Red Dwarf : The Promised Land

Discussion in 'RED DWARF: THE PROMISED LAND' started by Jape of The Decade, Apr 9, 2020.

1. H is for Hologram

H is for Hologram Third Technician

I just realized that I don't know who any of you are!

Ant E likes this.
  2. roebeet

roebeet Second Technician

[SPOILER ALERT of course]

Managed to catch this finally from the other side of the pond (it will be on my purchase list though, whenever it gets released here / when the postal service allows it).

Time will ultimately tell if repeat views will hold up, but overall I enjoyed it. Some lag here and there but some really laugh out loud moments. And a few touching moments too, but not overdrawn. Plus I liked that Rimmer did NOT turn into Ace, but into another super character instead. And the end was typical Dwarf and wrapped it up quick nicely.

Not perfect of course -- the whole brother thing seemed a bit tacked on and really wasn't necessary, for example. But really only minor quibbles. I think this will get a number of rewatches, just like how I've enjoyed series 10-12 over the years.

UltraDevotee likes this.
  3. roebeet

roebeet Second Technician

Their characters were weak, I agree. But since they didn't get too much screen time other than an outlet for Lister's guilt and for a few laughs overall, I guess it could have been much worse.

Still, would have been interesting to have them used for other sub-plots / flesh out their characters but perhaps there simply wasn't enough time for that.

4. Smegzoid

Smegzoid Third Technician

Yeah still respectable figures. BTE and Trojan were always going to be ratings winners. BTE was coming off the long hiatus and Trojan was the first ep of a true new 6 part series.

Whereas The Promised Land has coming off the back of two consistent series without the big break in between.

I watched it again yesterday and it was even better for me this time around. I didn't have the nerves of hoping for quality.

And I still found the opening skit about who'd make the more attractive chick funny so bite me haha

5. Eddiebadassdavis

Eddiebadassdavis Supply Officer

you're offended easily

Asclepius, Nikki the Great and Ant E like this.
  6. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

@bedfordfalls just couldn’t bring himself to like it so has to dissect every line.

Nikki the Great likes this.
  7. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

Honestly...the sex change thing. Are people REALLY offended over it, or do they just feel they HAVE to be in our current social climate?

Hear me out. I'm as liberal as they come, to the point of being hippieish. But a lot of this new trend of social justice warriors virtue signalling and telling us how we can and can't think, what should or shouldn't offend us and worst of all what we shouldn't laugh at just pisses me off and makes me embarrassed to seemingly share political views with them. Mostly cos if you scratch the surface of these people, you find they're just horrible people anyway who just want to boss people about with their loud opinions.

I comfort myself by separating them from people who are genuinely liberal/care about social issues, by calling them libtards (which would probably trigger them cos of the tard part).

Having said all that, I didn't find all the sex change stuff funny, just cos I didn't find any of the whole thing funny. But not in a "I'm offended" way, it just wasn't my humour. But I'd never tell other people they were bad for laughing at it. There are bigger problems in the world. Real problems. Chill out people.

Asclepius, Underdunn and Ant E like this.
  8. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Yeah be offended that it wasn’t that funny, not that they said the words “sex” and “change”!

I wonder what @neilold thinks of it?

9. neilold

neilold Science Officer

Thinks of what?

10. Alexandra

Alexandra First Technician

It's not the funniest part of the special but it's not sexist. First time in my life joke like that didn't sound like being women is bad thing.

Abe and Nikki the Great like this.
  11. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

Yeah, I didn't find the joke offensive. A lot of people raged about it, but they never mention any reason, why they think it's offensive/transphobic/whatever.

12. Underdunn

Underdunn Deck Sergeant

Some people consider 'sex change' an outdated term and argue that sex when referring to gender is not something biological and has nothing to do with what physical organs etc you may or may not possess. Therefore if Lister or Cat identify as male then you could make any physical adjustments to them that you like, but they won't 'change sex' and to suggest otherwise is therefore offensive to those with that school of thought. They also don't entertain or accept the notion of someone having a different interpretation of what the definition of sex/gender is; that person would simply be considered wrong and believed to be either ignorant or hateful.

My guess for the majority of people who raged about the joke for the above reasons, is that they themselves are probably cist, white, straight individuals with more flags above their social media banners than the United Nations. It's best to ignore them, dismiss the joke for what it was - ie rubbish - and move on to more important things.

Asclepius and Nikki the Great like this.
  13. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I'd imagine some people simply didn't have the patience to see it through, as typically when such a subject gets brought up in a comedy (especially one like Red Dwarf) it almost certainly gets handled poorly and does end offensively. I certainly felt a tension in myself as I watched as the setup for a joke in rather poor taste was only a quick setup away through most of it. So I'm not sure I can blame someone who already wasn't much of an RD fan and just rolled their eyes and turned it off without seeing it through, but the people broadcasting their certainty about the absolute offensiveness of it to the world on Twitter are just taking advantage of the site's sole purpose, that being its ability to amplify posts with any level of shock to them, true or not.

Oh, and mind you, the most clueless attention-seekers full of stupid takes that made early/mid-2010s Tumblr famous all migrated to Twitter around December 12, 2018.

14. Smegzoid

Smegzoid Third Technician

I'm surprised people are still talking about the sex change scene.

The things I found funny about the scene were the expressions of Cat and Lister. Then both getting upset about who would make the best woman. Then Rimmers reaction lol

I seem to remember people got upset when 'slag' was used in series ten. But that didn't even register with me until I saw the complaints.

And don't even get me started about Taiwan Tony. Half my family is Chinese through marriage and a good few have good English. Not a single one of them was bothered in the slightest about the voice and I've even got a couple of them into RD.

Ant E likes this.
  15. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

@simulant37 was one of those said people. Wasn’t he @Bluey?

16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Simulant was one of what people?

17. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

He's asking if @simulant37 was @Bluey. Maybe try reading the question next time.

Ant E likes this.
  18. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Too hard to understand if you read the supporting quote??!!:roll:

19. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I don't recall Simulant's opinion on anything in that episode. And I don't care about it either.

20. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

Being too PC correct is what will destroy the human race dude.

H is for Hologram likes this.