Space Corps uniforms

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by MisterBuch, Nov 18, 2012.

1. MisterBuch

MisterBuch Second Technician

This is an incredibly slight and inconsequential niggle of mine, but I wanted to whinge about the inconsistent Spae Corps uniforms in Red Dwarf's history. I understand there are numerous perfectly good reasons, but it just annoys me how there appear to be anywhere up to 9 different uniforms on Red Dwarf. Does this annoy anyone else, or have you any clever excuses for it?

In series 1, 2 and 8 we see beige/grey trousers, shirt and tie for everyone from 2nd tech to Captain. Okay, fair enough. Dull, but you know, the 80's. There are also those white uniforms for Admirals. Again, no problem.
    In series 2 the technicians are also seen in boiler suits of various colours. That's easy enough to excuse - they had to do some work which would have damaged their beige shirts and ties.
    But then in series 3 and 4 we see Rimmer's Captain Emerald costume, complete with some kind of badge and a little hat. And a vest with braces underneath. Who on board was supposed to wear these, if not the Captain? And surely Rimmer is underqualified for such a spiffy outift. We also see this same outfit in Holoship, worn by another RD crewman, so we know this is official RD gear.
    And of course in series 5 Rimmer switches to a red variant. Again, we see another crewman dressed in it in Holoship, so we know it's official. There are two colours to this? Why, and how on Earth does it fit with the grey/beige tie and shirt combo? And also you can optionally replace the tunic with a quilted, shiny sweater? WHY! Arrrgh my life is so empty that I care about this!
    In series 6 Rimmer changes both of the red outfits to blue, and this is very easily explained by the hard light switch. One would assume that no-one onboard Red Dwarf ever wore blue tunics or sweaters, but rather Rimmer (or Legion) is using the colour to denote light status. No problem, thank you 6 for changing his colour without over-complicating things.
    But then in the flashbacks to series 7.... we see Rimmer and Kochanski BOTH in blue shirt-suits with white piping..... WHAT NO WHY
    And then Red Dwarf X introduces the Trojan uniforms, worn on at least two Space Corps ships. So officers, and sims, here have an all new one.

So one must assume that the corridors of Red Dwarf, before the accident, would have looked quite extraordinary. Everyone from second technician to Captain wore a beige/grey shirt, pants and tie (long or short sleeves depending on fashion), unless it was that brief period when they played around with blue shirt suits and then discarded them apparently, except for some officers (and presumably lower crewmn if they felt like it) who wore bright green or red tunics and spaceman caps with insignia, or shiny quilted sweaters if they preferred, or Trojan uniforms if they were on the really fancy ships and of any rank, unless they were an Admiral in which case it was a white uniform dress suit, unless they were doing manual labour in which case they wore a yellow or blue jumpsuit, unless they were Lister in which case it was a Zero-Gee t-shirt.

Objection. I want an apology.

2. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Just to point out something that might reduce your concern a little.

As far as I can tell The Space Corps and the JMC aren't the same thing. Lister and Rimmer aren't in the Space Corps, they work for the JMC.
    Admittedly the whole 'Space Corps directives' introduced in Quarantine kind of muddles the whole thing as there is technically no reason for them to follow those rules unless the one is part of the other.

p.s, I'm not entirely sure you should be talking about series X plot details in this section of the forum yet.

3. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

I always assumed that in series 3 they redesigned/retconned what a hologram would look like - so instead of wearring their 'living' uniform like in 1-2 they would wear a specially made hologram uniform since a hologram wouldn't need the functional aspects that a living crew member would require. I always imagined living crew would still wear the beige trousers and shirts and boiler suits seen in 1,2 and 8.

In Holoship the other crew members are holograms, so that reinforced my theory.

1-2 Holograms were rendered as to 'blend in'.
    3 onwards holograms were rendered as to stand out.

4. MisterBuch

Pardon me. I've changed it so that nothing is given away. Cheers.

