Red Dwarf : The Promised Land

Discussion in 'RED DWARF: THE PROMISED LAND' started by Jape of The Decade, Apr 9, 2020.

1. bilbobagenz

bilbobagenz Second Technician

The Cat was never in Stasis so his time line should run along with his brother, just the issue that the fleet was built in 30 years or so, all of this if you ignore , rimmer world, black hole time dialation, time running backwards in nodnol but to name a few, so take it as possible.
    Anyway huge thanks to all responsible for bringing us some more Red Dwarf for us to enjoy to take our minds of whats currently going on.

Keep it up

2. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

Re Rimmers outfit. I suspect that Chris Barrie has a new least favourite costume (after the series 6 'padding'). It must now be the one with the moobs.

And as others have said, the 'brothers' revelation was almost a slip of the tongue. That should've been the crux of the final quarter at least.

Ah well, still was a good tale with some funny bits. I think it could have worked as a 30 minuter though...

But always nice to have RD back. Except series 8 of course. That never happened.

Alexandra likes this.
  3. Presuming Ken

And don't forget the start of Psirens :proud:

To be fair though, Red Dwarf and continuity errors is what cow sh!t is to a field. All over the place and try as you might to avoid it, you'll end up treading in it.

4. NealosTWO

NealosTWO Skutter

With the crew being brought back as slapstick idiots, when they were totally normal people in series 1 and 2. I wish they would address that as nanomachines getting it wrong by filling in the blanks with the 4 idiots on starbug as templates

Presuming Ken likes this.
  5. Jape of The Decade

Jape of The Decade First Technician

I was an hour or so behind you guy's as it came up on demand sooner than expected.

They've split it into two parts. .

I really need to watch this again before giving it too much thought but overally I really it :-)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    UltraDevotee likes this.
  6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

According to Chris in interviews, he wanted to wear it longer.

7. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

No dude, aside from Psirens there were several other episode where the crew went into long term stasis, Nanarchy being one of them. We are definately hundreds of years removed from the original date when Lister woke up.

Ant E likes this.
  8. Presuming Ken

That's p!ssed on my chips then. Must be the new Ace Rimmer wig feeling then :-)

9. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

The logic that the Cat was the least cool of them all is weird. because honestly not many of them would be considered cool. i get it that it was there to give The Cat something. but i kinda wish it wasn't there.

10. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

This was definitely Doug's dream coming true, but I'm not sure if it was mine.

I liked it mostly, but some bits were slightly awkward. You can feel the balancing between drama and comedy and I must say I liked more that dramatic side. The comedy sometimes seemed as a compilation of jokes in a row (especially in the beginning).

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

That really felt like padding to me.

12. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I guess travelling such long distances it’s possible Rodon also spent time in stasis at some point. Or maybe the felis sapiens species are just long lived.

I enjoyed that a lot,
    aside from the magic Anubis stone resolution. It felt rather contrived, but I might have missed something. Am I correct that it’s essentially a very powerful battery?

13. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

Oh, this sounds too negative. I liked it, but some bits felt out of space. The Cat being Rodon's brother seemed very rushed. It was like in Spectre, really.

14. bedfordfalls

At the time of their departure...let's not forget they also left his father, the jellybrain who ate his own feet.

The implication seemed to be explaining the cat's ridiculous obsession with coolness (while never properly understanding it) as a reaction to the trauma of being rejected for this.

Long term, it doesn't make sense though, since the cats who left Red Dwarf did so under the religious banner of abstaining from coolness and Rodon surely rose up as a rejection of that.

Overall I could have done without the whole "I'm your brother" bit. It, along with the stupid sex change stuff, was something that didn't need to be in the script.

15. Jape of The Decade

There were some really good moments.

None of them being able to tell the cats Lister isn't God. Rebooting Holly's back up with a large floppy risk. But my favourite had to the scene with Lister and Rimner on Starbug.

I was a bit dubious with Holly's reappeance at first but it seemed too pay off in the second half.

Giving it 90 mins definatley gave it more chance for the characters to be explored and I think could be a nice way forward for new Dwarf, if we get anymore :-)

The story with the cats felt, insignificant, a bit silly and a bit more like a subplot.

I'm not sure if it was just me but even for a special did the ending not seem a bit rushed?

Overally, very much enjoyed this. Lots of laugh out loud moment's and a vast emprovement to their last attempt to do this in 2009.

Hopefully we'll get more in the not too distant future ✌️

Alexandra likes this.
  16. bedfordfalls

I will again preface this by saying that I loved this special.

However, from what I've read elsewhere, pretty much the one uniting criticism is the first "reestablish the crew" scene.

I agree with those criticisms that it was both uncomfortably tone deaf in it's attempt at humour in 2020, unfunny and largely pointless to the plot. Someone really needs to address this with Doug as it's been the one overriding issue of the Dave era. It's quite common in writing to find your first scene the most choppable and all that sex change stuff really should have gone. Again and again in the Dave era we've seen first scenes feature poor quality warmup humour that is dwarfed by the nuanced stuff that comes later. It's really quite strange and I feel like tighter editing could fix this.
    Studio audiences laughing out of pure excitement may also be to blame.

Honestly, with the quality that exists in the rest of these shows it's really strange to me that these opening scenes keep dropping the ball.

17. Jape of The Decade

Yeah I was hoping he would to :-)

18. CaptainBollocks

CaptainBollocks Second Technician

Well worth the wait. I'm wholly and truly satisfied, and honestly my faith in Red Dwarf has been bolstered triple by that. Cleary the show, Doug, and the cast still have the energy and heart.

I demand more specials!

UltraDevotee likes this.
  19. Jarvio

Jarvio Second Technician

I thought it was pretty good really. Not too heavy on the comedy IMO, but I definitely enjoyed what we got, and also enjoyed the emotional stuff too.

Do we know if we're getting any more Dwarf? I hope so.

I was half expecting Ace Rimmer to show up when they were upgrading Rimmer, but alas, still no Ace Rimmer in the Dave era.

Holly becoming his 'old self' again definitely brought a smile to my face.

UltraDevotee and Ant E like this.
  20. CaptainBollocks

CaptainBollocks Second Technician

My favourite bits:

• Rodon. Brilliant casting of Ray Fearon. Combines humour and threat flawlessly and steals the opening scene.
    • The flashfoward to Lister and Cat in beards.
    • Rimmer dragging around power leads through the ship's corridors.
    • Cat getting converted.
    • Kryten's five-hundred-yard stare at Rimmer when asked if he likes him (best comedic moment by far)
    • "You're moonlight, smeghead."
    • Rimmer tricking reboot Holly into installing old Holly's memories and personality, the build-up was great with reboot Holly thinking he'd be downloading all his wisdom and knowledge was hilarious.
    • Holly blowing up the moon.
    • Rimmer's apparent sacrifice.
    • The cat fleet turning into an 'H'.