RED DWARF SPECIAL ANNOUNCED

Discussion in 'RED DWARF: THE PROMISED LAND' started by Asclepius, Oct 18, 2019.

1. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

That's funny. But to be honest I think the Ultra in my board name is a bit naff to be honest. It's okay but I almost feel like having it changed to just Devotee anyway. The Ultra came from Depeche Mode's 1997 album and the Devotee was paraphrased from their 1993 album (Songs of Faith and Devotion) as 6 years ago when I joined the forum I was playing a lot of that electro rock/pop band's music. But anyway tbh, I can't even bother getting it changed now.

2. UltraDevotee

Highly likely you are right regarding whether it would continue on from the end of 12...it's just I wasn't sure. And yes I would not like it to be a reboot like the movie was planned to be. It will be a new story anyway because the movie's plot was used in The Beginning so it will be interesting to see what Doug comes up with.

Regarding you're 2nd paragraph, I didn't want my post to come across as too downbeat, pessimistic and sceptical about the feature length episode just because we are not getting a full series this time. Although I am slightly disappointed there is no series 13 for now at least, like you I am ultimately very satisfied to be getting more new Red Dwarf material and can't wait. When more new Red Dwarf is commissioned so long after its debut in the 80s, it is just so exciting to see it announced on the internet. If Doug can pull it off - and his solo writing during the Dave years has got better and better - then hopefully it can be a truly magnificent special.

3. UltraDevotee

Regarding my comment about the ratings, well that was in Richard Naylor's 20 minutes Q and A on twitter, he stated that a series 13 would "like all TV depend on ratings." Although a lot of TV in the present day sees its viewing figures reduce over a series anyway and even though the 2nd half of series 12 saw its fall below a million they were still good considering Red Dwarf is not shown on one of the mainstream channels anymore and all the episodes bar one made the top 10 for the "other" channels' programmes. Still though, it is a shame that the viewership has gradually reduced with each passing Dave series - is that what Richard was potentially concerned about?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  4. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

I know right? I am so clever!

Will you request a Halloween and/or Christmas name?

5. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

Well, I'm also a bit disappointed there's not series 13, but I think that this special could be good twist for the show. Since series X Doug was very affraid to change something. But Red Dwarf was always very dynamic show, so it would be nice, if there was some change in the status quo, of course, if it would be written well.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    UltraDevotee likes this.
  6. Asclepius

I'd love more AA adverts. The one was good.
    Yes, it could be this case, but we can't forget, that XI and XII were previewed on UKTV Play and we have no ratings from it.
    I hope the special would be first on telly and then on the internet.

7. Nikki the Great

What if they all just die in this special and that's the end of RD forever?

Ant E and Asclepius like this.
  8. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

Yes I think airing the show on UKTV BEFORE it is on the main channel is a big mistake especially considering there are no ratings taken from it. It also takes away from the enjoyment of watching, as I don't have the resolve to wait until it is on at a later time in the evening and end up watching it as early as possible. It is just not the same watching at 10am in the morning as opposed to 9 at night with a beer and a curry. :-)

Asclepius and UltraDevotee like this.
  9. UltraDevotee

I can't really think of a different name for Halloween/Christmas tbh. Also, I thought we were all only allowed one name change on this updated forum...maybe I'm wrong though.

10. UltraDevotee

Whatever happens to the Dwarfers, if it is the finale to Red Dwarf I will just have to accept it unfortunately. I guess it can't go on forever as the show will be 32 years old when the special is broadcast. But if it is the final ever RD episode I hope it is obviously brilliantly written with a watertight script like Give and Take and I also hope the end would just be like Skipper/The Beginning were with the Dwarfers still continuing on with a sort of feeling of finality. And while I have warmed slightly to series 8's Only the Good... as after all it did not turn out to be the last ever RD show...if the 2020 special is the genuine finale no unresolved, surreal cliff hangers ever again, please.

Still if Red Dwarf is not just confined to a live show after this TV special next year, then maybe if we are very fortunate there might even be another/other special(s) if the format is successful or maybe even another full series?

Just have to wait and find out...but for now anticipate what has actually been commissioned.

Asclepius likes this.
  11. Nikki the Great

We're sometimes allowed Halloween or Christmas names. I don't think we got Halloween ones last year though and the Christmas name change request is still a sticky from last year, so it all feels quite hopeless right now :-(

12. UltraDevotee

I 100% agree with this. Not only does it harm the TV ratings but for the people previewing it early it must not be the same surely, like you say, not following the series 1-10 tradition of 9 pm on a Thursday/Friday night on the telly. I don't know whether some people preferred to watch it in their own time but I personally waited the whole week later to watch all the series 11/12 episodes when actually broadcast on Dave. Though it was perhaps fun for some people to stay up late to preview the next show after the previous one had its TV broadcast, I found it IMHO more Dwarfy to stick to convention.

But bottom line, none of my business I know, but if I was UKTV I would show the special first on the TV so they can get the best viewership possible.

13. UltraDevotee

It's official, we have got more brand new Red Dwarf to look forward to hopefully in spring next year and there is no 4 year hiatus this time, so ultimately I should be and am very happy.

14. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Supply Officer

From what was reported the previews broke online viewing records for UKTV :-)

15. Asclepius

Yes, they said that series XI had around 2 million views on UKTV Play, but we don't know the numbers for actual episodes and I think they haven't said anything about XII.

16. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Supply Officer

UltraDevotee and Asclepius like this.
  17. Asclepius

18. Asclepius

Pembers likes this.
  19. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Can you remember the last time you talked about red dwarf on here?

I can’t... ;-)

Nikki the Great and Asclepius like this.
  20. Nikki the Great

Probably not, seeing how I have no idea what this red dwarf even is.

Asclepius likes this.