Red Dwarf : The Promised Land

Discussion in 'RED DWARF: THE PROMISED LAND' started by Jape of The Decade, Apr 9, 2020.

1. neilold

neilold Science Officer

Great to see you back hubbs, hope you stay a while

2. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

This is kinda an issue i have with Modern Dwarf in general. i did not hate the special but there are several things id strip out or just trim down and i think it id have enjoyed it far more. there are actually fan edits of series 10 on youtube and they are actually improvements.

I am glad he did not do an ace Rimmer impression as Diamond light. i think it separated him enough from the character of Ace.

As for the Red Laser. i think he is meant to be a superhero whose powers come from controlling light, and a red laser light was something he was able to do i guess.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  3. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I wasn't so bothered about the red laser pointer thing because Rimmer is a being of light, after all. Although it was a hell of a gamble to assume that would work on the cats in such a high pressure situation. Especially since Rimmer could probably have zipped over there and destroyed their ship himself. (But, yes, I know it was just a gag.) I was more bothered by Rimmer being able to turn other objects into light that could pass through bulkheads and stuff.

And why, when zipping about the ship as a willow-the-whisp didn't he just take a direct path instead of sticking to corridors? I'm thinking about it too much. It looked cool.

4. H is for Hologram

H is for Hologram Third Technician

Was Rimmer never told why he was brought back as a hologram?

5. H is for Hologram

H is for Hologram Third Technician

I just assumed he was enjoying his new Diamond Light feature.

Paul Taylor likes this.
  6. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

It's been a while. I normally stick to Reddit.

Anyhoo, Red Dwarf: The Promised Land. We've got a feature-length Red Dwarf. Where have I seen that before? BTE and, I guess, Back In The Red. Doesn't bode well.

But surprisingly, it worked. Mostly.

Negatives - I hated the cats. Every cat in the episode. Apart from Cat. They were cringey and obvious and the mannerisms of the three clerics made it appear as if they couldn't act. The cat-flap was neat the first time - very good joke, as was the laser pointer. Cat being converted himself. And the ship formation got a giggle.

The running time meant this probably had the most time to breathe, and it helped. Given the episodes we had in XI and XII the events of this could have been squeezed into a standard episode, with maybe losing the Anubis stone and diamond Rimmer, but it would have lost a lot of the depth. Bits which were added and had little payoff to the story paid off well in terms of characters. Rimmer's depression. The discussion about belief. There were a fair few others which were probably just padding, but I'm still grateful to them. Again, this us Red Dwarf with a lot more room to breathe, rather than "make a joke and move on".

Holly got by far the best of it though. Used sparingly (apart from the countdown at the end), the drawn-out moment of convincing him to download the old Holly's save state was brilliant, as was sending the torpedo ("is it safe?" "Yeah, I'm miles away") and that he'd already sent it.

Red Dwarf has also never looked better in terms of ship stuff. True, we don't see the impact as Starbug lands, and some of the shots are re-used (I never liked the one as it escapes from an exploding ship - its too obviously fake and overlaid) but a lot of it is brilliant.

But this brings me to the ending. The Anubis stone is a bit of a cop-out but I don't really mind that. What I did mind was the whole red laser thing. I mean, it works and saves the day and stuff, but that DOES feel like a cop-out. Cheap, quick, almost as if Doug wrote himself into a corner. Then we get Red Dwarf's equivalent of Star Wars episode 4's ending as everyone looks happy, and it ends.

Yet this is Good New Red Dwarf. And I capitalise that as it must be a thing now. Not on the same level, in my opinion, as M-Corp, Skipper or Officer Rimmer, but nearly. Most certainly, when taking everything into account, mostly good. The breathing room helped add depth that we just rarely see, which was the main selling point.

Ant E and Pembers like this.
  7. Jape of The Decade

Jape of The Decade First Technician

I need to see this in HD!

I'm quite suprised that an HD version hasn't appeared online yet. Normally you can find one within 24 hours. I'll buy the shiny disk when it comes out as I want to see this the way Doug intended it.

It's a just a shame I can't find it online as usual to add to my digital collection :-(

8. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Supply Officer

Well after reading everyone else’s reviews and opinions on here...here are some other thoughts of mine.

In my review I mentioned that there were “virtually no wasted lines.” Perhaps that was slightly overly positive because like others have mentioned the Cat and Rodon being brothers dialogue was pointless and went nowhere. Also I think I said it was constantly funny...I did find that I was laughing at nearly all of it but parts of it were more dramatic - to be fair I did mention how it was diverse - and that was a strength really. It was versatile and had a lot of different things.

Does anyone think that scene with Rimmer in low power state with Lister reminds them a bit of series 2’s Observation Deck scenes?

