Red Dwarf : The Promised Land

Discussion in 'RED DWARF: THE PROMISED LAND' started by Jape of The Decade, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Oops. I really didn't notice I'd dropped a '0' there. That's what I get for typing stuff quickly on my phone and not checking.

Kittypaws, Asclepius and Ant E like this.
  2. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

Watched it again yesterday on the Blu-Ray. As it happens quite a lot with Red Dwarf rewatches, I get used to the annoying bits and enjoy the episode even with them. This time, the whole Cat being Rodon's brother thing felt less terrible.

The beginning is just a collection of jokes and funny situations put together without any sense. Some of them are quite good though.

Norman Lovett as Holly is great. His lines are the highlight of the special and they're very good even in comparison with the classic Dwarf too.
    On the other hand, I've noticed some bad acting from Craig and Danny. The acting of the three clerics didn't feel so annoying this time (I probably got used to it too), but the other cats are sometimes really poor, trying to imitate the behaviour of real cats. Rodon and Ludo are probably the only guest stars with decent performances, both well written too.

For the Blu-Ray, it just looks great. The special effects are very best in Red Dwarf history and it's good to see them in HD. I imagine this would look great even on the big screen.
    I've also noticed how much make-up is there on Craig's and Chris' faces. It looks weird and unnatural.

dvd3500 likes this.
  3. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

Nice thoughts. I rewatched it again Monday last week and I totally agree with you about Norman's acting and the way he is written by Doug. When you think about it he isn't in it massively long (he is the oldest Dwarfer after all now) but he certainly makes relatively little go a very long way. For a start, I like the contrast with his initial appearance when he is Queeg-like and then later when he is updated to his last save when he obviously returns to his "What's happening dudes?" self. I liked him as a joke cracking tool in series 8 a lot but in Skipper and The Promised Land his lines are more like his series 1/2 material which is even funnier. It's simply an excellent, memorable performance from him and a welcome proper return - and yes I even love the floppy disc gag too a lot!

dvd3500 and Ant E like this.
  4. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Who are you?

5. Spaceman

Spaceman Deck Sergeant

Ant-Man sounds like you're trying to cause a bit of trouble again and in space man's presence no less.you have no business asking people who they are like your like some kind of god-like figure here. You're not the god-like figure of this place based on knows a lot about gods and you're not one of them.don't ever try to be funny like this ever again you should be welcoming please people to our place here not trying to scare them away like you're some kind of crazy guard person.

[​IMG]
    Spaceman is very disappointed in you Ant-Man.

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Well that's you told, Ant.

7. Spaceman

Spaceman Deck Sergeant

And YOU can be quiet as well blue!!!?????? Or you will face this guy:

[​IMG]

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

And I guess that's me told too.

9. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Errr I’m trying to get old members back!!! I’m very welcoming :sulk:

10. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Although yes, I love trouble!!!

11. kochanskitis

kochanskitis Third Technician

At some point i need to rewatch the 'promised land'. At the time i found it rather more miss than hit despite my excitement beforehand at the cat arc.

12. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

So are you saying you felt it was a bit of a boob?

Asclepius likes this.
  13. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

:lol: