RED DWARF SPECIAL ANNOUNCED

Discussion in 'RED DWARF: THE PROMISED LAND' started by Asclepius, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

This forum has nothing to do with Red Dwarf. It's the Tex Rimmer fan club.

Nikki the Great likes this.
  2. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Nope

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

No Dave Benson Phillips in that photo, which is a big shame.

4. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

So in fact the viewing figures - when taking into account those for the previews which you kindly directed us all too - were even better for series 12. So surely - barring an unexpected catastrophe - the rating for the special will hopefully and probably be good enough to pave the way for a potential full series 13. To get over 2 million viewers for Red Dwarf 12 is really special as obviously it is no longer on one of the mainstream channels anymore.

I'm not going to go into again why - with this excellent viewership - they did not just decide to go straight to a full series 13 because I would be going round in circles and instead I will just be ultimately delighted we are getting more new Red Dwarf material next year.

Additionally, the previews on UKTV Play are obviously effective in pulling in an audience but if the Red Dwarf team are really more concerned about the actual TV rating then clearly they would have to reconsider showing the special first on the internet this time.

Still, none of my business and although I will still watch it upon Dave broadcast in 2020 as I prefer it that way due to my preference for the TV and watching the atmospheric, traditional way like I did and everyone had to with series 1-10 - clearly the preview system is popular and unless Doug and etc. are genuinely concerned about the TV ratings then fair enough that it remains in place for next year.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  5. UltraDevotee

So Seb's update (thank you) states that it is in no way intended to be a "Red Dwarf movie" - just a feature length episode - which I must say I am satisfied with.

Regarding the broadcast date obviously - despite Richard Naylor stating he was hoping for April on his twitter last Friday - there is still no real idea yet. I suppose if it was later in 2020 then that would be okay too as it will be even more atmospherically Dwarfy to watch it on one of those darker nights, but saying that April would be fair enough too and faster and anyway it is dusk by 9pm even at that time in spring I think, so you could still channel that space feeling of the evening if it was indeed shown Easter or sometime then. If it was April then that would be 2 years and a half on from the series 12 finale so that would be a plus point for a date around then rather than 3 years on.

Still, none of my business I know, but I am just really craving this new Dwarf after a great Dwarfathon and mini-Dwarfathon I embarked on both this year, and it will obviously depend on how long it takes to post-produce anyway.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  6. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

You forgot we can't mention Tex Rimmer in this section?

Nikki the Great likes this.
  7. Asclepius

April air date would be great, because it would mean we're now less than half a year away form new Red Dwarf (and the shooting hasn't even started). It would also draw more attention to Dimension Jump at the end of May.
    Otherwise Dimension Jump would be like: "Oh, we know everything about the special, but we can't tell you, but we can sing you Tongue Tied for zillion time."

Ant E and Nikki the Great like this.
  8. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

I love you Smurfy :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Asclepius likes this.
  9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Only Dave Benson Phillips references then?

Nikki the Great and Asclepius like this.
  10. Asclepius

Exactly. :nod:

11. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Careful not to upset the fan club peeps. We all know they secretly run this site and hate us all

Asclepius and Nikki the Great like this.
  12. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

I have high hopes that the newest representative of TORDFC can mend some fences.

Ant E likes this.
  13. dvd3500

dvd3500 Supply Officer

I sure hope I can get the Blu Ray once you are behind the Brexit curtain...

14. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

Bollocks !

15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Not a Tex Rimmer fan then?

sundayforsammy likes this.
  16. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

Wow! your ability to read so deeply into that @Bluey is amazing. :-D:-D:-D 8-)

Bluey likes this.
  17. UltraDevotee

Agreed. I really hope it will be an April broadcast date and in this country at about 9 at that time of year it does tend to be dusk so it should still be Dwarfy enough, atmospherically speaking of course.

If it is April (BTW, when is Easter next year, if it was like the revival special and shown then?) then I think it would be great if Doug could pull off the special at this time unlike Back to Earth, which was a bit lacklustre and the weakest Dwarf (mini)-series.

Still though, Back to Earth was not completely without merit because in my 2015 Dwarfathon while I still thought it was the least strong RD, I still liked it and after all it was Doug getting himself back on the writing bicycle. For some reason in this year's Red Dwarf marathon watch I wasn't so keen on it...but hopefully that might change next time. Still whatever, it got the massive viewing figures on the digital channels needed to provide a full revival so whatever my opinion is towards it in the past, present and future it has a lot to be grateful for.

Still, hopefully this 2020 special can be of quality that is up there with the finest RD and get RD in long-form right!

18. Asclepius

19. dvd3500

dvd3500 Supply Officer

Interesting that he is calling it Red Dwarf 13 when I think Richard Naylor said that hadn't been decided or that wasn't the case or something similar...

20. Asclepius

I don't know. Droid rot or computer senility...