Red Dwarf : The Promised Land

Discussion in 'RED DWARF: THE PROMISED LAND' started by Jape of The Decade, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Alexandra

Alexandra First Technician

What is happening last few years? I am seriously sick of this conversations on internet.

2. Jape of The Decade

Jape of The Decade First Technician

I think the ONLY way forward is to reboot the whole franchise with an all new female cast.

They should all be mixed race and the girl who plays Lister needs to portray a much stronger female representation. Maybe make her bisexual so there could be a potential love interest between her and the new female Rimmer?

The name of the show would need to change as its offensive to small people so maybe
    "Red Person"

Although, Red is kinda racist towards people with sunburn so maybe just "Person".

I think this could be a very exciting new venture for the future of the show... :-)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    sundayforsammy and Mardroid like this.
  3. Jape of The Decade

I am so bored.. :-(

4. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I wasn’t offended by it per-say, I didn’t think it was a mean spirited just, but at the same time maybe a little tactless. I mean the second I heard it I wondered how that joke was going to fly, not because I saw it as a jab at trans folk, but rather few maybe a little too close to the sun regarding the subject. Maybe I worried about it more because of the fact Ziggy from Timewave was legitimately offensive, and I don’t wanna see Red Dwarf as being seen as nothing more then a relic of the past. I will say that I don’t think the joke was offensive in of itself though!

5. Smegzoid

Smegzoid Third Technician

I read about the Ziggy character offending people. But who did It offend? It didn't offend me. The people I know just found him funny.

6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

People found Ziggy funny? I guess anything and everything can be funny to someone.

I think the problem with Ziggy is several things. for one thing, if you find camp funny then you will probably like him. second is that is Ziggy meant to be gay? presumably yes, if his overly camp nature says anything. and how does this portray gay people? that if you take away criticism that they will want to run around in a pink dress outfit on a fantasy horse? there was no thought that maybe thats going abit far as some weird stereotype for some inner desire?

IMO camp comedy is a certain type of cheap comedy. one that i think Red Dwarf is too good for. but apparently Doug decided its time to bring that element in at least twice because funny i guess? maybe if this was BBC comedy in the 70-80s and even then Red Dwarf was better than that.

Abe likes this.
  7. Today's Fish...

Today's Fish... Third Technician

It didn't occur to me for a second that Ziggy was intended to be gay.

8. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I thought the clothes, and the Paul Lynde impersonation was kinda a tip off!

9. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

Sure, he didn't exactly have sex with a man on screen, but it's easy to guess intentions when he ticked every box on the homophobic stereotype list.

10. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

Whether Ziggy was homosexual or not, he was the most annoying character to ever appear on Red Dwarf.

sundayforsammy likes this.
  11. Jape of The Decade

I can barely remember Ziggy in all honesty. It's the only episode of RD I haven't watched more than once...

12. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

13. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

After my first view upon initial broadcast on April 9th, I rated it minimum an 8/10. On my second watch yesterday afternoon - especially good without the annoying, lengthy ad breaks - I think it is an 8.5. I possibly would not say it is quite on a par with Give and Take, Twentica, Skipper but it is certainly on the level of Officer Rimmer and Mechocracy. What prevents it from being definite classic Dwarf is the ending - although mostly satisfying in a Russell T Davies early New Who style - has a slight bit of Deus ex machina through the Anubis stone. Also there is an occasional wasted line or there is the odd recycled old joke too far at times. Also although the visual effects are generally pretty excellent and much better than BtE, I miss the models of old which looked great in series 11/12 which was only a few years ago.

But it is definitely very strong and a very enjoyable romp to fill up an afternoon with a scintillating range of styles from comedy to action via a dramatic middle where the laughs are toned down and it is some of finest emotive RD material ever. If not totally vintage, it is genuinely really good and perhaps my score is slightly harsh due to the comparison with the indomitable level that RD was at in series 2-6. But still I think 8.5/10 is fair for now and the majority of the critics who rated it 4 stars were probably right IMHO. Just have to see what I think when I re-watch it another couple of times in the next 2 months, but it is just great for now to have new Red Dwarf to experience.

14. Jape of The Decade

15. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

16. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Agreed. And Chris Barrie is 6 now? Really?

Ant E likes this.
  17. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

Yes, but he's really mature for his age. I mean, he can read for ages.

Ant E likes this.
  18. Jape of The Decade

19. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

That appears to be the Dane one you posted earlier

20. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

Wait no it isn’t, I just opened it earlier. I have had some Punk IPA, I’m sorry.