But good point about the JMC and Space Corps. The JMC and Red Dwarf itself would have their own uniforms, rather than everyone in the Corps wearing the same. I always assumed that the Space Corps was some kind of UN-style thing that governed spacecraft of all ownerships and purposes in Lister's time.

This still leaves quite a few uniforms on Red Dwarf though. The blue one from S7 is especialy confounding.

And excellent point about the Captain Emerald unforms being some ort of Hologram-only design. I love that. Nice one!

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I'm of the view JMC is part of the Space Corps. I see The Space Corps as an organisation which runs everything space related. As such it would have plenty of other sections too. JMC is involved in mining (although I'm sure there are probably others too which are also part of the space corps.) Others would be involved in scientific missions, others exploration. Some research. Others military. And quite possibly they'd each have their own uniforms too.

Concerning Rimmer's uniform, it occurred to me that it might just be something he chose. Possibly the uniform from another ship he preferred. He might even have designed it himself. (It seems Cat and Lister found the green uniform particularly ridiculous suggesting it wasn't regulation.) The fact Rimmer's replacements in Holoship wore it (well the red version) could simply be due to the fact they were utilising his light bee and the clothing programming remained from Rimmer. (Bearing in mind The Enlightenment had taken over the generation of Rimmer at that juncture. I think.)

Concerning the piping uniform in Ouroboros, some people use 'parallel universe' as an explanation. Not me, as I think it's clear that the back-flash showed the moment the two timelines branched - namely Frankenstein mewing/not mewing alerting/not alerting Kochanski. So up until then, the universes, and therefore people and uniforms are the same. This is the earliest time period we have seen the Dwarfers though. So maybe they adopted the grey uniforms a bit later.

Or they're the same uniforms as far as the in-world characters are concerned, they just look different to us the viewers. :-D Kinda like the two versions of Kochanski. (No that's not a parallel universe explanation either for the above reason. And the fact Lister recognised her.)

6. Rue_Dwarf

Rue_Dwarf Supply Officer

If I remember the uniform discussion with Chris Barrie at EMSBearlier this year, he talked about Rimmers different uniforms being changed to be more 'hologrammy', and a little 'nod to TV land' were the words he used. I understand the 'Hologrammy' thing as they wanted to make him appear a little more sci-fi and shiny :-p

7. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

One thing that confused me was in Series 7 there's a scene in Blue about the locker room game.

Is it me or were they implying Rimmer was in soft light mode during that scene? Even though he was in his blue uniform? Seemed like they were flashing back to earlier times shortly after the accident. It was on Red Dwarf which made no sense since Rimmer went blue while trapped on Starbug. I always thought it was weird seeing Lister in leather and Rimmer in blue acting like old Rimsy and Listy from seasons 1-2.

8. Rottencarrot

Rottencarrot Skutter

Who cares.

I know people like to get really engrossed in something. We all enjoy escapism in one form or another whether it's computer games, books, films etc. But one thing I have never understood is why some people make such a fuss about continuity errors.

I mean, when something ridiculous happens in Family Guy you just accept that anything can happen because it's a cartoon. When Peter does something which should have lasting consequences for his family it's all back to normal the next episode. This is acceptable because it's a comedy.

Red Dwarf is a comedy. It's not real. Suspension of disbelief is hardly difficult when watching a man being chased by living vindaloo. It's entertainment, just enjoy it.

9. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

Some people enjoy discussing these things.

10. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

The blue uniforms seen in 'Ouroboros' were not the uniforms as worn by the crew of Red Dwarf in the prime universe. They are another of the minor differences in Kochanski's universe, like how she was the one to find Frankenstein and be subsequently court martialed.

Also, in regards to Rimmer's green and red tunics in III, IV & V, it seems to be a simple case of Rimmer relaxing and bending the rules a little. He was anal retentive enough to keep wearing the uniform of the Jupiter Mining Corporation long after it ceased to exist, so along with moving into the Officer's Quarters, Lister's relaxed attitued towards wearing his own clothes and piloting Starbug, he seems to have followed suit and designed his own snazzier uniform.

