Red Dwarf : The Promised Land

Discussion in 'RED DWARF: THE PROMISED LAND' started by Jape of The Decade, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Simulant is long gone as far as I know.

2. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

That was really good. So glad they set everything up in act 1, no deus ex machin here.

Ant E likes this.
  3. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

I was dead worried 2 hours would drag, but it was great! Whizzed by and left me wanting more.

Alexandra and UltraDevotee like this.
  4. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

Not too shabby. Was quite good. Can't beat a good old 6 part series though.

5. Presuming Ken

Rodon was excellent btw.

Ant E likes this.
  6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It ended pretty well. I need to give this another watch when I'm more in the mood for it. The revelation that Rimmer had become their god gave me the biggest laugh of the whole thing.

UltraDevotee and Ant E like this.
  7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes, he was.

8. Presuming Ken

Also, anything that points out the ridiculousness of religion in such a fine way (once again) deserves plaudits :thumbup:

9. Marv83

Marv83 Skutter

Rimmer, Arnold Rimmer Rimmer Rimmy Rimmer Rimmy Rimmer, Arnold Rimmer..

I truely loved this episode, I hope they will make a few more seasons, RD never bores!

10. bilbobagenz

bilbobagenz Second Technician

11. Marv83

Marv83 Skutter

thanks!

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I did actually get quite emotional when Rimmer appeared to have sacrificed and Cat showed some positive-ish emotions towards him.

13. dazsin

dazsin First Technician

Really enjoyed it!! Makes me wish it was a full series. Laughed out loud several times, Holly was on top form. Just ordered the Blu-Ray, for the collection!
    Will watch this again tomorrow, I always enjoy the big budget episodes more the second time around.

UltraDevotee likes this.
  14. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

That was brilliant in my opinion. Had me laughing a lot. Excellently acted. Great guest actors. Just a shame we won't get more!

Also..
    do you reckon I'm right in thinking this was essentially the film version long said to be in the works, which never quite happened? But then adapted for the here and now, and for TV? I mean, it had many similar traits as the long rumoured RD film...e.g. the Dwarfers finding the cat race who left the Dwarf etc. ????

15. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

It was ok. i was expecting to hate it. but i enjoyed 75% of it.

Some pacing issues. you can tell at times Doug was padding it abit. and he perhaps put too many ideas that did not really add to anything. the villain being the Cats brother was like a 10 second thing. the saving Kryten thing came out of no where really.

Sadly i don't think Holly's addition really did much for it. the later reveal to use his backup to bring back old holly was something i don't get why they did not do much earlier. and red dwarf has missiles that can blow up a moon?

And as a long wait for a cat race episode... i dunno if this was worth the wait. alot of the elements set up in Waiting for God really did not get mentioned. the hats, the wars over them ect ect.

I am glad the villain wasn't a joke villain. i like the attempts at pathos. i like the threat and when the story was moving at a solid pace along with the laughs i actually enjoyed it.

16. Cloud

Cloud Flight Co-Ordinator

I liked it. I had fun. I didn't think it was laugh out loud funny the entire time or anything but I liked the story. Was nic to have something to look forward to and just sit and enjoy after a pretty grim past few weeks.

Pembers, Asclepius and dazsin like this.
  17. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Oh hang on Talkie Scorsese has arrived :roll:

18. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

Hmmmmmm! There were some cute moments with the main cast. The story pulled together fine...but...it wasn't funny to me personally, I'm sorry to say. The 2 hour running time felt very long too. Please don't hate me :-(

19. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Loving everything is more fake. its just wishful thinking.

Ant E likes this.
  20. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Conclusion: I really loved it. It was entertaining throughout and although it needed a few scenes to hit it's pace it delivered in spades for me.

Positives:

Room for ideas to breathe.
    Nice pathos and good character work mixed with engaging action.
    Most story threads actually had a purpose.
    Mostly the comedy was a good mix of nostalgic tradition and amusing new material.

Negatives:

Doug really still can't get that opening "joke" scene right. I'm not talking about the cat scene, which was good, but the laborious sex change stuff. It reminded me of pig racing and all the other junk openers from the Dave era. Someone desperately needs to tell him to chop these. We know Red Dwarf is a comedy, it doesn't need an irrelevant stand-up gig to explain this.
    Also, the point of Lister becoming an alcoholic pac-rat was what exactly?

Unsure:

What exactly was inside the Anubis stone?

Did we really need this much "rebooting" in terms of re-establishing a 35 year old plot to the audience? There was a lot of "remember this from the pilot." expository stuff happening.
    Honestly, does Red Dwarf really need to be introducing itself to a new audience at this point?

Unexplored:

Cat and Rodon are brothers but this is all dealt with in a single scene? It would have been nice for this to be explored with a scene between the two, ideally by jettisoning the rubbish first scene with the crew.

UltraDevotee likes this.