The only thing I do think still is the pay off was not totally Deus Ex Machina because on the spaceship where they meet the clerics it is set up how Rimmer has the potential to become a superhero via a hologrammatic upgrade. But the Anubis Stone does make it slightly Deus Ex Machina. That’s the only thing I still didn’t like about this 2020 special - apart from the adverts (though still thank you very much Dave/UKTV) - but overall I think the resolution was good enough as like I said I like Russell T’s similar ones in early New Who and I even grew to love Siliconia’s fast ending. Also possibly despite the sprawling length - but nearly all worthwhile apart from a few tiny wasted bits here and there - I would agree the ending was slightly rushed. But ultimately the ending was still decent and thrilling enough (I still think Rimmer shining a light at Rodon was sufficiently clever and rounded it off well) for an episode that is in effect the equivalent of a TV Movie.

In terms of filling in the history of the Cat Race well I totally agree with repeating it as not everyone who watched it will have been Red Dwarf fans from the beginning or as ardent as us and it would not have made sense to them. For example, a relative of mine tried to watch Steven Moffat’s Davros episodes back in 2015 and gave up after a few minutes because without knowing the history and there being no reminders, she could not follow the story even though those are both really strong series 9 episodes.

Finally, I am really glad most people - it appears - have enjoyed it or at least most of it because like I said although series 2-6 will always be the RD peak, Doug has shown with both series 11/12 and this special especially, that he still remains very capable of writing Red Dwarf of true quality on his own too. Have to see whether we get more, but hopefully. Additionally, it is nice to see some of the old gang back on the forum and I enjoyed reading everyone’s opinions.

Rating - minimum an 8. Might be a 9 if it improves even more when I re-watch the Blu-ray release. But if Give and Take is a 10, Skipper a 9 and The Beginning an 8.5 - then for now I would have to say The Promised Land gets an 8.75 from me. But I have only watched it once so will have to see whether it changes in June when it will hopefully be delivered.

9. UltraDevotee

Another thing I would like to add is that the Paul Farrer music score for The Promised Land was fabulous and gave it a real epic TV Movie quality.

Asclepius and H is for Hologram like this.
  10. Alexandra

Alexandra First Technician

I like it!!!
    It had everything!!
    Something was missing at the end battle, but I can live with it :-)
    And I finaly got the answer what would Cat do if faced with religion of his people :lol::lol::lol:
    If only there was more confrontation with his brother. I like that we get to know Cat better.
    I like grey Rimmer scenes. I got nostalgic when Rimmer changed trough uniforms. And Lister was back in series I look for a moment.
    I like his talk with Lister.
    And they all realy did great job :nod:
    Aaaaaand... Anubis wasn't a cat!!!!!!!!?????

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    UltraDevotee likes this.
  11. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

On my second viewing and without the adds, I thought it much better than the first watch. On the first watch there were a few cringe parts though, to name a couple of bad things the cat flap in the first few minutes was a bit "pantomime" as was the holly floppy disk. The three Cloister followers were rotten wooden and fake.
    Why does Doug Naylor always want to make the antagonists in the new Dave era Dwarf so ridiculous and pathetic, what has happened to real baddies with intent.

All that said on second viewing I did enjoythe new Dwarf outing. Fix the other stuff I say and RD would be amazing again.

12. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Console Officer

Isn't that part of the Joke though, Anubis is a dog and the cats got it wrong. Woooof.

But Anubis is the god of death and the stone saved kyrten from death. ??

13. Alexandra

Alexandra First Technician

But Kryten was never that wrong. I love mythology so I was surprised to see that mistake specialy after Asclepius. There is Bast. Bast was cat.

14. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

Although it was bit of a shame not to have Howard Goodall aboard for this special, Paul's score was terrific. With the respect to the main theme I must say this was one of the best scores Red Dwarf ever had. It really makes it feel epic and the 'I am home'/ship of fools scene wouldn't be as emotional without it.

It's worth pointing out that he released some part of it online. This is my favourite bit.

UltraDevotee likes this.
  15. UltraDevotee

Agreed, it was a shame to not have Howard Goodall present, but Farrer massively more than made up for it. Great work!

16. UltraDevotee

I don't know whether I am different in opinion from most people on here but I agree with the fans on Doug's twitter that the Cat Flap and Floppy Disc were top comedy gold. True they were silly, but like the slapstick in even series 2-6, they worked for me and they got great laughs.

Also although I missed the models of old, am I in a minority on this forum who thought that the CGI looked rather excellent and much superior to the equivalent in BtE?

17. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

When I heard the score/music I’m afraid I was like, “Howard who”??!!!

18. Pembers

Pembers Console Officer

How ungrateful

19. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

I owe nobody nothing!!! :sulk:

20. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Well apparently alot of the music howard put together for series 12 wasn't used. thats why he never released an music album for 12, because no one would recognize most of the music.

Whether he was fine about that. who knows. i guess alot of it got wasted in a way.

Most of the music in 12 was recycled stuff from earlier shows.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020