I presume the reason the other holograms who appear at the interview in 'Holoship' are wearing Rimmer's new tunic outfits simply because he has changed the default settings. So everytime he has to be rebooted, he doesn't end up in his old uniform and having to get Holly to change it back to his new outfit.

P.S. The scene in 'Blue' could take place sometime between 'Back to Reality' and 'Psirens'. Rimmer might have started wearing his new padded uniform, even in blue, sometime before they lost Red Dwarf.

11. Rottencarrot

Rottencarrot Skutter

Fair enough, if your idea of a good time is to find fault with something you otherwise enjoy then that's fine. However some people are genuinely annoyed by stuff like this and I think that's a shame!

12. MisterBuch

I'm sorry you're annoyed by my bringing this up, but - you know - I don't think that's anyone's fault but your own.

Please don't think I don't 'just enjoy' Red Dwarf. I do enjoy it, on an unhealthily regular basis. But sometimes I wonder about the little things, just to amuse myself. The tiny, tiny flaws in the show don't spoil my enjoyment of my favourite programme by one iota. I just think they're interesting and amusing.

As for 'Who cares' - well, me. I care about pretty much everything to do with Red Dwarf. You know how a man in love will lie awake and stare at a mole on his girlfriend's elbow and wonder how it got there? That's what this thread is. I'm not sure how it offends you.

13. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Okay...now explain to me what the "Space Federation" (BITR Part 1) and Starfleet (BTE) are! :lol:

14. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I'll admit... I don't tend to count them. Just way to Star-trekky.

Oooookaaaay. Time to put my thinking cap on...

The Space Federation is the political organisation that rules the various colonies and, well the space corps. (I said the Space Corps is everything space related but, I think I might have been a bit premature there if we take the Federation into account. Although I suppose the federation could be the political arm/government of the corps. 'Corps does seen a bit military though doesn't it, but it's obviously more than than since JMC crew-members are members of the space corps as well (in my opinion.)

Okay then.

Space Corps- the overall organisation.
    The Federation- the government.
    Star Fleet - literally the fleet of ships. OR the governing organisation of the ships, subset to the space corps which covers everything else space related as well.

Or Doug just forgot his original terminology. ;-)

15. lidders2k

lidders2k Second Technician

Wasn't Lister's black jacket in the early series a Red Dwarf jacket? I thought that was the coolest bit of uniform.

With Rimmer's unifroms changing, I think it was just one of his ideas as he was the highest ranking on the ship.

16. SixthDwarfer

SixthDwarfer Supply Officer

Yeah, Lister's bomber jacket was labeled Red Dwarf and had his rank pips on the left breast. Perhaps it's an optional part of the uniform, like the Eisenhower jacket Rimmer wears in 'The End' and the orange jumpsuit he has in 'Stasis Leak'.

17. MisterBuch

That bomber jacket was so cool. I forgot all about that.

18. longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone

longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone Second Technician

I've mentioned this here before when this came up previously, but my take on the later series uniforms were that they were standard JMC/Spare Corps. issue at some point post-accident. Possibly years, or centuries, later. After spending some time looting/exploring/rescuing Kryten in the early days they certainly would have become aware of events and details of life in the time that had elapsed in the 3,000,000 year gap. Rimmer undoubtedly took a liking to the alternate uniform styles that didn't yet exist in his day and switched.

For example, the uniforms worn by the dead crew of the Nova 5 (a ship launched long after the radiation leak on Red Dwarf) were somewhat similar to Rimmer's series V red uniform variant, insignia aside.

19. MisterBuch

That's excellent. Nice idea.

20. lidders2k

lidders2k Second Technician

I had always assumed that the stasis leak suits were something to do with them getting PD. I know they were going to get into space suits to do it but you wouldn't wear your normal gear under a space suit really.