Stories for specials

Discussion in 'RED DWARF: THE PROMISED LAND' started by Pembers, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Holoship? Who cares about them?

Also, how would you explain the ageing if they are "super humans"?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

3. Jape of The Decade

Jape of The Decade First Technician

I always thought of the VIII crew as 'not real' as Kryten states the nano's developed a virus, hence the 'spooky' changes in the ship, so maybe they weren't human after all and had some major defect...

I can imagine them stumbling across an endangered civilization (Meltdown Style) or an old Starbug/Blue Midget aimlessly floating in space containing some survivors with some kind of weird twist...

I too agree. If they were to make one more special I would like to see the crew finally return to Earth, whether it be Garbage World or a completely different idea it would be great to see!

Yup. What this guy said...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  4. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

"This guy"? :-S

I happen to be a well respected individual.

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Isn't that what Doug did in his Last Human novel?

Whats interesting though is that according to Richard Naylor, an early script for what become The Promised Land actually involved one of the characters having a Daughter. now im gonna theorise that it was Lister who was gonna find out he had a daughter and that Doug changed it from Daughter thinking her father was something he wasn't and Lister couldn't tell her the truth to The Cat race thinking lister is a god and he couldn't tell them the truth. its actually pretty easy to change the story but keep the overall arc.

It would also explain the Kryten gag about Lister needing to repopulate at the start. especially if it was in an early script.

Also would make your question where a Daughter from Lister would come from? maybe Doug did plan on bringing back the nano-crew and he was gonna have a daughter among them with a one night stand or something. you never know.

6. Jape of The Decade

"What a guy" :-)

7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I don't wanna see anything of earth at this point. maybe when the show ends perhaps, even if Doug has made that sound unlikely. but i think it risks breaking the universe abit to show them finding earth. one thing you don't wanna do is take away hope from Listers journey. and explaining too much could take that away.

With the novels i think it worked because the novels took far more risks then the tv show does. as the tv show tends to hit the reset button fairly often.

Same with Lister constantly finding new humans and then trying to pass the loneliness angle. it gets too much. at some point you either take the risk and make a change. or you avoid that risk and just go on as you are. i don't think Red Dwarf can have it both ways. and it certainly has tried for a long time to have it both ways. Doug certainly embraces his guest stars. even if it makes you question how lister can be lonely when they are finding new people constantly.

8. Asclepius

Asclepius Console Officer

Earth should remain the unachievable goal. If it wasn't the end, it would be really weird.

Also, what is the reason for bringing holoship crew back?

9. Asclepius

Why are you so obsessed with the nano-crew?

10. Jape of The Decade

To me that moment was taken away as soon as they found the time drive in Tikka..

Doug will never make a final episode. We are just in risky territory with how many more they can make so if there's a story there it really should be told. I don't think a return to Earth would signal the end of the show at this point, just an interesting idea...

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I ain't obsessed with the nano-crew. just hearing Doug theorize what happened to to the crew, even if it was just a thought off the top of his head to answer a question, has got me thinking its a possibility.

Before i would have said Doug probably would never have done it. Doug wouldn't wanna remind people that the crew are still out there. especially with the amount of times he talks about the radiation leak thing. but now i ain't too sure.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  12. Eddiebadassdavis

Eddiebadassdavis Supply Officer

I shall succumb to my computer and write something soon

Pembers and Nikki the Great like this.
  13. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

YES!

Eddiebadassdavis and Pembers like this.
  14. Asclepius

is it christmas yet?

Eddiebadassdavis likes this.
  15. kochanskitis

kochanskitis Third Technician

Personally i'd just like to see resolution of the Kochanskis arc.

Pembers and Ant E like this.
  16. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Agree. You’re a much missed member @kochanskitis! We are all thrilled you’re back especially @Nikki the Great

17. Asclepius

Quite easy to misread your name, isn't it.

Nikki the Great likes this.
  18. Nikki the Great

Nikki the Great Flight Co-Ordinator

I don't remember him sadly, but I am sure you're right.
    Yeah I was convinced this said Kochanskistits