Red Dwarf : The Promised Land

Discussion in 'RED DWARF: THE PROMISED LAND' started by Jape of The Decade, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Smegzoid

Smegzoid Third Technician

I for one loved it. I've seen some negativity about the beginning scene though. But I thought the sex change skit was funny. it had me laughing. ;-) I think it's all subjective so no problem. I can't think of a single modern comedy i find funny. though i'd be willing to give one a go if i get suggestions ;-)

Overall a top notch episode. The laser gag at the end was signposted but it worked for me.

I'm a big Doctor Who and sci-fi fan and this beat the crap out of the last two seasons of that.

The emotional depth they drew out of the Lister and Rimmer scene was genuinely touching.

I guess the only thing I don't like is not knowing if it's the end or whether more RD is around the corner.

After this showing it has to be well on the cards ;-)

2. Jape of The Decade

Jape of The Decade First Technician

After watching it again I still think it's the best Dwarf Dave have made so far.

The 90 format gives it a chance to breath, the cast and characters are all on great form and it's funny!

My only issue, as other people have mentioned, is the Cat race do seem rather 'silly'. Just like the Simulant crew from The Beginning. Rodon was awesome but the others, not so much!

Everything else was great though, the jokes, the effects, the dialogue between the characters.

I almost gave up on the concept of the show 'returning to form' after some recent series but this really made me smile.

Doug can still deliver and I look forward to seeing more of these! :-)

3. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

Yes, for me the 3 clerics were very weak. I have seen the 'other actress' in Ricky Gervais' Afterlife and although she played a similar simple character I thought she played it well in Afterlife, no so good in Red Dwarf.

Nikki the Great likes this.
  4. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

5. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

It one was of those "silly, but funny" scenes, series X style. A lot of people was offended by it and said it was transphobic. I don't see why. It didn't attack transsexuals in any way. It was just Lister and Cat arguing who would make a better woman.

6. Asclepius

I liked Ludo in particular. He was quite reminiscent of someone from our political scene here.

It was shame their end was so rushed...

7. Smegzoid

Smegzoid Third Technician

yeah I thought it was just funny how they both thought they'd make the hotter chick ;-)

8. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

Well the BARB consolidated rating was in this afternoon and it was 1,666,200 for the Dave Total viewers that watched The Promised Land. Although it may not be as high as Back to Earth Episode 1 (highly unlikely anyway) or Trojan it is bigger than both the series 11 and 12 openers. I probably did expect it to be higher because there was no preview option online this time - which I was very pleased about - but as it is only a few 100 thousand below Trojan I think this is a significant result for a plus 32 year old sci-fi sitcom and will hopefully pave the way for a future series and/or special eventually. Congratulations Doug, the Dwarfers and all the Red Dwarf team for such excellent success and "please sir, can I have some more?"

PS. This figure does not include PC, Tablet and Smartphone viewings for some reason.

Asclepius likes this.
  9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Didn't Back to Earth part 1 get like 4 million viewers? it dropped to about over a million by part 3. and its where the show has stayed since.

Although its abit like series 8 really. when its said it had 8 million viewers, what it means is that the first episode had 8 million viewers and then it went down after that to around 6 to 4.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  10. Asclepius

I hope they will release figures from UKTV Play too, it seems uncomplete without online ratings.

11. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

IMHO, I still think that is a rather strong result for The Promised Land 32 years on from RD's debut, no longer on a mainstream channel and - although I shouldn't really compare with the last episode in the previous series because the viewing figures were naturally going down by that point in the run anyway - trumps the 0.8 million that Skipper got, thankfully.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  12. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

I think it was easy to count viewers when we only had telly, now that we have so many viewing options with legal and illegal streaming I don't think figure counting means much.

13. smegrightoff

smegrightoff Third Technician

I loved that Doug wasn't scared of the modern bully culture/cancel culture cultivated by faux-intellectual self-obsessed idiots that think they have the right to control what others say and think.

I love that we get an answer to why Cat is obsessed with coolness despite the fact that we are told that Cloisteranity dictates "it is a sin to be cool".

I love that Lister has licked beetle dung.

I love that we've finally seen the remainder of the Felix Sapiens race and they aren't how they were written in the lost Series VII episode.

I loved the Rimmer uniform cycle scene.

I loved the laser pen gags.

There are a lot of small things that I could nitpick as an obsessive fan but I think there's so much to love that I don't really want to waste time over the little negative details - the little negative things count for nothing in the grand scheme of things. The entire moviepisode is a solid 9/10 for me.

UltraDevotee likes this.
  14. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

Lol, knew I recognised that account name! Hi Cedric Smegric aka Danny's friend Pat aka Danny. What exactly can we help you with this time?

Asclepius likes this.
  15. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Cat shouldn't need a reason. he never looked like he was trying to be cool. it was just a natural instinct for him.

let alone the idea that the cats brother left him because he wasn't cool enough or something. which in itself complicates logic. the whole sin to be cool thing doesn't count in this respect.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  16. Asclepius

It means to the TV channel, which commissions possible future episodes.

17. Underdunn

Underdunn Deck Sergeant

Another fake identity? I don't know about 'obsessive fan' - obsessive something, that's for sure. Endlessly wearing masks and trying doors, all these years later. It's just so creepy and strange, I don't get it, this isn't normal behaviour.

18. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I agree with this, it’s part of why I feel this special failed to stick the landing. In general feel the writing got much sloppier when they return to Red Dwarf. And that revelation with Cat was unnecessary, weak, and also creates one of the biggest plot holes in the show’s history. I don’t mind the idea of things rattling Cats’ cool, but I feel it kinda cheapens that aspect of his personality to give him a reason for it, I much prefer the idea that it’s just how he is!

19. Asclepius

Who expects Danny to behave normally?

(LOL, these forum irreguals must think we talk about Danny John-Jules. :lol:)

20. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Hang on a minute, who are you?