We need the applause..!

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by mugglemaz, Apr 11, 2009.

1. mugglemaz

mugglemaz Skutter

I watched last night and I think it def needs the applause..just not the same and it makes the dialogue seem more awkward IYKWIM...I hope if there is a new series they consider this. It makes a huge difference in my opinion. Still love the actors and the script though!:lol:

2. sickling_farion

sickling_farion Skutter

I Tottaly agree, i was dissapointed to hear nothing but silence, and see what were great jokes, and comedy send ups, fall flat.
    Normally Cat would get huge laughs for his wardrobe choice, Listers use of snot to iron and Rimmer dancing while they were being attacked, however i felt like i was watching some weird artsy short film. There needs to be canned laughter, its what makes it extra funny otherwise the great jokes, and characters we love are totally different.

I know there was talk of making back to eart feature length, and this is possibly why the laughter was removed, but i hope they have opted for a more traditional approach next time around.

Other than that, a very good come back episode :-D x

3. mugglemaz

mugglemaz Skutter

They said it was to keep the script secret and wasnt filmed infront of live audience..canned laughter would have done though...hope producers pay attention to these threads..think it could make a difference to it being a hit and total failure. Loyal fans from 10yrs ago will stay with it (maybe..though I def will!!)..others will just switch of.

4. Teatime

Teatime Third Technician

I liked it without the laughter... it suited the fact that the script wasn't particularly sitcom-y

5. magnusgreel

magnusgreel First Technician

We watch comedy films without laughs or applause.

6. MacabreMagpie

MacabreMagpie Catering Officer

You have to remember that the lack of an audience was due to the budget (according to bobbyllew). The tone of the show was probably changed to better suit this, and if you look at how much more subtle the humour was, a laughter track wouldn't have fit with it.

I think shows without laughter tracks are better these days. Red Dwarf has just grown up with it's audience.

7. Domw

Domw Skutter

It needs some sort of noise, there were parts that just seemed too quiet.

8. tinstar

tinstar Third Technician

They took the decision to omit canned laughter/applause to show give it a more filmic feel. The script sadly wasn't up to the job in all honesty, so there were great chasms of silence which made it all the more noticeable. It didn't really work, so I guess there will never be a film. However they could have a successful tenth series with live audience as before, and who knows... a film may be possible.

9. cyberkilla

cyberkilla Second Technician

I have to agree. It had some of the Red Dwarf feel to it, but I also felt that there was a serious filmy side.
    When you bring RD back, you have to revive the cheesy laughs too:-)

Everybody knows that something seems funnier when there are other people laughing along with you. It's part of our DNA:-)

10. Beth1983

Beth1983 Second Technician

Red Dwarf doesn't have the same feel when not filmed in front of a live audience. The actors obviously feed off of the energy of the audience for RD and it makes their performances better.

It's not just the at home audience missing the laughs (they didn't film 8 in front of a live audience either and it had the same feeling of not quite as good performance wise)

It was the main thing I was worried about and turns out I should have been.

11. Windfola

Windfola Third Technician

No we don't! Look, it's just my opinion obviously, but I think that adding laughter would be a big mistake. The show has evolved, it's moved into the 21st century, and adding a laugh track to this current style would just be horribly cheesy. I for one am a very happy camper. :-)

12. dapperdan

dapperdan Skutter

Well I've never had any touble knowing when to laugh. I guess The Royle Family, Early Doors or Curb Your Enthusiasm are not on your viewing list?

Kryten and Rimmer were funny, Cat and Lister not so. I wish I could view some of my favourite episodes with no fanboy laughter.

13. cyberkilla

cyberkilla Second Technician

When you pull a show out of the past, you have to give people what they expect. The cheesy laughter track is a pivotal component of the show. That's just my opinion though. It's the only thing I felt lacking. Perhaps I'll feel different after tonight's episode.

That is an entirely different kind of comedy. I like the first two a lot. I think Curb Your Enthusiasm is crap, however.
    Red Dwarf is not the same pace and the jokes are more crude. Personally, I couldn't name many other programs that benefit from a live audience as much as RD.

Well, perhaps Friends. Imagine Friends with no laughter? A lot of the atmosphere would disappear. No need to be on the defensive. I think they've done a great job. I'm just saying, if they make another series, I hope they stretch the budget to include an audience.

14. Choostopher

Choostopher Skutter

I agree if definately needed the applause, I found it so flat that I actually didn't get a laugh out of the whole episode.

I found the same thing when I watched the extras on the season 7 discs with enhanced graphics but no laugh over track it was just bland.

15. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

Personally I didn't mind the lack of laughter.....
    Considering the more filmic approach they took in making BTE in a weird way I think laughter would've been out of place, that's something I didn't think I'd be saying.

16. vals99

vals99 Skutter

I thoroughly agree. At first I couldn't put my finger on what was missing, but about half way though I realised that the laughter and applause was missing.

I would have thought it easy to resolve if the powers that be decide to add it.

I think the BBC have made a HUGE mistake in rejecting a 9th series. Although Red Dwarf was popular here in the UK, it is MASSIVE in the US. Lets hope the BBC's loss can be Dave's gain.