the October 1st release date remains on track!

18. Asclepius

Every 3 years? I watch Red Dwarf 3 times a year. Am I weird?

19. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

You have a lot of time, that's all.

20. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

No you are certainly not weird to watch it 3 times a year instead of the every 3 years (or well longer now until the blu-ray set is released) for me to have a full Dwarf marathon.

I remember back in the early to mid 00s and some of the 90s too I used to watch it all the time. But nowadays - maybe because I watched it so much in the past or whatever reason - I find that if I leave 3 years in between a watch of all the series it keeps it feeling really fresh to return too.

But anyway, all the DVDs/Blu-rays I have I tend to leave 3 years between watches but there is always something to see still.

But one thing that I am delighted by the past few years is the way the 2 new series of RD have sandwiched these two Dwarf marathons three (or so) years apart. And I have watched each episode of series 11 and 12 four or five times which has kept me going for the past few years! Still must enjoy the summer but it will be great to have an autumn/winter of RD again and maybe a series 13 in 2019 I hope.